It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop found guilty of bartender beating

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Cop found guilty of bartender beating

www.chicagobreakingnews.com

A Cook County judge today found Chicago Police officer Anthony Abbate guilty of aggravated battery for his 2007 attack on a female bartender, saying that even if the woman pushed and shoved Abbate to get him to leave a restricted area, "that did not justify his actions afterward, which were completely out of proportion."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.youtube.com

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Finally, justice is served. This case really shook up Chicago. This cop thought he was justified in beating a female bar tender because she asked him to leave and refused to serve him. The cop was clearly intoxicated and told to leave but refused. He thought because he was a police officer his actions were above the law.

Hopefully, it will send the message to other officers, that if you break the law you will be prosecuted and standing behind your badge is no defense.

The link to the full video is below, and check it out; just to see the severity of the beating.

www.chicagobreakingnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
With that video, I can't believe there was ever any question as to his guilt. I guess the excuse "well everyone else's doing it" doesn't go very far in this case lol. I wonder if he tried the old " it was someone who looked like me."

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
"Found guilty on two lesser charges". Now how many people who are not in uniform would get off that easy? If everyday joe does the same crime isn't he going to sit 15 years behind bars almost certainly?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

I did not see a sentence associated with the verdict. Hopefully, this whoreson
of a whoreson will receive the maximum allowable, and in the general population. Being drunk is no excuse...being a dirty cop is no excuse. His certification should be revoked, and never allowed to work as a cop, ever again.
Low life scuzzbucket...
I watched the video when it was first released, all the while wanting to be there to take the clown down...cop or not, the lady did not deserve to get the beat down she received!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
May he rot in jail. His kind do not deserve to be with the general public, but instead the general population.

And what gets me even more mad, was the fact that instead of helping the lady while she was getting assaulted, the bar patrons did nothing except made a phone call. I'm sure the phone call was to 9-1-1 but I'm sorry, I would have split that guys face open in a second. The size of him compared to her was huge, he could have easily seriously injured her. First I would have made sure the assailant was no longer a threat to the lady, then I would call the police.

Nobody should ever treat a lady like that. Ever.

[edit on 6/2/2009 by deadline527]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
This really gets me...

Abbate, who is listed at 6 foot 1 inches tall and admitted he may have weighed more than 250 pounds at the time of the incident, said he was drunk at the time and felt threatened by Obrycka, who is 5 foot 3 inches tall and weighs 125 pounds.

Yeah right

Earlier in the day, Judge John J. Fleming, presiding over the bench trial, acquitted Abbate of two lesser charges of official misconduct.

No it's not official misconduct for a drunk off duty cop to beat the crap out of a woman half his size, or to attempt to bribe her, or have his cop buddies attempt to intimidate her and witnesses on his behalf
At least not here in Chicago it's not

He had more than three charges against him, he was facing 15 felony charges including aggravated battery, official misconduct, intimidating, and communicating with a witness , i guess they're probably going to acquit him of the other 12 too. They allow these cops in Chicago to be above the law, they can drive drunk and kill people, beat people in drunken rages, do whatever they want and get away with it because they wear a badge

I hope they give him the maximum sentence, but he'll probably never do a day

[edit on 6/3/2009 by chise61]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Well, I guess the only thing to say is, :

welcome to Obamaland!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
That is so sad. Does anyone know if the bartender is okay?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Oh my god I forgot all about this!

Well looks like justice was served, surprisingly.

I mean a lot of this stuff goes unnoticed and unpunished but that video of that brutish drunken bully beating on a brave woman who stood up for her customers was very damning.

Thanks for the find!

- Lee

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by eightonefive
Well, I guess the only thing to say is, :

welcome to Obamaland!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's a place where the guilty woman-beating officers of the law are punished for their cowardly crimes then cool I'll live there. Thanks for the welcome!

Seriously, what are you talking about?

- lee

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atheiet
That is so sad. Does anyone know if the bartender is okay?

This happened a while ago so I am assuming she is fine now.

If you have the time (or the stomach) look up the actual video, it is quite startling. The police even tried to get a hold of it first.

That overweight guilty punk tried to hide behind his shield.

What kind of man would beat on a woman like that?

- Lee

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Hey,

The video evidance speaks for itself. This guy deserves to rot in prison. It seems like the bartender actually managed to aviod a lot of the blows and I was glad at that she managed to get up and even keep standing up to the guy. Thanks to the people who helped her.

Some people have openly questioned both the Judge and the Lawyer defending the cop, claiming corruption and deal broking behind closed doors. I'm sure in a city so entrenched in history as Chicago, it wouldn't be impossible. The readers comments make for interesting reading!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

If it's a place where the guilty woman-beating officers of the law are punished for their cowardly crimes then cool I'll live there.

Don't be so quick to assume that he'll actually be punished for his crimes.

So far he's been found quilty of one of fifteen charges, and it's taken two years just to get to this point. He still hasn't lost his job, he's suspended without pay, and there is no gaurantee that he will serve any time.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I wonder how this young bartenders family feels about this. I can assure you if that had been me, the males in my family would be discussing how to take care of him if there is no jail time! I remember this story very well. He is a woman beater plain and simple. These kinds of people ruin the world we live in.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
For the health of our society, the US needs a community based group that will track these police power abuse cases, identify which ones received too light a sentence, and deal with these scum in a way that is equitable to society as a whole.

Plant evidence to get them arrested for other crimes, organize the community to corroborate stories about the officer designed to disgrace or injure him/her, and even disposing of the most serious of offenders.

I am serious. If the people responsible for dispensing justice choose not to do so, then "We the People" must take that responsibility into our own hands for the good of our communities.

Jon

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This verdict is good, however, I wonder about the Judge that made this decision. After all, they are in Chicago, not an area a judge would want to make these types of decisions, directly affecting the Chicago Police.

We should keep an eye on this Judge, and see if he remains healthy.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

WOOHOO!!!! finally! JUSTICE SERVED!!!! take that coppers! your not invulnerable and all your actions don't give you paid vacation time!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Corruption in Chicago goes deep and well into its history so when I read this thread i wasn't too surprised about the situation.
I hope that he is found guilty and is revoked of his badge although I doubt he will be. The idealist in me hopes he serves some hard time and justice is served but the realist in me knows that at most he'll receive a slap on the wrist.
It's police like him that give actual good officers bad names... well the actual few good officers that there are.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I love it when cops go to jail!

Can you say Blue Love?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join