It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Releases Secret List of Nuclear Sites Accidentally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

U.S. Releases Secret List of Nuclear Sites Accidentally

www.nytimes.com

The federal government mistakenly made public a 266-page report, its pages marked “highly confidential,” that gives detailed information about hundreds of the nation’s civilian nuclear sites and programs, including maps showing the precise locations of stockpiles of fuel for nuclear weapons.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

David Albright, president of the Institute for Science and International Security, a private group in Washington that tracks nuclear proliferation, said information that shows where nuclear fuels are stored “can provide thieves or terrorists inside information that can help them seize the material, which is why that kind of data is not given out.”

What is up with this incompetence lately? I see these kind of "accidents" and "mistakes" happen too often nowadays . Are these really accidents or are they controled .... because if they are not , i am sincerly starting to doubt the way some of the natinal security info is being handled.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-6-2009 by Fatality]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
If you had watched a BBC investigation after 9/11 they went around USA visiting numerous university campus which were widely known to house research reactors.

At most of these reactors not only were thay able to walk in unchallenged, but in some the faculty operating the reactors were only too keen to show the investigators all over the place.

It's not really a secret.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Already posted I'm sure....

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
TO LATE! Someone else beat you to it.

Story originally posted here

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Wow with the billions of dollars we are spending on protecting the country against all the "threats". I wonder if someone can put a price tag on this mistake

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
There are three 4 level of document classification, confidential , secret, and top secret.

There is no “highly confidential,” so someone is full of BS.

Its easy to find civilian nuclear sites. there local fire department will tell you where they are at.

Also you have to have permits from the county, state and federal gov to build a civilian nuclear site. and these permits are a mater of public record.

This is just another case of the media trying to build a sensational story from nothing.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Yes you are right about the four US security classifications.

In Australia, we also have four levels:

Classified
Restricted
Secret
Top secret

Various countries have their own systems.
Someone that does not know this sometimes embellishes their BS by inventing a security clearance that does not exist.
It is always a dead give away.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

“These screw-ups happen,” said John M. Deutch, a former director of central intelligence and deputy secretary of defense who is now a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. “It’s going further than I would have gone but doesn’t look like a serious breach.”

While many of these sites are generally known to the public...I'm not sure if they're just playing it low at the moment...Either way, it is upsetting to see such incompetence in the government. Pathetic really...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I noticed in the report it said we used sealed tube vaults each one could carry up to 44 tons of enriched uranium. Thats a scarry thing. Why would anyone need 44 tons of that stuff? And thats just 1 vault tube. sheesh. TPTB are all war wacky...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
As has already been mentioned, this story is already being debated in this thread. Please continue the discussion there.

Thread Closed.

TheBorg
Forum Member and Moderator

new topics

top topics

join