It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major in college

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Hey ya'll:

Im going to college next fall, and have absolutely NO IDEA what I want to major in! I know they say most people dont know, but most people have an idea.. and im just completely drawing a blank...

So, I figured most of the people at this site are intelligent, so i'd ask yall!

What major would you suggest someone go after in college? Im trying to get good money, with good job conditions, and moderate competition..

So far I've heard that marketing is good.. but I dont really know about that.

*Looks forward to ya'lls replies*

Oh, and my entire future rests in your hands, hehe. No pressure

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Thats what I suggest, get a degree in either International Business, Diplomacy, or International Relations and do some course work in economics, get a job doing international business.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The lucky person is one that earns a living doing what he/she enjoys. College is totally different the high school, a lot more coices. I think you should take mostly core courses and maybe one you have a passing fancy to. Mine was a polysci course, blew me away. The core courses tend to be diverse so you should be able to find what you are looking for.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Diesel Systems Engineering

Basically, either design or to work on the huge 700,000 + horsepower engines on Merchant or Navy ships.

I hated it though so I quit my job and came home to do Real Estate.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Just think about what you like and go with that.

Thats my suggestion. I love Computers so Computer Science was an easy choice for me.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Do you have principles?

Do you want to make a lasting impact on something important?

Or do you want to be a corporate drone and be a provider for a suburban home with a suburban wife and 2.8 children and a dog?

Maybe it's not the subject matter that you pick up, but what you decide to do with it and whom you engage with later. Years afterwards you will reflect back on whatevr you did without regrets, but with declining importance.

For impact, the world needs more talented scientists and problem-solvers and less marketeers and accountants and lawyers. Some of the most successful entrepreneurs never completed a college education.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by shidge.
Hey ya'll:

Im going to college next fall, and have absolutely NO IDEA what I want to major in! I know they say most people dont know, but most people have an idea.. and im just completely drawing a blank...

So, I figured most of the people at this site are intelligent, so i'd ask yall!

What major would you suggest someone go after in college? Im trying to get good money, with good job conditions, and moderate competition..

So far I've heard that marketing is good.. but I dont really know about that.

*Looks forward to ya'lls replies*

Oh, and my entire future rests in your hands, hehe. No pressure

Actually marketing sucks... I personally didn't care too much for it.

I majored in criminal psych and behaviour.
Interesting if you don't know what you want to do.

I just figured out what I want to do and i'm done school.

In fact it has nothing to do with what i want to do (landscaping & personal training).

Anyway social sciences are good for people who don't know what they want to do.

Maths and sciences are good too to keep you sharp.

That's my advice.

But marketing is too drawn out, took that and economics and there's so much bs in em.

Whats that saying, you put a bunch of economists in a line and you still won't come to a solution?? somethin like that..

anyway, good luck, and don't drop out... why dont you join the air force??

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
If you aren't going to grad school, then it doesn't matter much.

For a good well rounded PRACTICAL education that could be applied in many areas, then Marketing is fine. If, however, they offer a Communications degree that exposes you to Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations and Broadcasting too...do that.

Avoid the generic "business" degree UNLESS you plan to go graduate. Same goes for all the "ologies" and "artsies".

TRUST ME ON THIS.

top topics

join