It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Control over Tobacco Industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I thought this was interesting.

Article Here

The Senate took a step Tuesday toward giving the government some controls over the tobacco industry, bolstering the chances that a long-sought goal of anti-smoking advocates will finally be realized.

The 84-11 Senate vote to consider the bill came a month after the House overwhelmingly passed a similar measure giving the Food and Drug Administration authority to regulate cigarettes and other tobacco products. ...

Under the measure, the FDA could restrict tobacco marketing, specifically to young people; order changes to the ingredients in tobacco products; and require more prominent health warnings. It would ban remaining tobacco-brand sponsorships of sports and entertainment events and restrict vending machines to adult-only facilities. It would bar the use of "reduced harm" descriptions such as "light," "mild" or "low."

It would impose a fee on cigarette manufacturers to pay for FDA regulation.

What's with the changing of ingredients?

Imposition of all these new regulations and the tobacco industry has to pay for them.

IMHO - the government is slowly nationalizing the tabacco industry much the same as it did to the banks and auto industry. And we all know what a great job the government does running things. (intense sarcasm)

(Just FY - I'm not a smoker)

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Wow. The anti-smoking movement is another "divide and conquer" technique. It is intrusive, anti-liberty, and rife with lies.

Meanwhile, the REAL pollutant that we should be worried about - vehicle exhaust, which we breath a LOT of, every day - is ignored (because it would threaten Big Oil and require revamps of vehicles to solve, putting Big Automotive against it as well).

How disgusting that they move to further persecute a subsection of society.

[edit on 6/3/2009 by Amaterasu]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Actually, this measure was sponsored by the big tobacco companies, and they fully support it.

Language in the measure effectively prevents any new companies from entering the market and competing with the established entities there (RJR,PMorris, etc.).

An article I read a while back joked that this should have been labeled the Tobacco Profits Protection Act.

It's a clever little piece of social engineering, on the part of the tobacco companies - they've gone to a lot of trouble to make the anti-smoking lobby think this was their idea.

The measure also effectively prevents tobacco from ever being banned.

Oh, and it also prevents foreign competition - big plus there.

I'm a smoker, and I don't like it, but not for the reasons you might suspect...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

Thanks for that info. That's what I get for failing to read the document.

Still, the anti-smoking "movement" is used to divide and conquer. Even though it hides the true nature of the beast.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
"It would bar the use of "reduced harm" descriptions such as "light," "mild" or "low."

So what are they going to call them now? I acutally thought that those names were in place because of the taste and size of the filter. I didn't know they were called that because of they reduced the harm of inhaling smoke.

I'm glad I quit smoking and started chewing Copenhagan again. 3.45 a can here and no signs of the price increasing.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I'll tell you what this is.

It's a way for the tobacco industry and the government to continue making money off of addiction.

Corporations continue to get larger and more powerful along with government.

The people grow weaker by the day.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Look everybody!!! Look at the change that Obama brought us!!

top topics

join