It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM's demise big blow to TV networks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   

General Motors' June 1 bankruptcy filing just sent television executives into a stall.

Even before GM announced that it will seek bankruptcy protection, the $3.4 billion Detroit's Big Three automakers spent on national TV spots last year had tumbled by 18% from 2007...

GM's announcement couldn't have come at a worse time for TV executives, who are huddling in New York for the annual "upfronts"—a tug-of-war with advertisers that place orders for the season that begins in September.

www.businessweek.com...

Excellent, excellent, excellent!!! The US media is one of the (in)direct causes of the dumbening and fattening of Americans. Hopefully this will cause tired and useless shows like The Simpsons, David Letterman, MTV reality shows, New York college/courtroom type dramas, sitcoms that are always not funny, etc. to go off the air.

Indeed, good times.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

This just means more "SHAM WOW" commercials.... *shudders*

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

No, not the Simpsons! Next year is supposed to be it's final season anyway. All the other shows can go though.

In actuality though, the world could be on the verge of a nuclear war, and the average American is going to be more concerned about who won American Idol and things of that nature. They're addicted to the TV. Many wouldn't know how to live without it.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
They're addicted to the TV. Many wouldn't know how to live without it.

That's for damn sure. I gave up TV some years ago, can't even remember exactly what year. Since that time, I haven't own one, and I don't want one. In todays world, who really has time for stupid TV anyhow? But you're right, there are a LOT of humons addicted to TV. I tried to challenge a bunch of people once to turn off your TV for a month. None of them could do it, not even for a week. Pretty sad. I suppose for many, TV is like a pacifier. Very few people have a hobby these days, so I guess all they have to do is park their fat ass on the sofa and turn on the idiot box to keep their minds off their pitiful sorry empty lives. There ain't much difference between a TV junkie and a crack head in my book. I'm starting to think mostly stupid people watch the idiot box, because they can't think of anything more constructive or better to do with their sorry empty pointless lives. TV is a tool of indoctrination, it's how they, the PTB, keep your minds programmed to be good little slaves. TV tells the stupid people how to live, how to behave, what to buy, what to like and dislike, what to wear tomorrow, what you should eat, where you should shop. Really, STUPID PEOPLE watch TV because they haven't a mind of their own!!!

I'm glad the world economy is crashing. I'm so glad consumption is DOWN! I'm tickled pink that the big bad nasty polluting auto industry that makes junky cars that only last for about 4 months (if continually used instead of parked in the garage 99% of the time) is all screwed up! I'm excited that more people are having to financial struggle today instead of having pockets full of excess funny money to spend on junk junk junk!

I hope these changes keep coming. I'm hoping for the day we're all so poor we have to live in tiny little homes and eat nothing but beans and rice and have to take the bus everywhere or ride a bike!!! CRASH the economy .. and save the Earth!!!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
Hopefully this will cause tired and useless shows like The Simpsons, David Letterman, MTV reality shows, New York college/courtroom type dramas, sitcoms that are always not funny, etc. to go off the air.

pffft; no way it'll happen, the only result of this will be that all the shows have a lower production value, meaning the sets, writing and acting will take a nose dive. original content will be harder to produce so more re-runs, knock offs and clones.

smellier crap and more of it but the people will eat it up.

mostly because they don't even know/remember what else there is besides TV, and there isn't a whole lot, because almost everything there was has gone out of business or been run down because there was a severe lack of interest due to TV.

there's the mall, the tv's been telling them to go out and buy stuff for years, so they did that and the mall's still there 'cept now they've no money.

there's stuff teenagers use, park, cinema and the bowling alley, because they have the imagination to go outside but those places are full of kids being abnoxious. otherwise, it's all pretty much gone.

top topics

join