It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP: FEMA may put storm victims in foreclosed homes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

AP: FEMA may put storm victims in foreclosed homes

www.google.com

MIAMI (AP) — The federal government is exploring how to put Florida hurricane evacuees in foreclosed homes if a Katrina-like storm devastates the region and shelters, hotels and other housing options are full.

Officials told The Associated Press on Tuesday that it is an effort to find some benefit in the foreclosure crisis and keep people close to their homes and communities instead of scattering them around the country, which happened when Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans and other parts of coastal Louisiana and Mississippi almost four years ago. Thousands of victims who lost the
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
cbs4.com
www.foxnews.com

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
At first glance this seems to be a potential solution should a strong hurricane hit the Gulf coast area like the New Orleans Katrina event a few years ago...

They are trying to prevent the mass exodus that happened in New Orleans but who can blame those who left and started over elsewhere..

Something just doesn't sit right though, it probably has to do with it being FEMA, an agency that gets alot of raised eyebrows here at ATS.

So is there something else driving this move or is it just a solution to a potential problem?

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Finally it seems as if we may have someone who has their head on straight and is trying to find a solution to a possible major problem while at the same time utilize some of the empty homes the government has bought; which by the way we as taxpayers hold part ownership in.

I also believe that any unfortunate families that have to go through a natural disaster should be allowed to live in these homes rent free with all necessary utilities until such time as they would be able to find work and take over payment of utilities and be given an option to buy the home. This would prevent some of the damage to these homes that you see in the FEMA trailers.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Pappa_Bear

Good idea yes but it isn't government owned homes they were mentioning, it was foreclosed homes and the banks would be getting paid rent for the use of them...

The idea is still being developed, but FEMA would likely contact banks, other mortgage holders and their representatives to compile a list of available homes. The evacuees would then be assigned homes close to their own and FEMA would use a contractor, acting as its agent, to pay rent directly to whoever owns the home, said Jon Arno, FEMA's individual assistance branch director for Florida. His duties include finding temporary housing for disaster victims.
from source linked in OP.

However, your gov't owned property deal you mentioned might be one of the angles used, if you add in the economic mess the taxpayers are in.. something to think about for sure.

We'll have to keep an eye out as this FEMA plan is developed and see what changes are made in their plan.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Well it looks like this was sprung from a FEMA hurricane exercise, and this idea was one tossed out as a possible way to keep misplaced citizens in foreclosed homes close to the area.

However, this article brings up possible legal problems with the plan..

Foreclosed, vacant houses as storm refuges for hurricane survivors?

It seemed like a good idea at the time: Why not put hurricane survivors in foreclosed homes?

But it soon created its own storm as bankers warned of massive legal and financial complications.

A Federal Emergency Management Agency spokesman Wednesday called it a "theoretical option" that came up during hurricane exercises. It is not current policy, he said.

"I credit FEMA for thinking outside the box," said Alex Sanchez, president and CEO of the Florida Bankers Association. "Who doesn't want to help Florida families after a hurricane? It's an idea worth examining. But there are just a lot of legal obstacles in the process."

So we will have to see if this is the end, or if this idea is looked into further..

For posterity, here's another piece on the topic:

FEMA hurricane plan:
foreclosed homes

MIAMI - The federal government is exploring how to put Florida hurricane evacuees in foreclosed homes if a Katrina-like storm devastates the region and shelters, hotels and other housing options are full.

Jim Young is one of the victims of Florida's foreclosure crisis. He lives right next door to a home that's been abandoned for months.

"It drives down property values for sure," Young said.

ed:sp

[edit on 6/4/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pappa_Bear
I also believe that any unfortunate families that have to go through a natural disaster should be allowed to live in these homes rent free with all necessary utilities until such time as they would be able to find work and take over payment of utilities and be given an option to buy the home. This would prevent some of the damage to these homes that you see in the FEMA trailers.

Let's be honest, that should be filed under

"NICE IN THEORY"

"DISASTER IN REALITY"

just creating more welfare dependences- I mean who is gonna bother trying to find work when you are living rent free with amenities paid- in terms of "legitimate" work, not too many, most will either mooch on their ass or work "illegitimately"

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

Originally posted by Pappa_Bear

Let's be honest, that should be filed under

"NICE IN THEORY"

"DISASTER IN REALITY"

just creating more welfare dependences- I mean who is gonna bother trying to find work when you are living rent free with amenities paid- in terms of "legitimate" work, not too many, most will either mooch on their ass or work "illegitimately"

Your right!! Who wants to get work when your rent is free.. But if any of you have been through the program for FEMA assistance you will know it is not "FREE" so to speak. It is grant money and grant moey is NOT an open faucet.. If you are devastated in an event, then your fill out your assistance application and go from there. This is a great idea but a lot of bugs need to be worked out and agreed upon by all parties involved.... FEMA doesn't let you get out scot free.... And on a personal note I don't think anyone should get off scot free. I will only help those who help themselves but everyone has a story and some can't but it is obvious a lot of time to tell who can and can't...

One of the problems I see is. that after a major disaster, you get placed in one of these homes. Who's to say that if it's in the area it's not damaged as well.. Now if you go outside the immediate area of the disaster verses slipping everyone into hotels 100+miles out You can place your local people much closer to their damaged home as well as still having the individual be a part of a community that is close to their home allowing them to get a job and fix their home with any grant money they may receive... Sounds good and easy as I type, but Like I said a lot of bugs to work out..

Plus remember this is only rent not all of your living expenses. With a hotel - you pay a flat fee but with a house you pay rent, water, sewage and electric. These are the basics - now if you’re talking cable, satellite, your personal phone bill.... FEMA shouldn't and as far as I know doesn't pay that....

Just like at any hotel a disaster victim may get placed into - any extra charges are on you not FEMA.. Your get a pay preview movie - you pay, it's your dime....

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
reply to post by Pappa_Bear

Good idea yes but it isn't government owned homes they were mentioning, it was foreclosed homes and the banks would be getting paid rent for the use of them...

What if they just take the houses temporarily because banks owe so much money and just knock off a bit of the debt? They could be using these emergency storm situations as a buffer for what is owed. If it doesn't make any sense sorry I just woke up

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Estharik

Taking the houses temporarily....

that's the conspiracy angle I had, if they get their FEDERAL foot in the door...

How long until THEY decide that temporary means as long as deemed necessary..

or worse...

permanent

I know big speculation, but you have to nip these possibilities in the bud, plus some of the CTers here have me thinking WAY outside of the box

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
So FEMA, a Federal agency, wants to use foreclosed homes owned by banks who received a Federal bailout to shelter disaster victims? Makes since to me as those victims/taxpayers are ultimately footing the bill on the bailout anyway.

Seriously, there is no end to all of this Banking/Housing/Bail-out hocus pocus.

[edit on 4/6/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I'm sorry, I just don't feel bad for people who live in Hurricane Central and expect rescued every time a storm rolls through.

So after these evacuees trash a foreclosed home who picks up the tab to fix the house back up?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I do sympathize with those who lost their home in a disaster, however I sympathize more with the people that had their homes forclosed on and repossessed.

Why not just let the original owners of the homes rent them and perhaps when their economic condition improves; buy them back or continue with a renegotiated loan.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I'm sorry, I just don't feel bad for people who live in Hurricane Central and expect rescued every time a storm rolls through.

So after these evacuees trash a foreclosed home who picks up the tab to fix the house back up?

Not everyone expects this - maybe it's the majority I don't know the stats but there are those who truely help themselves in time of need and prepare as they should.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The individual in need of assistance, living in the home is on the hook for the damage (if any) - now it may take some time to get that but it does happen.. both ways.. anyone who is a disaster victim and FEMA places them into housing they sign a rental agreement.. But then again you can't get blood from a turnip

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Wait a minute! This clearly needs to be filed under WTF
!!!

So, let me understand the rationale here... The government wants to house people who are homeless because they were stupid enough to live in a natural disaster zone in someone else's house, who is now homeless because they were foreclosed upon, and pay for it???

Why the *snip* doesn't the dumbass federal government just work on keeping people in their homes in the first place. Now we have musical houses going on at tax-payer expense. Can this dumbo-eared IDIOT in the White House, please remove his head from his ass and start doing something meaningful???

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I agree: nice work if you can get it.

How about a "break" of some sort for those of us still busting our butts to KEEP our homes,paid off or not???

We are just expected to keep bailing out, "understanding" the plights of victims of all sorts,and THEN we're going to be taxed to death on everything in our lives even MORE in the coming months as well as having to deal with rapidly escalting food costs and expenses.
Oh...and we are the ones "expected" to PAY for the no doubt government-sponsored "health insurance" that's heading our way that these people and many others will be "entitled" to as well as trying to keep up with the continuing to grow ever higher-premiums on our own insurance...

I love that flippin' word: entitled.

Where oh where is OUR "helping hand???"

I think that if these people are allowed to move into "anything" that's government-sponsored,either some sort of job-system or even un-paid volunteer work absolutely must be included in the mix.

They have to start requiring SOMETHING is return for all of these damn handouts,even if it's simply time and effort in an organized way.Would "create jobs" (that's a flippin' joke thus far...) and well as maybe instill the makings of some small businnes ops for those with something to work with.

I for one and really weary of being the REAL "victim" in all of these situations.

Sour grapes? You bet! Sorry for the sorta' rant,LOL!

[edit on 4-6-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I would be pissed if somebody else got to live in my house because I lost it and theirs got destroyed yet I would probably still be out on the streets because they had taken away what I had to lose.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Good idea then the lien holders can charge outrageous amounts of money for rental fees and the corruption will continue. Another point would You want these people in Your neighborhood? I wouldn't want them anywhere around my house. After Katrina the crime rate sky rocketed in my neck of the woods and I started noticing grafitii going up everywhere as gangs claimed new territory. I hate to break it to those punks but they can't claim territory because its already taken You # heads... Oh another point those people living in FEMA trailors are still there and it took the state governments 2 or more years to get them out of the so called free apartments.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
I would be pissed if somebody else got to live in my house because I lost it and theirs got destroyed yet I would probably still be out on the streets because they had taken away what I had to lose.

Well you know what - You (hypothetically) lost it (house) due to yourself.. There are many reasons why one looses a home - losing your job, medical reason and so on but if you just blatantly buy a house you KNOW you can not afford or you can barley make the payments on or some sales rep "slides" you in & you may refinanace with a balloon note, than it's your fault that you and possibly your wife put your family out on the street.. The economy hit a lot of people blindly (not all mind you) and hardly anyone was prepared for that HUMAN made disaster…..Why the heck would you put yourself out there like that is beyond me.. Some have no right losing their home but some sure as heck do!!! and if I live in an area that frequents tornados or hurricanes, or snow blizzards or flooding, or landslides or fires.. No one is beyond a disaster.. Those of you who are complaining about someone else living in tornado ally I am sure there is something near you that can cause a natural disaster no matter where you live.. My home is safe from flooding but not from lighting (rare as it may be).. So if you’re not prepared and you’re here complaining about someone else - look in the damn mirror and don’t you come to any shelter looking for food, clothing or a dry place to sleep your selfish head on cause they won’t let you in….. Well being the giving people they are they will open their hands and hearts to give you a dry place to lay your head and your family’s heads while you reorganize your life. Just like anything else, if you’ve never been there don’t talk about it because you can’t fathom what the consequences will bring to your life and those around you…

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I would also be concerned about how long they would be staying in the house. I live in a hurricane area and believe me....those FEMA trailers stayed around waaaaaay too long. I didn't have to live in one thankfully but still... they gave the people way too much cash and way too much time especially. On to another post...

Originally posted by kozmo
So, let me understand the rationale here... The government wants to house people who are homeless because they were stupid enough to live in a natural disaster zone in someone else's house, who is now homeless because they were foreclosed upon, and pay for it???

You sir are someone that doesn't need to be talking about stuipid people. There's an old saying something like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree? I live in a disaster area. You probably do too but it doesn't happen every year or quite as often. Everyone is living in a disaster area. Imagine if yellowstone errupted or there was a giant tsunami on the coast of america. Where I live we don't get hit with hurricanes EVERY year but it's a possibility and out of my life... the last few years were bad. I'm not saying give me another house that someone got kicked out of because they wouldn't pay the bills and I need a place to stay but seriously... some people that you consider "stupid" for living there have no choice... and some of these "stupid people" actually take measures to make sure damages are minimal and we DON'T have to stay somewhere we don't want to. You think living in a hotel for weeks with a ton of people you don't know is fun? Try getting some ice or even some of that fancy "continental breakfast". All the donuts are gone by 7am!

Just to add from my rant there... When we did have to stay out of town... when we got back the only assistance we got was a chainsaw to hack down the tree that fell on the garage we finished about 2 weeks before the storm hit

We ended up chopping down another 2 trees that were potential threats (see my comment on preparing for another disaster and bringing the damage to a minimal) so that if it does happen again we can sit in OUR HOUSE and wait for the power to come back on.

edit for format~

[edit on 4-6-2009 by Estharik]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
When your dug in the "trenches" so to speak it isn't any fun - and you are correct.. When a disaster strikes - you have soo many different levels of society with in just a "hotel" that it can get quiet scary just being there.. What I do hate is those who don't do anything and expect to be helped, then B**ch about what they do get and don't help themselves or others around them..

edit for spelling

[edit on 4-6-2009 by hdchop]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join