It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

food to eat for up to 2 years when shtf badly

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I have been reading and searching for information on the various food/sustenance options out there.

I read that MRE meals are not meant to be eaten for longer than a month, has anyone had experience eating these for many many months on end? Does it effect the body negatively?

Is freeze dried food better for a daily long haul grind?

My feeling is that canning will be good for 6 months but what about after that?

I am not as concerned about cost as I am about quality and effectiveness. I mean I would be more than happy to pay a premium for the high end long lasting, healthy, options out there than to save some cash and go for something that will end up giving me stones or erratic bowel movement.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Note though money is not an issue, space is one. So as much as i would love i cant have a garden or hydroponic system.

[edit on 2-6-2009 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
buy a fishing rod and a fisherman hat lol problem solved
know need to thank me everyone

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Reply to post by Desolate Cancer

I think the issue with MRE's is one of vitamins. I have a pretty good supply of them but have other bulk foods like beans that if stored right will last a long time.

I think that a balanced supply would serve you much better over a 2 year period.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Insubordinate Soul

What did you join this site to give responses like that? Come on dude, i love reading wise, snippy comments but only when they are part of a larger more genuinely helpful response.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

So would having a strong varied stock of vitamins help offset that problem, with the mre's?

Your suggestion of having variety is a great one, I was thinking the same thing as well just wanted to see if maybe there was an ideal product out there that though might be a bit more expensive it provides a lot more than other choices.

But right now I am leaning towards a stock of MRE's, freeze dried, and some dried goods (beans, rice) even some ensure plus. The vitamins are a definite one no matter what.

I was even thinking of buying some meal replacement powders, or weight gainers, but according to their expiration dates they will not last that long.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

Here you go...

One of MANY options...the rest can be found thru your OWN research.

And here is a thread on MRE's...

content edit...

[edit on 6/2/2009 by chapter29]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

look dude are you abit slow....... what do you use a fishing rod for ????????????? people survived all there lifes with food provided by something called THE FISHING ROD

you see there is a substance in earth called fresh water and in this substance many many eatable creatures reside within, and can be captured by the ROD OF FISH LOL

its alot less bulky than 100 tins of beans and if you live near the substance called water it might be some help to you

snippy enough for you lol
i thought my point was obvious /?/ are your from the States by chance

relax dude i only came to this site because i know aliens

call your food store and ask for some soylent green it a strong vitamin it might help

[edit on 2-6-2009 by Insubordinate Soul]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insubordinate Soul

look dude are you abit slow....... what do you use a fishing rod for ????????????? people survived all there lifes with food provided by something called THE FISHING ROD

you see there is a substance in earth called fresh water and in this substance many many eatable creatures reside within, and can be captured by the ROD OF FISH LOL

its alot less bulky than 100 tins of beans and if you live near the substance called water it might be some help to you

snippy enough for you lol
i thought my point was obvious /?/ are your from the States by chance

relax dude i only came to this site because i know aliens

call your food store and ask for some soylent green it a strong vitamin it might help

[edit on 2-6-2009 by Insubordinate Soul]

Well for me living in NYC our local fish supplies should not be eaten at all, more mercury than a thermometer, and other nasty chemicals. So though you are right about fishing being a great option if I lived near a river or clean water source this just isnt one for me. Sorry about getting snippy with you just thought your short response was intended as a FU.

So you say you know aliens? can you provide a link somewhere you explain this in more detail, please.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
survivalacres.com...
Stores easy. Only takes water and a way to cook.
Can be as healthfull and taste as fresh as new.
Cheap enough if you never need it, toss it.
Not sayin' it's THAT cheap but what is your life worth anyway?
Your kids'?
Can store for 20+ years if done right!
May save your life. Perfect for your location.
I can vouch for this site.
My 2 cents.

[edit on 2-6-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I appreciate humor as much as the next guy, but I also really appreciate patience and assistance wherever possible.

For starters, if you are living in NYC, you might really think of a relocation as part of your plan. Just saying. A possible move, especially under duress, might also really affect your decisions with what you should be stocking up on.

I think a fishing pole is a pretty good idea to have with you, if you can find a place to fish. A rifle is going to be helpful in gathering food as well.

The main problem I have is that two years worth of just about anything becomes a major liability unless it is stored someplace that no one else can find.

My personal goal is to get as close to a years worth of various food together as I can, hoping that by then I will have reloacted to a more sustainable locale.

I plan on using a combination of dehydrated, vacuum packed foods, MREs and some of those survival food tablets. Whatever I accumulate has to be able to relocate with me in the event an exodus is required.

I think the vitamin supplements are a really good idea, as is variation in your diet. MREs always screw my gut up a little bit, so I end up constipated. I would hate to be that way for a few months. (too much nformation, I know, but it might be pertinent)

I'm preparing a lot of dried fruits and veggies, jerkies, dried soups, anything I can make myself and also purchasing some ready made supplies to eat on special occassions.

Once you get yours figured out, let us know so we can compare notes and benefit from your research.
Please.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I was wondering what combination of canned foods you could buy at a supermarket that would provide a well balanced diet. I've tried doing some simple searches online for this answer, but with no luck.

One of the problems I have with this SHTF scenario is that I live in a small apartment with other people that laugh at me when I mention anything involving aliens or conspiracy theories. A year's supply of freeze dried rations would be difficult for me, to say the least.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Well, if we are talking of SHTF...present day threats of nuclear war, throw the fishing rod out unless you want to eat radioactive fish.Second...get out of NYC!!!!! If you cannot, find a safe haven out of town but within reasonable traveling distance to avoid the mass rush of refugees. I live in Detroit..but I am 3 hours away from my mom who lives in the rural areas of southwest Michigan...I also own property with my Dad in northern MI with a small cabin being built...both are segregate and you can easily make the short trip, but still be safer than in the city.

If leaving is not an option follow some simple guidelines for survival
for shelters,first aid etc.
www.ki4u.com...

other simple things such as a safe room, like exterior doors and reinforcements on a large closet or spare interior room would help.

MRE's are good to give you a regular meal feeling with some vitamins and beneficial nutrients. For those who dont know, and MRE was actually designed to be a morale booster in a convenient package. What better for a soldier than a hot american style meal in the convenience of a carry on package.

The newer ones do offer sustenance better than older manufactured MRES. Your canned foods and non perishables+MRE's+properly stored water+basic survival knowledge+knowing how to improvise under stress or trauma+will to live.....you should be ok

by the way invest in some water purification tabs which use iodine as a major ingredient, as well as some potassium iodide tabs .

also develop a strategy that your entire family knows and will operate on. assign certain tasks to those who can perform them. in a time of crisis, operate your family like a small army unit. Things go alot smoother when those with a job ..well...do their job.

hope this helps to relieve your obvious stress on the matter.

just remember, that When..and not if # hits the fan..take it from me DO NOT RELY ON LAW ENFORCEMENT...RELY ON YOURSELF us cops are people as well with our familys best interest in our own heads, when things like this happen its sad to say, but everyman for himself. I already have a plan with my buddys i served with in the army for our own apocalypse survival. develop your own and ensure your familys safety.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Dude i was just ribbn you abit sitting in work, but a fishing rod will help even if you live in NY with very polluted rivers the sea may still be good to eat out of.
After afew days without food i would eat anything i caught, Fish, Mussels, Crabs apart from sanitary towels and such.
Anything in a shell like Cockles and Mussels are natures most efficient water pumps there eazy to catch ,place them in a tub of clean water for a day or two and all toxins and pollutants will have been filtered out. Natural antibiotics may be needed also to boost your immune system Garlic, Watercrest and many herbs and weeds are prity good for you and good in food also. (marijuana would be pretty valuable in barter also)

Get some seeds or some books on wild plant life in your region. Honey is very good to, as far as i know the stuff doesn't go bad it keeps for a long long time. Learn or get a book on basic electronics so you can make a basic homemade power generaror just get a ac /dc inverter and you can always can rip a battery and the other parts needed out of a car or something and you will always have power.

Then learn how you would go about distilling alcohol for antiseptic, barter, fule or for people to get drunk. Learning the skills and knowledge needed to make and take what you need is more important than a ton of food.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by chapter29

Here you go...

One of MANY options...the rest can be found thru your OWN research.

[edit on 6/2/2009 by chapter29]

That company efoodsdirect seems absolutley great. But has anyone actually tried their foods? I am wondering how it tastes and cooks.

Insubordinate Soul, that is some great advice you provided, survival skills are invaluable since if you are captured or come across rough times you can save yourself by trading skills.

TO those who say move out of NYC well believe me I plan on it. I have a home on the southwest outskirts of Charlotte NC, and plan on relocating down there this summer. Only problem is that its a condo so again no space for garden.

I posted another thread about spliting or sharing a safehouse/property with others, but this was for the NY area. Since I will be moving to Charlotte I will probably post another thread to find people in the area to do the same with, more of us makes for better security as well.

But any personal experiences with efoodsdirect is well apreciated. Saw some stuff on youtube and elsewhere but I value the advice/info from members on this site much more.

Edit to say Not so sure about efoodsdirect now was looking closer at their ingredients list and the meat dishes are not even meat they are fake. Also many of the other items seem to have tons of chemicals. Hoping to find a good company selling highend long term storage foods. Not ven that long term I would eat it myself and order anew as needed until I feel things are safe again.

[edit on 2-6-2009 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Check this out dude.linkywinkywoo

When the Survival Food Tabs were formulated, a host of factors were considered in order to adapt them to their purpose as a lightweight, emergency. life-sustaining food ration:

Survival Food Tabs 1. The less intake of food, the more efficient the body becomes. Basically, when food intake is reduced, it remains in the digestive tract longer and assimilates more completely.

2. Generally, of the food we eat, a great deal of it is not digested and used up as calories. The Survival Food Tabs are 100% digestible as well as completely assimilated by the body.

3. The quality of the food we eat is more important than the quantity. Poor quality protein, carbohydrate and fat can put a strain on the digestive organ, especially the kidneys.

In the Survival Tabs, we have used protein of a high biological value, which is 100% utilized. This helps protect the body from cannibalism of its own protective tissues. The fat is composed totally of fatty acids which provide the essential ingredients of fat. The carbohydrates are of the high quality and 100% utilized too.

4. In 90% of all survival situations, some additional food will be available. The Survival Food Tabs are designed to be the Margin of Survival. For example, if one were lost in a jungle area, one might have to find grubs, insects, berries, small animals or whatever to eat. One would have to adapt to the circumstances quickly until he found his way out or was rescued. The Survival Food Tabs would be that Margin of Survival, along with whatever one could gather, to sustain oneself as long as necessary. Another example, would be desert or sea survival. In these cases, little supplemental food may be available. The Survival Food Tabs would sustain one as long as he would expect to live normally, before being overcome by exposure, the elements, or lack of water.

Evolved From the Early Space Program The Survival Tabs have a long history. Back in the 1960’s the Federal Government was searching for a food source that could be used in specialty situations. The objective was to find a product that would provide...

The Best Possible Nutrition in the Smallest Possible Volume The resulting research was extremely involved and intense, and the product that evolved was used in the early space program. Eventually, a tablet was perfected and used widely as a emergency food. It came to be known as The Survival Tabs.

12 Tabs Per Day Is All You’ll Need The Survival Tabs will keep you alive and moving for months at a time, on the amount you can carry in your backpack. Our recommended consumption of 12 tabs per day may be decreased when other foods are available in adequate amounts and quality. Or it may be increased in times of complete starvation or extreme physical exertion.

12 Tabs provide 100% of the U.S. RDA of 15 Essential Vitamins & Minerals And that’s not all. The reason The Survival Tabs are so effective, is that they are literally jam-packed with concentrated nutrition. The protein we use is of the highest quality only. That’s important because protein can be of varied quality. If it is poor quality, your body will not be able to assimilate it properly. With most food products, 30%-60% of the calorie content leaves the body unused. Survival Tabs are so completely digestible that 99% of their calorie content can be actually utilized for energy. Ninety-seven percent of the protein content is available for repair or replacement of essential body substances, such as blood, muscle and nerves.

10+ Year Shelf Life The Tabs have been produced and packaged to last at least 10 years. We’ve accomplished this in several ways. Number one, we have compressed the tablets with thousands of pounds of pressure with our specialized tablet presses. Oxygen and moisture, the arch-enemies of food, cannot penetrate the tablets to destroy the ingredients. Number two, we use a heavy-duty, opaque bottle to pack the Tabs. The bottle does not allow either light or outside oxygen to penetrate and deteriorate the product. Number three, the closure is a specially designed screw- type lid which, along with being screwed tight on the bottle, is sealed with tamper resistant tape.

Bottom Line: The Survival Tabs are a convenient, compact, lightweight, lifesaving food ration for any emergency. They are completely nutritious, have a 10+ year shelf life and are absolutely delicious. Just let them melt in your mouth...you’ll probably chew them up...they are so irresistibly good-tasting!

Survival Tabs are intended for those emergency conditions where a person must travel light and live on whatever food they can actually carry with them for weeks or even months at a time. Twelve tabs per day supply a considerable portion of the calorie requirements of an active adult. It may be assumed that if the person living on them is required to "hole up", their energy requirement will be considerable reduced. When traveling across country, it may be assumed that at least some other food will be found occasionally. Survival Tabs eliminate the risk or wasted time that might be required to actually hunt for food or go out of one's way to obtain it.

With most food products, 30 to 60 percent of the theoretical calorie content leaves the body unused. Survival Tabs are so completely digestible that 99% of their calorie content can be actually utilized for energy and 97% of the protein is actually available for repair or replacement of essential body substances such as blood, muscle, nerves, etc. Twelve Survival Tabs per day provide more than enough protein so sustain essential body tissues.

By placing one Survival Tab in the mouth every hour or so and letting it dissolve slowly during a 15 minute period of time, assimilation of all nutrients will be maximized and appetite will be fully satisfied.

The Survival Tabs container is of such size and shape as to fit and be carried within a regular G.I. canteen pouch. The small empty space under the lid of this container is filled with and extra plastic bag. If and extra water canteen is needed, the Survival Tabs can be poured out into the plastic bag and be carried in a pocket or backpack while the container is used as a canteen.

There have been several individuals who have lived on a diet of Survival Food Tabs exclusively for 4-5 months. This was done out of necessity, because of their inability to eat or keep down any other foods.

In controlled studies which we have conducted, we've found that when living on a diet of Survival Food Tabs exclusively, one loses from 5-8 lbs. the first week. This is mainly due to the emptying of the intestines of all food previously eaten. After the first week, there is a leveling off and a minimum weight loss of 0-2 lbs. per week. This is in consideration of a normal active daily routine.

The Survival Food Tabs provide greatly larger amounts of calories and nutrition than any other product available. The high caloric content, combined with a carefully balanced amount of all the essential nutrients, provides a "state of the art" product as far as survival rations are concerned.

The Survival Food Tabs are presently marketed to the pilots, yachtsmen and other outdoorsmen, who use them as emergency food rations, as well as an energy pick-up food supplement. They are also popular with long-distance truck drivers who don't want to stop to eat.

Survival Food Tabs are a perfect lightweight, emergency food ration for use in survival kits - and a vast improvement over candies and other quick-energy "fixes" that are currently used.

This is a true "survival food" that will keep you alive and moving for months on the amount you can carry in your own pack

Ingredients: Non-fat Dry Milk Solids, Sucrose, Vegetable Oils (including Sunflower And/or Safflower Oil), Calcium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide, Ferrous Fumarate, Zinc Gluconate, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Calcium Pantothenate, Potassium Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Hudrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Cyanocobalamin.

NUTRITION FACTS
Calories 240
Calories from Fat 108
Total Fat 12g, 18% Daily Value
Saturated Fat 3g, 15% Daily Value
Cholesterol 3g, 1% Daily Value
Sodium 140mg, 6% Daily Value
Total Carbohydrates 30g, 10% Daily Value
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 12g
Protein 4g
Vitamin A 100%
Vitamin C 100%
Calcium 20%
Iron 100%
Thiamin (B1) 100%
Riboflavin (B2) 100%
Niacin 100%
Vitamin D 100%
Vitamin E 100%
Pyridoxine HCL (B6) 100%
Folic Acid 100%
Vitamin B12 100%
Phosphorous 10%
Iodine 100%
Pantotyhenic Acid (B5) 100%
Zinc 100%
Manganese 100%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2.000 calories diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

180 food Tabs. 15 day food supply, under 1 pound.

Gluten & Wheat free

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
The tabs seem alright. But with everything there's two sides to the story.

The survivalists on this link take a dim view of the tablets:

www.preparedsociety.com...

For all that it would be interesting to hear from someone whose tried these tablets out in the field though...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
well first off most canned goods will last longer than their expiration date if stored properly. Second long term storage of grain has been going on for thousands of years. Cured meats will last over a year at room temperature, and nothing tastes better than a country ham and beans. There are many ways the primitive people stored foods. Learn what they are and use them. Check out "Wilderness Way", "The Backwoodsman" and other primitive living books and magazines. My best advice is learn to do, not live to depend.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
$45 per-week Emergency Menu for 4 to 6
Click here for pdf then make it into a hard copy so you have it for later

While intended to get you through a week it can be expanded and gives you insight on what things and recipes you should have... good thing to have on hand too if your just wanting to cut your normal food costs too.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Jesus H Christ

Do not fall prey to the scam that is survival food tabs. They are nothing NOTHING more than malt milk mix. THis is a scam to make money off of peoples fears and survival prepardness mentality.

Again virtually everything they say about thier product is either a lie or very misleading.

If you rely or think your ok with survival foodtabs you will be in serious trouble should you ever need them.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Long term think wild edible plants, and heirloom seed kits.

Think snares and other traps, but mostly you can survive on
what is around you in nature or grow your own as ppl before us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join