It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concrete manifestation of meltdown: Clothing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Next time, buddy, hire a couple of gorillas to make them doormen look not into your face

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
That's really sad and a bit bizarre. I live in a small suburbanish/ ruralish area. A lot of people here are without work or underemployed, yet I have never seen or heard of someone calling people out on their money. Is it SO rare now for people to dress up for a night that it really elicits a cruel response?

Like I said, my area isn't doing great, but if you go downtown on the weekends you still see several couples going out for the evening. When my husband and I went out for our anniversary a few months back, we still had a hard time getting reservations at the nice restaurant we splurged on. While we personally are not well off, those who have "real" money are not hurting yet. The CEOs and even the higher management types have not lost their jobs. There's still plenty of money in circulation among the haves.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm guessing things are MUCH worse were you are.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I was reading a prediction by some psychic that said we're going to see the social "wars" heating up in the next two years. Not only in the class war between the rich and poor, but also in the gender wars between male and female along with a health dose of xenophobia.

At first, I thought it was a load of crap, but now I'm beginning to realize that it's true.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Sorry you had to deal with this: I agree that it's becoming MORE common to feel the stares and stings.

There is nothing wrong with enjoing what life has to offer and who knows how much longer it will last?

I've also been poor and am fortunate enough to have that behind me but also have felt the animosity you describe simply because I'm a mostly happy,non-bitter, and hopefully ever-growing and learning person with hobbies and interests,loves and family,and "present" as if the world is still a good and decent place most of the time.

If you're in good shape (hard work!)physically and mentally and enjoying your life...welll...how DARE you,I hear "what are YOU on?" and or "If I looked like YOU,it would all be easy for me too!"

WTF does that mean,LOL! I work very hard just to stay status-quo most of the time,nothing about it is "easy."Nothing at all.

I find that as I get "older",what I want most is good health,good covo with friends,a good glass of wine with some fresh food here and there,and eveyone once in a while,just to do as you did and step out in style,even if it's not that "stylish" in reality...

Also,I have NO problem with the way you refer to your companion and honestly think women need to get a grip:you can be uber-strong,smart,tops in your field,have causes and concerns,and actually LIKE men without getting your g-string in a tight- crack because someone has a nickname for you.
I have 5 amazing and gorgeous sisters,all high-end pros, who would echo my sentiments.

My female friends are all like-minded acomplished and beautiful women and NONE of them would take offense either,LOL!

Hoping you'll go out again soon,and yes,if you can "spoil that B**ch a bit please do so,it's those little moments that give us all a lifetime of memories and we need all the nice ones we can make these days!

[edit on 4-6-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I have a different take on this.

I've been a corporate trainer for sometime. I teach classes weekly on how to deal with clients/customers and I have to do a large number of client observations in order to keep my training relevant.

What I see and have seen for sometime - even well before this economic crisis started - is a disdain for service industry workers in general and an increasing demand for an unreasonable return on their dollar by clients/customers.

I see customers wanting way more for much less and being outrageously difficult, if not deceitful, to get it.

I see sales people, waiters and managers being treated like servants and slaves instead of paid employees doing their best. Of course there are the bad actor exceptions, but most employees just want to do a good job.

Basically, I see consumers using the Almighty Dollar as a weapon against struggling businesses just trying to stay afloat. They are hyper-critical, demanding and selfish to no end when they are spending their money.

But I guess it should come as no surprise since Corporations can be just as demanding and selfish when dealing with their workers. I guess those workers are just recycling that attitude when choosing which Corporations to give their money back to - it's a vicious cycle of consumer madness.

[edit on 4/6/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
A couple of weeks ago I was out of town with my sister. We were headed for a specialty shop that wasn't in the best part of town. I was wearing the diamonds my husband had given me as presents for birthdays, x-mas & our wedding. The 2 pair of earrings, necklace and wedding set altogether amount to 2.5 carats. I wear them because they were given to me from the heart of the man I love.

Well we parked my car and got out. Immediately I felt out of place and for the first time, a little afraid. I come from poverty so I know what its like. But I didn't feel like I was flaunting, as a matter of fact I never even thought about it at all. But by the time we finished our errand, I was so uncomfortable that I couldn't wait to get back in the car and go.

It made me feel like you described in your post. I wasn't doing anything wrong. But the looks I got were not appreciative. Now, I hardly ever go out. I feel safer here at home. When I do go out, I take off all my jewelry except my wedding band and a pair of 1/4 ct diamond studs.

When things get slightly worse than they are now, I don't know what I'll do. But those diamonds were from my husband who wanted me to have something I've never had which he thinks I deserve. Its a strange feeling to feel guilty for having something when so many don't even have the barest essentials.

We both work very hard and barely manage to keep our middle class status. That status is both rewarding and frightening. Very odd times!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I think you are on to something. Since we are in the middle of the Great Recession people turn to their local news for answers. We see GM, rich unethical bankers, etc. The public sees wealth as the ememy.

We were decieved for years to live like the Jones, spend, spend, spend. We now know the being frugal is the key.

The odds are high, hiring a driver that perhaps these people assumed you flew in on your private jet and got a bailout.

Mindsets are surely changing. It's too bad you wanted a beautiful night and it ended up like that.

People can not see those who have been responsible by paying off their debt and living within their means. Instead of a pat on the back they are miserable and wish to blame others.

As we enter the Great Depression 2 we will see more of this behavior, including massive crime wave. Be careful, that you dont get mugged and shot, over you gold ring or watch.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Years ago in business situations, secretaries, executives, clerks, middle managers all dressed basically the same. Sure some spent more than others, but the uniform was the same acrooss the board, nice suit, ironed, clean neat, tailored, good shoes..polished. In the 40's 50's and 60's there was a uniform of dress that was expected in the workplace. The 70's came and people became much more casual...then the 80's people dressed up gain, but everybody followed the trends. That all changed in the 1990's. Casual Friday became de riguer and lower workers on the totem poles started to coming to work in jeans, tshirts and polo shirts. But he executives only took off their ties. This recreated a class system of dress that is around today. Only the well to do dress up now and so it easy to spot them.

It is foolish to criticize someone for spending money because without them, the economy would come to a screeching halt. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. If you don't like it, get a second job, invent something, innovate. I see help wanted signs all over the place, but they are for jobs people don't want to do.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
I have a different take on this.

I see customers wanting way more for much less and being outrageously difficult, if not deceitful, to get it.

I see sales people, waiters and managers being treated like servants and slaves instead of paid employees doing their best. Of course there are the bad actor exceptions, but most employees just want to do a good job.

Basically, I see consumers using the Almighty Dollar as a weapon against struggling businesses just trying to stay afloat. They are hyper-critical, demanding and selfish to no end when they are spending their money.

[edit on 4/6/2009 by kosmicjack]

I work with people all over the world and I can attest to what you say, except it is mostly Americans that do this. And yes, over the past four years, it has become increasingly blatant. People will threaten to report you to regulatory agencies with made up complaints right off the bat.

While Europeans will ask about discounts, Americans will demand them and do so rudely. I get asked for discounts for being a senior citizen, military, fire fighter, cop, working for the same credit card company as the ones we accept, family member is disabled and even because they are a returning customer.

The new thing is to say you don't want to pay the asking price and then offer something lower. When those come my way, I don't even respond. Another problem is not following the rules, or when they get caught, they lie that they weren't told about the policies. Now, everyone records all calls because it has gotten so out of hand.

I will not no longer talk to customers on the phone, only via email where it is in writing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join