It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MPs to Debate Immediate Election

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

MPs to Debate Immediate Election

news.bbc.co.uk

MPs will next week get a chance to debate whether there should be an immediate general election.

The SNP and Plaid Cymru are tabling a motion calling for the dissolution of Parliament.

The two parties say MPs have lost their authority after the expenses crisis and there should now be a general election.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Finally, someone in Parliament (even if it is the SNP and Plaid Cymru) is tabling a motion for the immediate dissolution of Parliament.

Although it is unlikely to succeed because of Labour's current majority, but if enough MP's defy the Whips then we might be in for a chance at getting rid of Brown & Co! No more of Brown clinging on to the last possible moment, we could actually see an election much earlier than we, and him, had thought!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It's actually quite ominous that the last labour Government was brought down by an SNP "no confidence" motion in 1979... Could the past be repeating itself?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
No problem with a new election, same crooks with a little more transparency as compared to before..........just got to suffer the knock on the door and "excuse me Sir can we expect your vote in the coming election" a year earlier.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfie_UK

Whoever campaigns (and delivers) on wholesale political reform of Westminster will no doubt win. The Tories have formulated a policy already and my own Party of choice, the English Democrats, would like to see a devolved English parliament.

We could be on the verge of a major shift in politics if this election is called early. Labour will never see Downing Street again for starters and the smaller parties will pick up alot of seats.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
There won't be any election until they legally have to call one next year.

Brown will just try to pull the wool over peoples eyes with a cabinet reshuffle next week, saying how great he is to get rid of the bad apples and hope people will have short-term memories.

I find it amusing how so many MP's are resigning because of the expenses scandal, yet they will stay until the next election, so they can claim £64k salary + £100k for expenses to hire family members to lick stamps and answer phones + pensions thereafter.

It's all a joke and there is only a one party parliament; voting is just a process to make people believe they can make a change...yeah right, whatever.

Even Cameron mentioned a dissolution. That would change in a heartbeat if conservatives got into power as he just does sound-bites to appeal to current hysteria.

Edit: Bring back screaming Lord' Sutch

[edit on 2-6-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I hate the idea of a tory government. Most of the Shadow front bench are Etonians.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

My confidence in politics and politicians waned many years ago, for me whoever gets in would have dangled carrots in front of the voters to get elected and then only offer the string the carrot was attached to.

I class myself as working class and strangely always preferred the capitalism agenda of the Tories, but like I say that was a while back when I thought my vote could make a change, now I'm just totally numb to whatever any party has to say.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
With Hazel Blears resignation and an awkward PMQ's today, the clock is definately ticking for Gordon Brown and the Labour Government.

There is a very real possibility that we could be in the dying day's of his premiership.

[edit on 3/6/09 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
If the conservatives or liberals get into power we are all still doomed anyway,just a different type of doom.And we all know it will be the conservatives and that walking talking piece of pond life called David Cameron.. ugh.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I have just been reading on the English Democrats website, I'd actually not heard of them before but I like what I am reading.

What we need, and what I have been been saying for years, is that we need a government free from the current crop of career politicians and the ever present shadow government of the old boy network. Decisions that affect all of us are planned and put in motion by people we have never voted for, let alone heard of. The social experiment of multiculturalism and the breakdown of the sense of community by successive governments of both main parties has to come to an end. We need more transparency and, above all, accountability at all levels, and I don't mean quangos staffed by bought and paid for hacks in some jobs for the boys scheme. It needs proper independent accountability by publicly staffed bodies free from any political or corporate ties.
I know I ask a lot but at least we'd begin to have a say and anyone crossing the line would be out and held accountable.

This cynical reshuffle does nothing to punish those who have been found to be defrauding the public purse, and nothing short of criminal convictions will convince the public that any of them can ever be trusted. I find it sickening that those found to have been fraudulently claiming expenses are allowed to stay and claim a big payout in a years time. Talk about adding insult to injury.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by Britguy]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
...we need a government free from the current crop of career politicians and the ever present shadow government of the old boy network.

Found this interesting snippet in the comments section on Guardian's website:

David Miliband - Corpus Christi College, Oxford.
Jacqui Smith - Hertford College, Oxford.
Peter Mandelson - St Catherine's College, Oxford.
John Hutton - Magdalen College, Oxford.
Geoff Hoon - Jesus College, Cambridge.
Ed Balls - Keble College, Oxford.
Ed Miliband - Corpus Christi College, Oxford.
James Purnell - Balliol College, Oxford.
Shaun Woodward - Jesus College, Cambridge.
Andrew Burnham - Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge.
Yvette Cooper - Balliol College, Oxford.
Paul Murphy - Oriel College, Oxford.

So it will indeed be interesting to see a new crop of non-Oxbridge politicians; alas, i feel that will never happen. They have vested interests with the Cabal that run much deeper than the pseudo BS politics and it's one-party ideology.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
We learn from history that we do not learn from history.

About bloody time, though, really. I can't believe how easily Labour have dissolved this week...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I'm so angry that I want an election to kick them all out! But I don't want an election before the entire system has been changed.

They all knew the system stank, but didn't say a thing, absolute _______ - insert your own word there!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
There won't be an Election before next year Labour will not concede defeat. I think Gordie will be out within the next month

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
All that will happen is that coservative will get into power for 10 years, then labour again, etc etc.

I am voting english democrat, scotland, N irland and wales wants to be independat, let them be! England pays for they're free prescriptions and free tuition fee's, yet england has to pay for it all, and then they moan at england for it, realy doesnt make sence at all.

The problem is that if english democrat ever do get in power (which i cant see, most likley libral democrat or, god help us, UKIP) TPTB will just make it fail, so that everyone will just go back to the three main parties, and the circle will continue.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

Good man! Keep the faith, not all Politicians are thieving scum bags, many do try to represent their people. But we need a major overhaul of the system, which has remained largely unchanged in centuries. We need a clean break for the 21st century. If not, we might have more than mildly pissed of people voting BNP, but instead have major civil disobedience and the real risk of some nasty bugger getting hold of the reigns....

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The problem with this is, the tories have had their fair share of sleaze, as have the libs.
Calling for a snap election is all about drawing a line under the whole affair before people really start to question how this parliment works. Webcameron knows the awful torries are the next puppets of rothschild and his pals and he is just being a bit public school about it, " But mummy I want it Now" lol.
Seriously though, I think Cameron is feeling the preasure. In the last couple of weeks as he's giving soundbites, he reminds me of Rimmer from " Red Dwarf " nervous and spineless plus mumbly joe Gordon Brown beat him in PMQs today.
I think we may see him stand down midway though the first term thus giving us another unelected PM.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

they all work towards the same destination, just different routes to get there

2nd line

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

We need to do two things immediately:

1) Reduce the number of MP's

2) Refrom the House of Lords, including reducing the number, getting rid of hereditary peers and stopping the ridiculous expenses system which has somehow been overlooked.

Apart from that, we need to campaign for more independant MP's who will vote for what's good for constituents, rather than what's good for the party - and that means getting rid of the party whip system.

Until we break the stranglehold of party politics, the people will never have a true voice in parliament.

It's actually quite pitifull seeing Brown hanging on by his fingernails - but his lust for power, and self delusional nature are such that he will probably have to be dragged kicking and screaming from office.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join