It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ford U.S. May sales decline 24.2%

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Ford U.S. May sales decline 24.2%

www.marketwatch.com

Ford Motor Co. said Tuesday that total U.S. May sales fell 24.2% to 161,531 vehicles from 213,238 a year ago. By brand, Ford sales fell 25.5% to 137,167 vehicles, Lincoln sales rose 2.4% to 8,566 units, Mercury sales declined 24.8% to 10,221 units, and Volvo sales fell 22.9% 5,577 units.

Ford said it will increase North American production by 10,000 vehicles to 445,000 in the second quarter, and by 42,000 vehicles to 460,000 vehicles in the second quarter, and by 42,000 vehicles to 460,000 vehicles in the third quarter.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
With both Chrysler and General Motors under bankruptcy restructuring Ford is doing no better.

Interesting that their reaction to falling sales volume is to increase production over the next three quarters. :shk:

I would tell them how stupid they are being but then I don't make millions a year plus bonuses and benefits to give my opinion any weight.

Tick... tick... tick...

www.marketwatch.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Sigh.

it looks to me like Ford is betting for economic recovery. They are going to lose on that bet.

Not good.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Hey guys - you might want to cut Ford a little slack.

1. Ford has not accepted any government bailout money that is "borrowed" from us taxpayers. Would you rather Ford accept government bailout money at taxpayer expense, meaning YOUR expense and MY expense, only never to see that money again?

2. The best selling vehicle in the United States in 2008 was the Ford F-150 pickup truck. In the wake of the most devastating recession we've seen in our history, that speaks volumes.

www.predictify.com...

3. They've just released their second hybrid vehicle, the Fusion hybrid. This article from Wired says a hypermiling master got 1,445 miles out of ONE tank of gas on a Fusion hybrid.

www.wired.com...

Their Ford Escape hybrid was their first hybrid. What hybrids did GM and Chrysler produce? Oh yeah - the Tahoe hybrid that got a whopping 20 MPG at a mere $55,000 price tag.

Personally I applaud them, especially for not taking government hand-holding, and I hope they make it.

[edit on 2-6-2009 by sos37]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I know...and I do applaud that....but increasing production when no one is buying cars?

That sounds suicidal. It's exactly what our government is doing with our debt. No one is buying...but we keep producing.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I dunno. We're hearing that there are signs of recovery being seen. I think when people have been tightening their belts for a long time and they finally get a little bit of leeway they tend to go out and splurge big the first time out. Maybe they'll go out and buy a car. Or maybe Ford is about to release a round of new incentives.

Or you could be right, they could be gambling that the recovery will get better and people will be loose with their pocketbooks. I do so hope they don't go down the GM/Chrysler road.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

The fed is raising interest rates to stave off inflation. What does that mean?

That means it will cost more to get a loan for a house or car as the interest rate will rise.

That can't happen but it will happen...along with inflation.

It's getting worse sos37. We're in trouble....it doesn't matter what they say in the media. It's inevitable...the only real question is how bad it will be.

Increasing production on cars that the majority will not be able to afford is suicide....I hope I'm wrong...but everything shows that this won't be the case.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The increase production will probably be exports to China

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Ford is now the only American auto maker still in bussiness. The appeal Ford will have on that account is not to be underestimated. Now that GM is defunct Ford is in better shape. They should pump more money into research and development. Engineers should be more important than bussiness majors.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Great Post! I own a Ford and absolutely love it.

My main point though: They have got to make Ford look like it is failing so it can be taken over too!

They forced bailout money upon some banks that didn't want it, what makes you think they won't do it to Ford down the road?

new topics

top topics

join