It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merciful storekeeper changes robber's mind, religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Merciful storekeeper changes robber's mind, religion

Source

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A potential victim became a compassionate counselor during a recent robbery attempt, changing the would-be criminal's mind -- and apparently his religion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit to fix link

[edit on 3-6-2009 by lmbsc]

[edit on 3-6-2009 by lmbsc]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Just thought I'd throw a feel good story out there to help people feel better about the world around them as most stories are pretty bleak these days.

Here we have a person who would have all the right to call the police and turn this person into the police but instead, upon hearing the thief's story empathized with the person trying to rob him and even helped him by giving him $40 and some bread to eat.

This store clerk deserves an award in my opinion.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Link still not working.

...I have finally become 'that guy who shows up and tells you your link isn't working'....

I feel sort of dirty.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

LOL sorry. Finally fixed.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
That's a good story. It's a shame that the guy fled the store though because the guy doesn't seem like he was going to turn him in.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Link works for me. Keep trying!

What a wonderful story! I'm so sad that the would be robber was in aposition he felt he had to rob a store in order to survive, but the honorable actions of the shopkeeper just made me cry with tears of joy.

Compassion is a beautiful thing, and the young man was probably so grateful to be treated like a human being for a change.

This shopkeeper deseves a community recognition for being such a kind soul. If this was in my region, I'd be dropping off flowers for him right now!

(omg - I'm all "happy tears" over this! )

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by lmbsc

bloody christians......"gimme all your money" "have you found the lord, friend"

always pushing their slimey indoctrination on peaceful criminals going about their daily work.

just kidding, it's a nice story, we all need a break from the horror once in a while. .

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Er, it also appears that the shopkeeper converted him to Islam at gunpoint, with an added dash of bribery thrown in there.

Just saying...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
reply to post by lmbsc

always pushing their slimey indoctrination on peaceful criminals going about their daily work.

just kidding, it's a nice story, we all need a break from the horror once in a while. .

What does Christianity have to do with this?

Perhaps you are thinking that many Christians should learn to follow this Muslim's example?

He does seem to have behaved more like Jesus that many Christians I've met do.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
the dude got converted at gun point to Islam lol

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

it's just the image that popped into my ., sorry, i thought it was funny and worth sharing but if it was offensive i appoligise. i didn't read the story, it just popped in there.

i believe conversion to islam is quite easy, acceptance of Allah as god and Mohamed as his prophet three times, if i remember correctly, but you can't compel someone at gunpoint.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

Are you suggesting that the clerk's motivation behind giving the guy money and a loaf of bread was to convert him? To me it seems like the clerk helped him as an act of kindness rather than an act to try and convert someone. It was the robber who said that he wanted to be Muslim and perhaps it was because he actually took the time to listen to the guy and helped him and no one else probably cared. Just saying.....

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

it's just the image that popped into my ., sorry, i thought it was funny and worth sharing but if it was offensive i appoligise. i didn't read the story, it just popped in there.

i believe conversion to islam is quite easy, acceptance of Allah as god and Mohamed as his prophet three times, if i remember correctly, but you can't compel someone at gunpoint.

No, not at all offended.
Just amused as it indicated you had not read the story.

I know nothing about converting to Islam, but I certainly agree that a conversion at gunpoint, like any other forced agreement, means nothing.

I hope the experience does make the robber change his way of life. I've seen a single, unexpected kindness do that, both with and without religion.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
While it seems great and all, I am suspect of the truth of the thief’s words.

After all he took the cash and did not bother with the bread and milk. If truly that desperate and offered the food why not accept it as well?

Again the story sounds great and all but my guess is the guy went around the corner and got his fix and has not yet said a prayer. When you get a gun pointed at you for doing something stupid you might be willing to beg and plead as well. You might even say whatever you think someone would want to hear to get away. Right now many would believe you are out of work with no cash and a family to feed.

He cried though you say? Would you not cry (at least a bit) as well if you thought someone was going to take your . off with a shotgun? Not sure I believe the thief’s words, sorry call me cold.

Raist

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
While it seems great and all, I am suspect of the truth of the thief’s words.

After all he took the cash and did not bother with the bread and milk. If truly that desperate and offered the food why not accept it as well?

Again the story sounds great and all but my guess is the guy went around the corner and got his fix and has not yet said a prayer. When you get a gun pointed at you for doing something stupid you might be willing to beg and plead as well. You might even say whatever you think someone would want to hear to get away. Right now many would believe you are out of work with no cash and a family to feed.

He cried though you say? Would you not cry (at least a bit) as well if you thought someone was going to take your . off with a shotgun? Not sure I believe the thief’s words, sorry call me cold.

Raist

I agree. He was probably looking for drug money. If I and my children were starving and someone was going to give me bread and milk, I'd sure take it.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
This gets the biggest "WTF!?" tag of the day. CNN (main stream media) is now calling holding a gun to someone's . "compassion"?!?

Pity, perhaps, but compassion? That word doesn't mean what CNN thinks it means.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I don't want to discredit the compassion or large hearts of any member of Islamic faith.

I don't want to embrace ignorance either.

President Obama is pleading his case with the Saudis right now. He's there now, speaking with a group of individuals that are solidly connected and influenced by spheres of Muslim worshippers. And suddenly this story is pushed to the fore on every major news network.

If GM is going to work, Obama will need stable oil prices.

If the Saudis are going to give up stable oil prices, they'll need a sign that Islam is warmly welcomed in the west.

Staged or not? Or real, but highlighted?

What's your opinion?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Is that supposed to be a joke? The storekeeper is Muslim (his first name is Mohammad, that might have tipped you off).

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
The robber will probably come back next week to rob the clerk,or kill him.
He may regret letting him go.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Sadly I have to agree after working with heroin addicts for many years as you can't trust a word that comes out of their mouths (for the most part). However, I do hope this incident changed his ways for the good.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join