It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Losing Atmosphere Faster than Venus, Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Earth Losing Atmosphere Faster than Venus, Mars

June 2, 2009 -- Researchers were stunned to discover recently that Earth is losing more of its atmosphere than Venus and Mars, which have negligible magnetic fields.

This may mean our planet's magnetic shield may not be as solid a protective screen as once believed when it comes to guarding the atmosphere from an assault from the sun.

"We often tell ourselves that we are very fortunate living on this planet because we have this strong magnetic shield that protects us from all sorts of things that the cosmos throws at us -- cosmic rays, solar flares and the pesky solar wind," said Christopher Russell, a professor of geophysics and space physics at the University of California, Los Angeles.

"It certainly does help in some of those areas but ... in the case of the atmosphere, this may not be true," he said.

Earth Losing Atmosphere Faster than Venus, Mars (Click For Full Article)

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Our atmosphere is definately something we cannot afford to loose, or it's goodbye humanity.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
While this article is relatively recent, it speaks to a phenomena that many of you may have already been aware of - but did not know the extent.

This article gives us some interesting comparison between our own 'leakage' and that of Mars and Venus.

Space Scientist Hans Nilsson Elaborates on the matters in an interview he gave in 2008:

Magnetic Field Springing a Leak in Earth's Air Supply

*Unfortunately, Mr Nilsson appears to have bought into the ideas perpetuated by the Population Reduction and Carbon Cults. But that is not uncommon and doesn't make him wrong about the atmosphere leaking.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Im sure many people have heard about the polar shift (many 2012 people used to say it was going to happen in 2012) but do you suppose it could be the magnetic field changing causing the pols to shift??

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Before jumping in doomsday conclusions remember that we have a much larger atmosphere to lose than Mars
. What I am trying to say here is that of course the rate of which we dissipate the gasses will be somewhat larger than a planet that has nearly nothing to lose. On the other hand the earth's magnetic field is weakened and unfortunately in an exponential fashion. It makes me wonder why no-one seems to be worried by the fact, since we will be losing our protection in a matter of hundreds of years maximum... and that's a scientific fact!

thesdocos

Dae

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I'm thinking that this study means that our previous belief that Earth's magnetic field was intrinsic to our atmosphere's condition - what we have now very little correlation (due to this study) i.e. we have to come up with a new theory on the behaviour of atmospheres on planets - cool no?!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
So what exactly is causing us to lose the protection? Does this kinda thing just happen naturally over time or is something causing it? Its definetly worrysome.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Before people panic (though I know some want to panic) here's a tidbit from the rest of the article.

Despite the rather mind-boggling rate at which Earth is losing atmosphere -- 5×1025 molecules per second -- scientists say there is no cause for alarm. If the loss rate stays the same, the planet's atmosphere will last for several more billion years.

In other words, no need to post "ZOMG!! The air is so thiiiiiiiiin!!!" posts at the moment.

Then again, they could be wrong.

The cause? Cow farts. I have no doubt.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark

The cause? Cow farts. I have no doubt.

A solution is available:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/de61d223e36e.jpg[/atsimg]

*We can build more of them, we have the technology.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Up, up and away
in my beautiful,
my beautiful
baloooooooooooon!

There's probably an age threshold for that joke, but it made me laugh

I never thought I'd see a cow look mortified.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark

I never thought I'd see a cow look mortified.

She is doing her part to save the atmosphere.

We're losing it doncha know...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
We're losing it doncha know...

I do thanks to your diligence. An excellent and interesting article S&F

I hope she's getting carbon tax credits for that... hmmm... maybe we'll all be wearing on someday...

Sorry, that's my last OT comment

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by acrux
Our atmosphere is definately something we cannot afford to loose, or it's goodbye humanity.

No we won't die, we would slowly evolve into beings that can breath the diffuse stellar gas of space!

Seriously, I don't know the mechanism how this happens. The escape velocity against Earth's gravity is 40,000 kph. According the OP, magnetism and the ionization of the upper atmosphere is the only things I could see that makes it possible.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Youve got thousands of years left yet, have no fears,

The earth is more than capable of protecting & healing itself given time

top topics

join