It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened to Cryptozoology?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I'll tell you what Raven, you have one of the strongest passions for a topic I have EVER seen. I don't think I have ever seen someone so interested in Cryptozoology, maybe you can do what I always wanted to: discover Loch Ness, lost Dinosaurs, or some other major mythical beast. You are like a professional at work here and keep it up my friend.

(Members who know me know I do NOT praise easily UNLESS it is just, and this is justified.)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

My issue isn't when people try and say a theory is 100% fact. Because we don't have all the evidence.

My issue is when people make excuses for ignoring evidence. That makes me mad.

Some people don't believe in fossils.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

You are too sweet.

I really want to identify new species. That is my goal. That way, when I find one, I can hold it up to the world and go "You cannot refute this. Hah."

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Some people don't believe in fossils.

That's crazy talk. How can people not believe in fossils?

That brings up another point. I wonder if there are any fossilized cryptids that have ever been found. I remember seeing something in your OP about that. Then again though wouldn't every new fossil found be a crypitid?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

LOL, I have talked to people (here in the south) that still think THE EARTH IS 6000 YEARS OLD!! I mean WTF??

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Every new anything (fossil, species, etc) is a cryptid until it is identified. If it is new, it pretty much remains a cryptid until there are a number of different specimens found.

You've never heard anyone say "These fossils were put here to trick us?"

It's... I really understand that religion is important and I respect the right of everyone to have it in their lives. But when it starts to refute numerous carbon dating tests, when people discount hundreds of reputable scientists... it bugs me.

But if you think something is true, you'll put up blinders to see only what supports your idea. We all do that. I do it all the time.

It gets under my skin when people do it regarding science because I'm very passionate about it.

Haha, this brings me right back to my annoyance that I voiced in my "Christianity and Cryptozoology" thread. It's perfectly okay to be interested in a topic. It's not cool to nitpick it to support your religious agenda when researchers work really hard to find and study all the evidence.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I tend to stay away from those people. Talk about tunnel vision. I might have talked to some people like that but I don't ever get into religious talks with them that is something that I tend to stay away from. So if they do feel that way I don't know that they do.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I try to do that, too. In terms of cryptozoology, I mean, has the study of dinosaur-type species really been reduced to an argument for creationism?

I don't know. I hope not. Because I don't agree with that.

I mentioned in my other thread that some religious groups were using the Coelacanth as an example to refute science, even though the fish itself is pretty much a critical link in evolution (lobe-finned fish) and I think it's hard to ignore that.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Oh yea, I know people who think evolution is bs, despite the obvious evidence. Everytime I say "you can believe in BOTH God AND evolution" they shut their minds. LOL, my best friend is pretty open minded but when I start talking about some of the odd alien-God theories on here he says "I don't even want to hear it, I believe what I do and that is that"...It is a shame.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I guess I must be lucky, I've only read on the internet where people say that.

I know what you mean. We all tend to put up blinders for our beliefs but then again you can't have such an open mind that your brain falls out.

I try to stay away from the religous talks though, I only talk about religion with one person, hes agnostic. And we don't talk about it that much though. It's funny because his Wife is christian and her grandmother used to practice I think it was voodoo or Wicca, one of those now she goes to church, talk about crazy times.

Back on topic though, I guess really though things like Bigfoot and the like really dilute the study of cryptozoology because it really does have a legitimate purpose especially with the advances in technology we are making.

I wonder in a billion years if humans are extinct if some race of aliens will be have the same conversations as people on this board.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

As far as Dinosaurs still existing goes I think it is pretty obvious that we don't know crap about a lot of the remote parts of the world, let alone the abyssal depths of the ocean. I mean every year how many new animals do we discover? How long will it take until people stop treating Cryptozoology and Ufology (and others) like a parascience when in fact it is a true science that if taken seriously likely could change mankinds outlook on the world and universe.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Bigfoot is weird. Like in all honesty, here's my quick summary on the topic:

Usually there are different hominid species around at the same time, so for it to be just us would be strange, even though we may have hunted all others off.

There are tons of hoaxes and it's hard to tell what is real anymore, because they are the easiest hoaxes to make and tons of people do it.

Loren Coleman is such a great cryptozoologist and I trust and believe him and he's sure they're around. He's done so much research on them, and typically I would think otherwise, but he seems convinced.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

But with Bigfoot sightings all across the world it does seem kind of unlikely it is a "global hoax" does it not?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I don't think it is.

But then people should stop making fake videos and spreading false sightings, you know?

Because now I don't know what's real or not.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I don't know I would just think as many sightings as there have been a bone would turned up or something. Something physical. They could be real, but there have been reports of them for 100's of years, I would think at this point something a little more than footprints would have popped up.

That is just my take on it.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Yea the bone issue always gets me, but there have been some somewhat logical explanations put forth to account for it. It is like with Nessie, people were asking "where is the carcass?" Well that didn't fly as much because the size and depth of the lock could easily hide a body. Although a recent Monsterquest episode speculated that Nessie could indeed be dead. Here is part one of the video:

I know I am jumping all over here but hey..

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I'm always amazed with the cryptids that are discovered daily in every environment all over the planet, yet disappear almost immediately from the public eye once such cryptids receive the scientific seal of approval. As if to say "Okay, we have that one categorized and in our pocket, no need to further muse upon it."

Every living thing on this planet, known and unknown, has hundreds of millions of years of evolutionary history behind it; yet, our science-saturated culture refuses to acknowledge the existence of cryptids until we hold their gutted carcasses in our hands. A week after their "discovery" and certification, these creatures fade from our human realm of interest.

I think this is the key to understanding the Bigfoot and Nessie and even the UFO phenomena, which I happen to think are all products of human imagination. Such phenomena are open-ended mysteries, manufactured and embellished by the human mind in such a way as to remain open-ended mysteries.

We humans don't merely crave and enjoy mystery, we need it as a catalyst in the ongoing evolution of our minds. Where no mystery exists to Science, humans will fabricate mystery.

The stated mission of Science is to unlock the mysteries of Nature... But, while fascinating to us in the short-term, I think we humans subconsciously perceive the "march of Science" as a threat to our need for the unexplained and the unexplainable.

So, here we have these perennial favorite human mysteries: Giants lumbering across the landscape; Sea monsters emerging from the depths; Angels and demons descending from the heavens. These are the Earth Mysteries, I call them, the mysteries of the Land, the Sea, and the Air — mysteries that will persist because our youthful Science cannot and probably never will solve them to the satisfaction of the human collective.

We need these mysteries, and we need them unsolved. Because, if we ever did catch BigFoot and identify him as a descendent of Gigantopithicus, if we ever did capture Nessie and identify her as a Plesiosaur, if we ever did make contact with UFOs and learned that they were the angels and demons of old, then we will not have gained anything.

We will have lost a great deal, however, in closing the casebooks on those enduring mysteries, for they represent unreachable objectives in our minds, and that is what fuels our indefatigable quest for knowledge

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Just staying on the crypto topic, if these are all "in our heads" then how do you explain Architeuthis Dux or Mesonychoteuthis Hamiltoni and their stunning relationship to the Kraken (another supposed myth)?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Hello all, I have been a lurker for a year, but this post, along with a few other interesting ones I found, made me create an account to join in the discussions.
now one of the members asked why cryptozoology and ufology are disregarded by science in general. I disagree with that statement. Biology does what cryptozooly sets out to do; biologists are out in the fields/forest/deserts/oceans looking for new specimens all the time; once in a while actually finding new species. Ufology is covered by astronomy, cosmology, and the science of astrobiology which is starting to get a lot of attention lately.
what I wonder is if any of the main targets of cryptozologists, in other words those creatures that are viewed largely as myth by the scientific community because of the lack of evidence for their existence, have actually been found.
second, can anyone give me examples of some animals/creatures who were thought to be fictional and mythical that have been found in the last ten years?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I believe the field of cryptozoology has been lacking support. Just like many things, it was just a fad. I am very interested and probably will always be interested in the field of cryptozoology, but more people need to get interested in this real subject.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join