It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

food to eat for up to 2 years when shtf badly

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I plan on eating mostly what I have been the last 3 years, my own veggies, fish I catch, occasional rabbit that falls in one of my traps, nothing I relly need to worry about shelf life, except maybe the rabbit, unless i try raisng some, might not be a bad idea

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Anytime one of these topics come up there are always those out there that say "I'll just use my fishing pole and catch a few fish". Well taht sounds great and as a matter of fact I have a fishing pole and tackle kit in each of my bobs.

As a survivalist our main goal is to survive any event that may take place and be prepared for any and all posible scenerios. WIth thsi said I would like to mention a few possible scenerios the first and formeost being the end times as the bible teaches.

In Revalations 8:11 "And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter" So as a believer in Jesus Christ as well as his word I have to take that verse literally and believe that in an end times scenerio the waters will be poisoned. If a third of the waters become poisoned then it is save to beleive that a third of the fish in those waters will also die. THis is substantiated in Revalations 8:9 "And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed". I also believe there is a verse that speaks of a third of the plant life being destroyed as well as the sun being blacked out. Anybody think this sounds like a nuclear winter.

Now I realize that all those on this board do not believe in the bible and thats your perogative but the same philosophy holds true. In the event of another WTSHTF scenerio the seas could be poisioned by something genetic or nuclear waste, fallout, etc.

My advice is simply this, do not simply rely on 1 method of survival. Survival by definition means backup to the backup. So yes a fishing pole, a hunting rifle, or even a slingshot are all great as well as the ability to grow your own food but it sure will be nice to have a year or two or three of dehydrated foods to fall back on.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

food to eat for up to 2 years when shtf badly

Ideally, you would have well established vegetable crops in a relatively isolated place near to a river and woodland.

However, for most, this will not be the case.

There are a lot of foodstuffs with surprisingly long shelflives! and provided you store them properly they will probably exceed those.

A well timed 'megaspend, at your local supermarket should provide you and your family with enough food and water to survive for two years quite comfortably. Although you will need to choose wisely. The diet will be poor but provided you can hold up somewhere safely for this time(you dont want to have to move all those cans and bottles etc) you should survive.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I saw that you posted that you are in NYC. I live about an hour and a half north of you (Put Cty). I would seriously (and most kindly) recommend you move north if you are in any position to do so. I would be very nervous about being in the big city when SHTF. My hubby works in the city and I'm always freaked out that he's going to be stranded there when it all goes down.
I am a little more blessed in that I work outside of the city, a little farther north...still much closer than I would like but w/e.

As a general rule, it's a good idea to be about 200 mi from the shore line. Also, because most of Manhattan is built on landfill, this is the worst place to be during an earthquake (but I'm sure you already know this). In addition, most of the clustered fault lines are in that area...with the exception of the lovely ones running through Indian Point (and up N.) of course.

In any case, we have to protect our own. As a survivalist, you seriously need to start planning a move my friend! Best of luck!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
The only thing i can say here ... if u cook it long enough theres no harm in eating it. Theres been times ive seen rancid meat cooked to oblivion without food poisoning or any other detrimental side effects... please dont ask

edit to add, but these pills ... seem like an awesome survival tool ... i like the sound of em

[edit on 20-6-2009 by conspiracyrus]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
On the rancid meat theme - I've seen this done also. from memory I think they boiled/cooked it a few times before eating it - the meat had been crawling with flies and had maggots on it but they just brushed them off first.

This is also where a supply of spices comes in handy to disguise the taste

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Also, out of what I am growing, and don't eat, I am dehydrating..weighs as light as a feather, and you just add water, heat, and the spices/herbs of your choice!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Insubordinate Soul
buy a fishing rod and a fisherman hat lol problem solved
know need to thank me everyone

When the shtf it will be anarchy, your first fishing attempt will leave you mugged and bleeding from a gunshot wound when your gear is stolen. Good luck with that

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by contemplator

Originally posted by Insubordinate Soul
buy a fishing rod and a fisherman hat lol problem solved
know need to thank me everyone

When the shtf it will be anarchy, your first fishing attempt will leave you mugged and bleeding from a gunshot wound when your gear is stolen. Good luck with that

Yes, but the fishing will be great later on down the road when they have all killed themselves off and we are getting bored of our veggies and dried foods etc...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Take a look at this thread:

Up to 10 year family food plans, bulk disaster food suppliers.

Might be just what you need.

Regards S_G

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I would relocate also. I have MREs and they are really good. I agree vitamins are a must. This place has fast shipping, never a issue but only buy the new 2008 or if they have 2009 ones as they only last 5 years stored at 70 degrees or so. I forgot to tell you . I buy the single entrees not the cases of 12. I found that I like to choose what dishes i will eat also i dont need the side dishes. One thing about MREs they are filling. I do buy the heaters, not tons but some MRE heaters can be used to cook anything, even boil water.

They have some other cool stuff also.

theepicenter.com...

PS. I also have a fishing pole.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by saralee]

[edit on 1-7-2009 by saralee]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Hello! Fish need oxygen, if we have intense solar flares they may go to the bottom of the waterand die from lack of oxygen. In the South USA
the fish go to the bottom when the water gets too hot. Lots of the fish die and are floating on top of the water in July and August. It gets up in the 90s six months out of the year. It also makes it harder to catch fish when they're on the bottom of the lake. My husband fishes alot and mostly never catches any thing. Except sharks at the beach. They love squid. Never swim where someone is fishing. At five o'clock pm we were fishing at the beach and a shark four feet long started swwiming in the waves that were only 2 1/2 feet deep horizontially to the beach!!!! We were fortunately standing above the tide water. I really don't want to even wade in the ocean now. There again the fish go out to the intercontinental shelf when the water is too hot. The intercontinental shelf is closer to the florida coast line so that's why they have more shark attacks than other areas. The intercontinental shelf is miles out from North and South Carolina.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ
Check this out dude.linkywinkywoo

When the Survival Food Tabs were formulated, a host of factors were considered in order to adapt them to their purpose as a lightweight, emergency. life-sustaining food ration:

Am I the only one who smells some hardcore BS from the above linked site?

Special proteins that are 99% digestible? Ok, now, what about a complete array of proteins so you get your needed course of amino acids?

Special carbohydrates? Like.. glucose? which is 100% digestible?

30-50% (i forget) of our calories get secreted as waste? um.. no.. tho while the thermogenic effect of food might come into play (it takes calories to chew and digest your meal). I think they're looking at an old stat that says that the average american diet, we secret XX% of our proteins from meals out as waste because protein only stays in the body for 4 hours or so whereas sugars and fat get stores as fat and glycogen.

The less you eat the more efficient your body gets? BS alarm! its called starvation mode and its when your metabolism crashes.

our pills are 100% digestible and usable by th ebody for nutrition - Read as no fiber.. good luck crapping.

I could go on, but I just don't care anymore.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ
Check this out dude.linkywinkywoo

When the Survival Food Tabs were formulated, a host of factors were considered in order to adapt them to their purpose as a lightweight, emergency. life-sustaining food ration:

Am I the only one who smells some hardcore BS from the above linked site?

Special proteins that are 99% digestible? Ok, now, what about a complete array of proteins so you get your needed course of amino acids?

Special carbohydrates? Like.. glucose? which is 100% digestible?

30-50% (i forget) of our calories get secreted as waste? um.. no.. tho while the thermogenic effect of food might come into play (it takes calories to chew and digest your meal). I think they're looking at an old stat that says that the average american diet, we secret XX% of our proteins from meals out as waste because protein only stays in the body for 4 hours or so whereas sugars and fat get stores as fat and glycogen.

The less you eat the more efficient your body gets? BS alarm! its called starvation mode and its when your metabolism crashes.

our pills are 100% digestible and usable by th ebody for nutrition - Read as no fiber.. good luck crapping.

I could go on, but I just don't care anymore.

You're dead right mate, I wanted to believe they had made a breakthrough, but they are selling a product that practically seems to make itself out to be 'you can run off fresh air' if you pop a few pills each day and drink water.
The body or rather your digestive system will come to a grinding halt without food passing through, slower if water is used.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

If vitamins are an issue, there's a vitamin that lasts 10 years....longer if you store them in the fridge. You can find said vitamins here website

Check out the entire site also for alternate types of food.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join