It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prayers of United States Presidents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Almighty God: We make our earnest prayer that Thou wilt keep the United States in Thy holy protection: that Thou wilt incline the hearts of the citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to government, and entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another and for their fellow citizens of the United States at large.
And finally that Thou wilt most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of mind which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion, and without a humble imitation of whose example in these things we can never hope to be a happy nation.
Grant our supplication, we beseech The, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
-George Washington

I pray God I may be given the wisdom and the prudence to do my duty in the tyre spirit of this great people.
-Woodrow Wilson

In entering upon this great office I must humbly invoke the God of our fathers for wisdom and firmness to execute it's high and responsible duties in such a manner as to restore harmony and ancient friendship among the people of the several States and to preserve our free institutions throughout many generations.
-James Buchanan

So we pray to Him now for the vision to see our way clearly -- to see the way that leads to a better life for ourselves and for all our fellow men -- to the avhievement of His will to peace on earth.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Almighty God, as we stand here, at this moment, my future associates in the executive branch of the government join me in beseeching that Thou will make full and complete our dedication to the service of the people in this throung and their fellow citizens everywhere.
Give us, we pray, the power to discern clearly right from wrong and allow all our works and actions to be governed thereby and by the laws of this land.
Especially we pray that our concern shall be for all the people, regardless of station, race, or calling. May cooperation be permitted and be the mutual aim of those who, under the concept of our Constitution, hold to differing political beliefs, so that all may work for the good of our beloved country and for Thy glory. Amen.
-Dwight Eisenhower

I would like to have my frequent prayer answered that God let my life be meaningful in the enhancement of His kingdom and that my life might be meaningful in the enhancement of the lives of my fellow human beings.
-Jimmy Carter

Today, we utter no prayer more fervently than the ancient prayer for peace on Earth.
-Ronald Reagan

Heavenly Father, we bow our heads and thank You for Your love. Accept our thanks for the peace that yeilds this day and the shared faith that makes its countinuance likely. Make us strong to do Your work, willing to heed and hear Your will, and write on our hearts these words: "Use power to help people." For we are given power not to advance our own purposes, nor to make a great show in the world, nor a name. There is but one just use of power, and it is to serve people. Help us to remember it, Lord. Amen.
George Bush [Sr.]

Source: God Belss America Prayers & Reflections For Our Country Zondervan, 1999.

I have heard a great many things about our nation's foundations and the mentality of our founders. I've heard gnostic, athiest, unitarian, etc. I've also heard attacks against George Bush Jr. for talking about God in his speaches. All of these prayers were delivered to the public. They weren't uttered in the privacy of the White House. Were I to quote those, I suspect this thread would be long enough to fill books. This does not sound to me like a nation founded and continued in a fashion so as to remove God from politics and politicians, but rather the opposite. I see conspiracy here, a conspiracy to cloud and rewrite history so as to serve this great nation's new national religion.

join