It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican truckers sue U.S. government over ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Mexican truckers sue U.S. government over ban

www.reuters.com

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexican truckers are suing the United States for $6 billion over Washington's refusal to allow Mexican haulers onto its roads as required under the NAFTA trade pact, a trucking association said on Monday.
About 4,500 trucking companies represented by Mexico's National Cargo Transportation Association (Canacar) are involved in the lawsuit, according to Canacar
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.economyincrisis.org
www.economyincrisis.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Mexican Truckers Want to Suspend Pilot Program in U.S.
Mexican truckers' free travel put on hold

[edit on 3/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
As many of you know the saga against the Mexican truckers is no over, after the initial win of our USA truckers over foreigners now we are to face another blow, our tax payer money is to pay for their "loses" 6 billion dollars.

We all know that this will be filed under the NAFTA agreement and enforced by the WTO.

Because we the USA have not power over this two organizations we will be the losers on this new sue.

America may be broke but rest assure this Mexican law sue will win and we will pay

Our nation trade polices has never been in favor of this nation but in favor of any foreign country that over power the US through the WTO.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

As a trucker of 30 years I can tell you that if they are allowed to continue with this suit, the private American trucker is doomed. The corporate trucker will be so restricted as to make it impossible to work. I'll wager that the safety inspections of Mexican truckers will be made illegal while our trucks will be scrutinized with a magnifying glass!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

I have been following this for over a year already and you are not alone is many American people that has nothing to do with the Truckers in the US that are angry as me for what the NATA has done to America and specially our US truckers.

Is very unfair and you have to see who is behind this and the reason why, nothing but big corporate America wanting cheap labor no matter who they step on while doing it and in this instance is the US truckers.

But as usual the WTO overpower our own nation when it comes to what they call unfair practices but what our butt kisser government is not taking into consideration is that when it comes to unfair practices other foreign countries have the right to enforce them but not our nation.

How fair is that.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
they might not win ...

Living in a border state and being a truck driver I see their trucks come and go all the time... I also see then]m sent home just as often...

Sure they can get get their trucks through is they pass a safety inspection but their drivers are handed a card and if they cant read what's on it guess what happens?
Fedreal motor carrier safety rules Subpart B—Qualification and disqualification of drivers
§391.11 General qualifications of drivers.
(b)(2) Can read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with the general public, to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records.

Oh sure they claim we violated the treaty but they never did try to comply with our safety regs... Come on now you really don't expect us to let an unqualified driver who cant read the signs and maybe behind the wheel of an unsafe 80,000 lbs rolling accident waiting to happen, to have free access to our highways do you?

As for their truck safety they have the list Part 571: Motor Carrier Vehicle Safety Standards All they have to do is make sure their trucks meet our standards and their good...

so they know what they have to do, their not doing it, and they want to sue rather than comply... I don't see that working out to well for them

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Amigo,
Up here in the N.E. corridor that happens all the time with French Canadian truckers. They can't read or speak english. Out of NJ the Chinese drivers get their licenses with no regard for the Federal regs. If you where being facetious I missed it. If you were actualy saying that it can't happen then I disagree!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Yes you are right the ban on the truck may stay, but the law sue will be won by the Mexican truckers a price that our nation tax payer will have to pay to enforce the ban.

Why? because the record that WTO have against the US and that is where the law sue is filed under.

US have not chance of wining this one the same way that we had not chance in previous law sues of winning.

Any politician that voted for the WTO under the Clinton administration are nothing but traitors to Americas hard worker and tax payer citizens.

“The World Trade Organization (WTO) is a flawed international organization whose agreement with America limits our ability to act in our own best interest. It is a non-democratic, secretive global bureaucracy that usurps domestic sovereignty in the name of a trade agenda.”

www.economyincrisis.org...

So far neither Bush or Obama are doing anything to fix the problem, be by amendment or renegotiation

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone

Amigo,
Up here in the N.E. corridor that happens all the time with French Canadian truckers. They can't read or speak english. Out of NJ the Chinese drivers get their licenses with no regard for the Federal regs. If you where being facetious I missed it. If you were actualy saying that it can't happen then I disagree!

Zindo

No I'm not being facetious and I know it does happen within our own borders...managers hiring someone who should never been put behind the wheel but they needed anyone to fill that seat and they get away with it...right up until someone gets into a fatal accident then DOT crawls all over the company and goes threw their records with a fine tooth comb and shuts them down... that happens too... ya all

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The law suit doesn't bother me. What WILL anger me is if the U.S. government actually acknowledges the WTO purview over this and pays out.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If they can get their trucks to pass inspection, and know how to read/speak English, they should be allowed to haul in the U.S. However, they have proved that usually they cannot do either.

If you want a laugh, here you go. My wife does not speak English well and she has a licence to drive in CA. She can't even make a call to 411 to ask the number for a place she wants to go, but they let her drive. It's like that Family Guy episode with the Chinese woman driver changing 4 lanes of traffic on the freeway without a turn signal. "Good luck, Ya'll"...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Apples and oranges buddy ... she's in a car driving to school the market maybe a hair salon... that's hardly the same as her driving a tanker truck with 7,800 gallons of gasoline going threw a major city she's never been to before...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

So far US is powerless under the WTO unfair practices, but the law sue does anger me, taking into consideration that we are after all in an economic crisis, we have lost 44% of our taxable income because of unemployment and industry loses. So why we have to shed 6 billion dollars because and organization that is nothing but full of non American friendly nations that wants nothing more than bring this nation to its knees say so.

Now that angers me and to think that our own government will bend over for their decisions anger me more.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I made my comment about the topic in my first paragraph. I added the part about my wife to make people laugh and show that anyone can drive here. Note: My smallest vehicle will still crush many cars on the road.

Edit to add: Hypothetically, the tanker truck with 7,800 gallons of gasoline that jack-knifes because my wife cut it off would still make a big mess.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by tamusan]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Our govt needs to sue the mexican govt for the hundreds of billions of $ we shell out every year in free schooling and free ER care and welfare for illegals and also incarceration for illegals that break the law.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

I didn't mean to slam you maybe a better way to phrase it is do you think she would have been given a Licence if she had to meet commercial driver standards?

The TSA Hazardous Materials Endorsement Threat Assessment Program conducts a security threat assessment for any driver seeking to obtain, renew, or transfer a hazardous materials endorsement (HME) on a state-issued commercial drivers license (CDL).

The program was implemented to meet the requirements of the USA PATRIOT Act (pdf, 848Kb), which prohibits states from issuing a license to transport hazardous materials in commerce unless a determination has been made that the driver does not pose a security risk. The Act further requires that the risk assessment include checks of criminal history records, legal status, and relevant international databases.

If you seek to obtain, renew, or transfer an HME on your CDL, you must apply for a security threat assessment. TSA rules require you to begin applying for the security threat assessment at least 30 days prior to the expiration of your CDL

In other words under the new rules I had to undergo a home land security check. and you bet I had to meet the requirements or I would have been SOL... kicking rocks in front of the unemployment office...

let me just add we pro drivers never objected to sharing the road with them... All we ever wanted is they abide by the same rules we do

[edit on 3-6-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I see your point. She meets all of the security requirements, but the test would be the challenge. She has no real skill at English and has no desire to improve it. So being a commercial driver is out for her. She also has not desire to work.

On the other hand, I know foreigners with apparently just enough English skills to pass the test, and they drive the big trucks. I am not sure if they drive hazmat, as I have never been curious enough to ask. However, their English is less than marginal. Speaking English has nothing to do with being here legally or meeting security requirements.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The US is not powerless to the WTO yet. We will be powerless if the US allows the WTO power over us. NAFTA is seriously an against US sovereignty. We should have never signed it... we don't HAVE to follow it but we all know we will unfortunately.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Yes you are right US have the right to question the WTO and even amend their policies and renegotiate them but until now our good for nothing politicians are not.

Perhaps as not to anger those nations that buy our debt.

What explanation is there when in most cases brought to the WTO against the US we are the losers and US pay the fines no questions ask.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Someone may want to remind Mexico's National Cargo Transportation Association about the "National" part of their organization's name.

I don't see anything in their name called "International".

Truck your crap to/from the border, Mexico Nation, we'll handle it from there.

top topics

join