It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the future of food? Japanese plant factories churn out immaculate vegetables 24 hours a day

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Is this the future of food? Japanese plant factories churn out immaculate vegetables 24 hours a day

www.dailymail.co.uk

They look more like the brightly lit shelves of a chemists shop than the rows of a vegetable garden.

But according to their creators, these perfect looking vegetables could be the future of food.

In a perfectly controlled and totally sterile environment - uncontaminated by dirt, insects or fresh air - Japanese scientists are developing a new way of growing vegetables.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.biospheres.com

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Does this article remind anyone of what was tried out in the BIOSPHERE experiment and the various parts of the media claimed success and others claimed a huge failure.

Obviously this is how our astronauts are going to feed themselves.As food,water and oxygen are the key elements in our survival into colonization of other planets we are being exposed to more and more radical new concepts of sustaining life beyond our planet. One must take the time to think that although the media has been talking about global food shortages and yet on the other hand we are reading articles like these, is this not an attack on your rational thinking.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
And a quick look at the biosphere.

Eden Project

[edit on 2-6-2009 by tristar]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
odd quote from the story:

The results are hygienic, but it's about as far from real food as you can possibly get.

I'm really not sure what they mean by that. I mean, come on. It's lettuce, for god's sake. That line makes it sound like it's bio-engineered plastic food or something.

Tastes fine to me, and I'm pretty happy about it. A few years ago, it was just about impossible to find romaine lettuce up north here in winter. They're doing a similar thing with strawberries I hear - which means there's now a steady year round supply. I can't fault it.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

What is alarming is that most food being grown or should is say about 90% of all food in europe has been genetically altered. Apart from regional small areas were natural food is still being grown by the owners.

Lets face it, the food being fed to live stock is more or less made of live stock itself, so a plant eating animal has become accustomed to meat eating animal. I do feel that at some time, all this manipulation will turn around and bite us, and bite hard it will.

However, in reference to the Japanese, well turning out food in a time slot sounds like a fast food store and we all know how healthy fast food is.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
ne makes it sound like it's bio-engineered plastic food or something.

Tastes fine to me, and I'm pretty happy about it. A few years ago, it was just about impossible to find romaine lettuce up north here in winter. They're doing a similar thing with strawberries I hear - which means there's now a steady year round supply. I can't fault it.

I can.
Part of the reason I enjoy growing vegetables is because of the seasonal variation. All this is doing is levelling the playing field and making us all uninteresting, conformist layabouts.
Nah, do not want.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Is the food going to be good for us? Or are we going to just be told it's good for us? what's really good for us? i KNow it's not MCdonalds or most of every thing we can buy to eat at wal-mart. even the fresh foods are suspect? but then so is growing our own fresh foods? so I ask why does it matter what their doing? if we all allready know whats going on. we need to work togeth for good. peace. and love in our heart and not be tempted by the mind yet use it to it's advantage to the pathways to light on every subject to un-fold on this timeless universe. "star people" understand where im coming from. or maybe they dont know who they are yet im still workin on what i am but i know im something.... I am.
so to all the THREADS that i have been summoned to , i ask that you will develop a friendship with me because theirs more to what we see why live in fear when we can live in peace. ReHaB

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Well i must say, i have the advantage of knowing what a tomato taste's like when its grown in some remote village in europe and within that same country the tomato which i have purchased from a super market. The difference is like lead to gold, there is no mistaking it.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
This sounds promising. At least the food isn't LOADED with pestacides!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The Japanese have been doing this for a while. This was adopted by small companies who's businesses weren't doing well so they used their warehouses to do some new form of indoor farming. They're a lot more expensive that regular crops though since extra care is given to the crops.

Hygienic and without the pesticides. Nice.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
But without the soil how do the plants get nutrients? I mean will they be deficient in minerals and such?

I have heard regular farming methods can make the crops very deficient because the land gets used again and again. Makes sense as in nature the soil is "replenished" with dead plants and waste of those that ate them, farms are different.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
It's a good idea for Japan, where space is at a premium and where many people live in cities and having whole buildings that grow vegetables for the whole city is an excellent idea since the food would be closer to the people.

I've never tasted an vegetable from these factories but as long as they don't need to use pesticides I'm all for it.

I wonder though about the energy required to run these factories, it must be astronomical with all these fluorescent light tubes buzzing throughout the building with heaters and water pumps running but it's as close to super efficiency as I can imagine.

This technology will make it harder for the population control crowd to justify their beliefs now that more farmland should be freed up for the wild to take over.

As long as people realize that having more than 3 kids makes land a hell lot more expensive and out of reach for other people, we will be fine.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Hello,

This might help you along but this is a primitive method but still used in many nations.

But for the record, the more we alter nature the more were digging our grave.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unregistered
They're a lot more expensive that regular crops though since extra care is given to the crops.

In my experience, a head of lettuce grown in these factories is not all that much more expensive than one that's been imported. It's more expensive than getting it from the farm directly in summer, but in February that's just not an option.

Last time I took notice, I found it was roughly 20 yen difference (20 cents, give or take). About the same price you'd pay for certified organic produce elsewhere.

It's all relative, of course. Food here tends to be on the pricey side in general, if it's not local produce.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
odd quote from the story:

The results are hygienic, but it's about as far from real food as you can possibly get.

I'm really not sure what they mean by that. I mean, come on. It's lettuce, for god's sake. That line makes it sound like it's bio-engineered plastic food or something.

As you so well pointed out and i too picked has picked up on it, it does sound like they are telling us , its good for you but do not expect it to taste like the real thing. Truly weird..!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Do you have any proof that *the more we alter nature the more we are digging our grave* or is that just nonsensical hippie mumbo jumbo? i think this is great and i hope its the future way of production for our food supply along with meat(without the animals) if its proven to be nutritionally sound and good for you how on earth can you fault this exactly?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Remember this : bovine spongiform

All indication point to human alteration of its eating diet. What, you think playing with genetics did not have a cost for us to pay. I wont even approach the fact that supplement vitamin pills are the craziest form of getting people to buy a product when they should simply concentrate on a healthier diet.

P.S. Dont know what a hippie mumbo jumbo is, but i do recall some hardcore herbal tea.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
reply to post by vox2442

What is alarming is that most food being grown or should is say about 90% of all food in europe has been genetically altered. Apart from regional small areas were natural food is still being grown by the owners.

Lets face it, the food being fed to live stock is more or less made of live stock itself, so a plant eating animal has become accustomed to meat eating animal. I do feel that at some time, all this manipulation will turn around and bite us, and bite hard it will.

However, in reference to the Japanese, well turning out food in a time slot sounds like a fast food store and we all know how healthy fast food is.

You are simply posting lies. You may feel that this is how you, personally view the world - that these distortions sum up the shibboleths and urban myths of your life - however they are simply not true - they are lies - which makes you a liar.

When posting things which appear to convey some semblance of fact perhaps you could consider actually educating yourself first or not simply post biased, agenda driven lies.

Hybridisation is what you are referring too. By phrasing it as genetically "altered" you are confusing readers with genetically modified - which amounts to the same thing and is a lie.

Yes most of our food has been selectively bread for better yields through hybridisation - however without this we would all still be hunting Neanderthals.

Secondly claiming that all our livestock is fed on live stock ( a lose and fast reference to integrating protein into their diets) is again a massive distortion on the facts.

Again yes this occurs "to a degree" however since the mad cow outbreak has been almost completely eliminated - their is fish pelleting and other approaches though.

Finally hydroponic growing - which is all this is and nothing more - produces the most unflavoured some food imaginable - it is revolting. Hence why any chef worth a scrap knows this "IS NOT FOOD!!!"

Please l;earn to recognise your own short comings and be truthful about your level of understanding - show some humility and you will be taking more seriously rather than having to be publicly rebukes like this.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

So, hydroponic food tastes like crap? I did not know that.
This article sucks, it could have been interesting, but its poorly written and does not provide enough information. What do they mean "immaculate vegetables," if they don't even taste like "real" food.
The most important questions to have answered are, is this food nutritious, can it be as nutritious as naturally grown food and if not, why not? Frankly, I don't care about the naturalness of the plants environment, or the genetic pedigree (unless the genetics make it less nutritious). What I want is nutritious food that can be grown in abundance at low cost and with a minimum of environmental damage. Does this process fit the bill?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
Well i must say, i have the advantage of knowing what a tomato taste's like when its grown in some remote village in europe and within that same country the tomato which i have purchased from a super market. The difference is like lead to gold, there is no mistaking it.

This one made me laugh. I live in a remote village in southern Spain, and guess how all the vegetables are grown around here? GREENHOUSES. Plastics all over the place, tomatoes and peppers all grown hydroponically, chemically. You simply do not find "Land grown" veggies around here.

Those are what you buy in the store elsewhere in Europe. The stuff you buy locally is crap, garbage, poor quality. Even those few veggies grown in the soil on people's couple acres.

The only difference I've ever seen is veggies I've grown myself, and those come from genetic hybrids.

Screwing with nature is the only way we are going to survive and move forward.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join