It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California has just banned electronic voting machines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This is great news!!! I have never trusted this form of voting when there is no paper trail.

Link will follow I'm sure.

YES!!!

[Edited on 30-4-2004 by energy_wave]

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Looks like you wont be able to sell your E-Vote on Ebay just yet.

California has banned the use of touch-screen voting machines in a handful of counties until security concerns are satisfied, possibly until after the presidential election this fall.

Secretary of State Kevin Shelley issued the order revoking the systems' certification Friday after weeks of discussion, including a recent recommendation by the California Voting Systems and Procedures Panel. That evaluation expressed concern about what the panel called "disenfranchisement" of voters who were unable to vote using the touch-screen system in the March primary because of technical problems.

Looks like we can continue to protect democracy with paper!

Good thing they arent gonna try and let them be used in the presidential campaign, think of the possible headaches.

E-Voting Banned

[Edited on 30-4-2004 by Agent47]

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Awesome! I'm going to do as I do on every electronic voting booth thread, however

There is an online, free book on the electronic voting booths. I may get the URL wrong on this post, since I have the bookmark at work, but if I do, I'll correct it on Monday.

blackboxvoting.org...

Enjoy! I'm glad to see California finally made a sane decision

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Link...

California Secretary of State Kevin Shelley ended five months of speculation and announced Friday that he was decertifying all electronic touch-screen voting machines in the state due to security concerns and lack of voter confidence.

"We will not tolerate deceitful tactics as engaged in by Diebold and we must send a clear and compelling message to the rest of the industry: Don't try to pull a fast one on the voters of California because there will be consequences if you do," he said

www.wired.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
What will George W Bush do?

He can't steal the election now can he?

The avalance has started.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The voting...They use touch screens. Those are fickle to begin with. If they're not calibrated correctly, you're not pointing where you want to be pointing. That book cites many examples of incredible votes of 100% v. 0% and such things. Those votes don't happen.

So here's a solution: have a paper trail. Have them print out a bar code, instead of storing it on a disk. Then, before you leave the booth, you can scan it, and the scanner, attached to Word or something, tells you who you voted for. Windows interprets barcodes, and to implement a change in how all of Windows operating systems read "Bush" or "Kerry" every 2 years would be a huge project. Ironically, I think we could trust Microsoft on this issue
But that way, you know who you voted for, bar codes are easy to mass count, and there's still a paper trail. Keep your proprietary software, you whiney voting companies, it wouldn't matter.

In fact, it could even print a "recipt" which would be a copy of the first but with a space in the middle of the last name. That way, you couldn't double vote (unless you live in Chicago
) but you could confirm your vote elsewhere after you scan it in the booth.

Just an idea, one with some bugs, but I think that's WELL along a better system then just having to trust a company that wants to make money and who is subject to laws that influence their ability to make money.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The diebold and other machines of there ilk would be OK if they printed a receipt to the voter to check in the booth and the reciept had a code to verify the reciept was legitimately printed and recorded at time of vote, this is a democratic party issue at this time but I'll remind republicans that it will be an issue for them as well, alls fair in love and war as they say - vigilance is the best cure as I say.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
A paper trail has already been invented, but things didn't work out to well for the inventor.
www.rense.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Diebold was a huge campain contributer to the Bush Chenny campain from what I read a while back.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
California is the single most important state on its own, with the biggest number of electoral votes, and 1/7 of the nations population.

A big blow to Bush when he tries and steals the election.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
So go's California... So go's the country!

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Dont trust them.
www.freepress.org...

top topics

join