It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new photo of Thylacine(tasmanian tiger)? you decide..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
i came across this random thread on another site while searching around for more cryptids. Thylacine?

at first the markings did indicate to me similarities of those of known images of the supposedly extinct animal. i searched around on ats trying to find more of this image, but have yet to come across anything.

unfortunately i also came across this. now, this seems to me pretty conclusive. ive yet to come across any images of any species of striped platypus, but again, i could have overlooked something. does anyone else have any information on this image or striped platypus?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I hadn't heard of that particular image, thanks for posting.

It is fairly obvious to me though that it is a platypus.

You can see the distinctive shape of the head and bill on the far right behind the greenery.

By the looks of the 2nd link others have come to the same conclusion.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
i completely agree, but the only thing that threw me was the hind appendage. maybe its just me but it doesnt look indicative of a platypus.

and whats with that bald spot??

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
It doesn't look much like a platypus to me! Comparing the image with the painting of a tiger shows pretty conclusively, at least to me, that the Thylacine is alive and well.
Thanks for posting.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
It's a platypus. The shape gives it all away.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Not a thylacene. It's a fake by the "anonymous source".

The animal, for one thing is far too close to the ground to be a thylacene. While it's possibly a museum specimen, the pink of the skin is not the color of a tanned skin.

On a real one, the texture of the fur changes from the striped area to the plain colored area. Take a look:
i.livescience.com...

In addition the legs of a real one are and the neck is also fairly long. The head wouldn't be that close to the body.

(badly taxidermied sample):
www.itsnature.org...

The fur's the wrong color, too:
media.photobucket.com...

While this might be a badly maintained museum specimen, it looks far more like something created by painted stripes on a dachshund. It's just far too small, far too fat, wrong fur pattern, wrong... everything.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

That is what my first thought was: a doxy with some stripes added. To be honest, the stripes don't look quite right, either. My first impression is that they looked like a shadow, but they are too organized to be from the grass. So my second thought is that the "darken" feature was used in Photoshop to create the stripes.

I own doxy's, and associate with several, several others who do. It is "my" breed of dog. That is a doxy if ever i saw one.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I am going to go one step further than Byrd and call photoshop hoax.

After looking at the image for a while, a few things stood out.

The stripes themselves, I believe, were simply added on using the 'burn' tool.

It took me 30 seconds to add the stripes to the top platypus you see below. Imagine how accurate you could get if you actually tried.

I also jumped into the liquify tool for about 15 seconds and made the pink 'shaved patch'. I know mine is way off, but as I said, time and patience creates better results. (Note the straight line in the lowest image where the photoshop hoaxer has been lax)

I've also outlined the original platypus that was in the image. If you don't believe me, I have proof.

Download the original hoax photo from the OPs link. Open it in windows picture viewer and zoom right in on where I say the 'bill' is. You can see it through the grass and see its shadow.

EDIT: I'll save you the trouble. Presenting Platypus bill:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/462850051102.jpg[/atsimg]

Right click and select View Image, or click THIS LINK to see the image full size in a seperate tab.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9f8f1346ad69.jpg[/atsimg]

No doubt in my mind that it is a platypus someone has modified.

[edit on 2-6-2009 by fooffstarr]

[edit on 2-6-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
thanks for all the links byrd!

while i dont prescribe to the notion that its a 'doxy', i am interested to know what you think about the platypus theory. like i stated previously, im not too quick to believe that it is, but the 'bill' at the 'front end' of it does resemble said platypus.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It's modified. I thought platypus, too. The only thing is the picture doesn't show the flippers. But I would say probably.

But it's not a thylacine, it looks nothing like one. It is (as stated) too close to the ground, wrong vertebral shape, etc.

It would be cool if it was. But it's not.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I don't see how this is a thylacine. It clearly seems to be a platypus.

top topics

join