It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there room for mysticism within Atheism?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperplanes

Originally posted by seagrass
I don't think I would mind a label in this case, simply due to the fact that it would save me a lot of time trying to explain myself.. Problem there is.. why feel that need? To find a "group" or "family" to relate to? Like minds? I find the relating not in the philosophy, but in the living of it.

I find labels quite useful, actually, provided they fit properly. If an individual tells me he's an atheist, certain topics of conversation will be more easily introduced. For instance, I'll be more leary of harping on about the inconsistencies of certain religious texts if I'm conversing with a devout Catholic or Muslim. I can know automatically what subjects are likely to be sensitive topics based on what political or religious affiliation a person has. I try to be a considerate person, so this is rather important in social interactions, wouldn't you say? There's nothing wrong with liking a label or two; nor is it awful to not have an easily accessible label that fits you. And we would do well to remember that a label only describes a tiny facet of a person. It doesn't answer every question for you, or hand over minute details; it only eases introductions
I agree it is a tool, as long as assumptions made are also general. And I too think it is useful in understanding the basis from which they operate on a spiritual theory perspective. But as far as harping on certain things, that I rarely attempt.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I'm an atheist but i do believe in such things as ghosts and more importantly a heaven and a hell, an afterlife. I don't think believing in God or not really should effect belief in the afterlife, it's just that after a history of tying the two together, being told "If you don't accept God then you won't go to Heaven" has made it so that the two, God and an afterlife have become directly intertwined. I also believe the stories in the bible are morally important regardless of truth, I would happilly hand a bible to a criminal if I knew he would listen to the morals presented.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by InternationalistNoAliens
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I'm an atheist but i do believe in such things as ghosts and more importantly a heaven and a hell, an afterlife. I don't think believing in God or not really should effect belief in the afterlife, it's just that after a history of tying the two together, being told "If you don't accept God then you won't go to Heaven" has made it so that the two, God and an afterlife have become directly intertwined. I also believe the stories in the bible are morally important regardless of truth, I would happilly hand a bible to a criminal if I knew he would listen to the morals presented.

You will be happy to know then that this history you speak of is just the superstitions of one tribe amongst many.

I suggest you look up the religious views of your native peoples prior to occupation. For example, in the Celtic tradition, the "otherworld" was just the next step, and there was no karmic attribution... unless of course you were a Druid ;-)

<< 1  2   >>

join