It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a highly sensitive person (HSP)?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I'm almost dumb founded by the sheer volume of people who believe they're the special ones, everytime someone suggests the notion that someone could be different and then lists, very vague qualities, that apply to a broad array of people.

It's just like horoscopes.

I wonder why people are so desperate to cling to these unique titles, or this overwhelming need to be "Special."

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dewm0nster
I'm almost dumb founded by the sheer volume of people who believe they're the special ones, everytime someone suggests the notion that someone could be different and then lists, very vague qualities, that apply to a broad array of people.

It's just like horoscopes.

I wonder why people are so desperate to cling to these unique titles, or this overwhelming need to be "Special."
who said they were special? Lists are fun. It is fun to rate yourself. Horoscopes aren't astrology so don't get me started.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

The belief that they are "special" is implied, as the source claims "15-20%" of the population are, this kind of human.

And horoscopes are astrology.
I don't understand your point in saying they weren't.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dewm0nster

I didn't say anything about being "special". I didn't read anyone else saying that either. We are just people that are sensitive to things around us. Noise bothers me, that doesn't mean I can read your aura or your mind... I think that on some level everyone is sensitive...nothing special about that... Like your sensitive to people thinking they are special!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

The belief that they are "special" is implied, as the source claims "15-20%" of the population are, this kind of human.

Horoscopes are to astrology what personality tests (such as this) in Cosmo Magazine are to neuro-psychology. But I don't expect you to understand unless you have studied it. Most, I believe a high percentage, have not. There are many people ( you used the term "kind of human") that are not emotion based and are very thought based.

it is you who are classifying us as special based on a percentage you decided on. Not those who consider themselves emotionally based. What is wrong with finding others to relate to without having it be about something to alienate others with.

[edit on 2-6-2009 by seagrass]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Be that as it may, someone believing that they are part of a minority, supposedly genetically different, representing a small portion of the population is believing what?

Special, comes to mind.
As well as unique.

As for these "HSP" clues, who isn't like this?
Who wouldn't agree with most of the choices shown?

Sensitive to sound?
Everyone is these days- We live in an extremely stressful world.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass

Horoscopes are to astrology what personality tests (such as this) in Cosmo Magazine are to neuro-psychology. But I don't expect you to understand unless you have studied it. Most, I believe a high percentage, have not. There are many people ( you used the term "kind of human") that are not emotion based and are very thought based.

I don't appreciate you passing off my intelligence.
What's so hard to comprehend about this survey- Its inaccuracies?
I'm fully aware that this isn't science- That this is just some silly survey.

My point, which you may have missed, was that when people read posts like this, or take surveys like these- Which apply to a broad array of people, they make posts that would imply they believe they belong under this small category of people; when in reality, many people do.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Be that as it may, someone believing that they are part of a minority, supposedly genetically different, representing a small portion of the population is believing what?

Special, comes to mind.
As well as unique.

As for these "HSP" clues, who isn't like this?
Who wouldn't agree with most of the choices shown?

Sensitive to sound?
Everyone is these days- We live in an extremely stressful world.
I guess if everyone take the test we will know won't we. Genetically different is not assuming you are a minority or special.
My daughter is not sensitive to sound.. omg

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass

I don't appreciate you passing off my intelligence.
What's so hard to comprehend about this survey- Its inaccuracies?
I'm fully aware that this isn't science- That this is just some silly survey.

My point, which you may have missed, was that when people read posts like this, or take surveys like these- Which apply to a broad array of people, they make posts that would imply they believe they belong under this small category of people; when in reality, many people do.
Many people may belong under this category, and I do not believe it is small. I believe it is quite large. Therefore, doesn't make us special in any regard. It is a test, a survey that one can rate oneself. Nothing more. I pass off most peoples intelligence on Astrology based on the small percentage of understanding I have encountered, and that doesn't make you special.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Alright.
Somewhere along the line of this thread, you either misread my initial posting, misunderstood my point entirely, or simply skimmed my post without actually reading it.

I've tried responding to you, to reply in the most coherent way that I can, but by reading your posts- I can plainly see, you have missed the point of my posts entirely.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Can't say I see myself, or anyone else here, as 'special'. I just see some people that are more sensitive than others. Most people will fit into one type of a category or another... the world is full of a variety of people types. Like your introverts and extroverts. For me, being an introvert blows when it comes to employment, because SO many jobs require you to be 'people person' ...blah.

True, many of these tests can be somewhat fitting to many people, but it still gives you a general idea of yourself, and meeting people who are similar in this case can offer comfort. For others, such as my son, the test doesn't even come close to who they are.

Define ironic~
A bunch of sensitives exposing themselves on a public forum for all the world to see. We're doomed...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I'm betting a lot of us on ATS match this profile to a T. I suspect that the wiring is related to the spirit arranging the wiring to meet it's needs for the incarnation.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Differences should be honored, not judged as special, or revered, or worshiped or anything of the sort. There is enormous value in being different. It is simply a variation for a purpose of experience imo.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astrithr
HSP is a term coined by Dr. Elaine Aron, but they're also known as hypersensitive, ultra sensitive, hypervigilant and sensory-processing sensitive.

I can tell you something about this subject.

MERCURY AMALGAMS (Silver fillings are 50 percent mercury) cause emotional instability by poisoning you with mercury the most poisonous non radioactive element. They will make you very sensitive,even to light and sound. It is said that approximately 15 percent of the population lacks two genes needed to remove mercury from the body.

Dont believe the doctors when they tell you its in your head or in your personality genes. It may be the mercury in your mouth. There is currently no way to tell except by removal.

And large fish, such as tuna,swordfish, etc, will also give you mercury poisoning if eaten often. Other sources of mercury may be calcium,kelp,vitamin A.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by RRokkyy]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I don't know that I have any genetic abnormalities and think a lot of us responding in this thread would probably fit in similiar boxes in the Myers-Brig test as each other. I scored a 23.

I think we are all, of course even those not relating to this thread, are special in our own ways. I certainly don't see any Elitest ideals spoken within the OPs inital or responsive posts.

Having scored a 23 I will say I seek out alone time as much as possible. I need this to renew myself. I'm one of many aquaintances and few friends. One female friend, and quite the extrovert, is totally puzzled and can not see what 'fun' I would have in going out to coffee, a movie, or even a concert by myself. I'm good company

Even with my own immediate family, they know I need to have my space here and there. I could never stand that 'smothering' feeling. I'm very detailed and work best on my own. I can't even stand if the husband tries to read something over my shoulder on ATS "would you like the chair?"

I can relate to too many of these to discuss in detail. Informative thread OP. Curious is to if, for me, it's a genetic disposition or just a product of being an only, imaginative, deep thinking child.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I scored 25. I didn't really get the caffeine question so I left it unticked. I think of myself as an introvert, this is just an extension of knowing what type of person I am.

The guy who's saying we think we're special... no where did anyone say that. It's just a personality type. I think it has some very positive aspects, but also some slightly negative points.

Whisper67 - I know what you mean about extraverts! It's so tiring being around them, most of the time I do things on my own and I don't feel the desire to have a big group of friends. I find that I operate better on my own, and I'm very happy with my own company. It's also known that extraverts don't understand introverts' desire to be on their own.

I wouldn't really change anything about that.

[edit on 3/6/09 by dmorgan]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Good thread. Interesting information.

You get a sense of comfort and well being when around a lake, river, stream, the ocean, or even a fountain.

I learned in one of my psychology classes that this applys to nearly every human being. It was a course in how asthetics change human mood and temperment and even learning.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark
I scored 26. The thing is, it would be nice to me if this were recognized and legitimized. I suffered a lot of torment in my life for being the way I was and if it is understood to be "normal", perhaps others won't need to go through the same thing.

But I will say that my experiences gave me a stronger will to understand why people do things they way they do, and why I was the way I was. For that reason, I wouldn't change a thing, personally.

As have I. I suffered torment for being the way I was. I couldn't help it. I scored a 26 as well. I can safely say that everything on that test is a legitimate diagnosis of the inner confides of my personality. I also agree that it should be considered normal as well, as those who stand out in a group will always be prone to scrutiny and degradation.

The saying "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" rings true in this situation. It really gave me the drive to seek out being fair and balanced, and made me a hell of a lot more mature than everyone my age. I have the experience of hanging out with more mature adults and to be endowed by their wisdom. In school, I would always hang out with the teachers... This experience had made a changing impact on how I perceive the world and make sense of it all.

This was invaluable to me. I grew up quickly. Sometimes I miss my old self, but I'm glad that I went through what I did because of the person it made me. I wouldn't change a thing.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I ticked every box. It's huge relief. i had been wondering a lot recently about my absolute obsession with organisation, planning, order, quietness....I can't bear the tv on most of the time, or even music anymore....silence is just fine for me. My tolerance for having other people around me, especially in my home, has shrunk to almost nothing, and this has happened quite quickly....like in the last two years, I would say. It can make life very difficult, and I don't think of myself as special at all...not in any way, but it's a huge relief to think that there *might* be a real physical reason for my sensitivity that could be investigated further.

I know I've lost jobs and relationships because of my sensitivities, and how the hell can I explain this to even the most intelligent of people without soundling like a complete freak? I can't. I'm a nightmare to work with, and have known this for a long time. But at least now I know, or have a better idea, some kind of potential reasoning for how I am, and how I feel all the time.

Put yourself in our shoes for a moment....everything about modern life blares at us....cars, sirens, music, traffic, supermarkets.....cellphones ringing incessantly. They all compete with their own noise, and it is some kind of hell for those who are unable to process it or filter it out. It's like I see the noise, or feel it, as well as hear it. And it's almost as if mess and untidyness has a physical noise that drives me insane. It's unbearable most of the time. I'm married to the untidiest, messiest person I've ever met, although I love him more than anything. I think this on it's own has brought this to a head and made me do even more soulsearching than usual.

To the person who mentioned synaesthesia....I wonder how strong the link is, and how common it is in people who rate highly on this scale? I wish I could smell purple. I don't have any kind of classic synaethesia, but I do have a very visual, organised, spiral awareness of numbers, but no idea what to do with it. It makes mental arithmetic very easy though!

It's just so reassuring that there are others who feel the same...I really did think I was going mad at one point, and I would end my days as a silent hermit in the mountains, never talking to anyone, and never going anywhere. Are there any ideas about how to deal with it on a practical level? (Although I'm not sure I want to....I like it the way it is!)

[edit on 3-6-2009 by caitlinfae]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I scored a 23. It seems to be getting worse for me lately.

This is an interesting topic. I can't quite understand why people are viewing this as some sort of "special club" though? This isn't exactly an indigo child thread. This isn't a superpower we are talking about here. The simple fact is that some people are wired differently. God forbid that like minded people actually comment on the same thread.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join