It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(DOR) Everybody Does It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Everybody Does It

“Didn’t we just have a conversation about this yesterday? Whadayou mean, how’s it make me feel? How do you think it makes me feel?”

“Isn’t that why you come to me, to guide your awareness, explore your ideas?”

“Do you always have to answer a question with a question?”

“Do I always do that?”

“Okay, okay, I get your point, although I think you’re being a tad irritating. You want me to come up with the answer myself, yes?”

“Yes, that’s part of it. You know these answers better than I could provide for you. It’s my job to guide, not supplant your views with mine.”

“I don’t see what the big deal is. It’s not like it’s illegal or immoral or anything. Everybody does it.”

“That doesn’t make it right, simply believing that your behavior is consistent with others. I think you might be fudging the degree to which everyone does it, however. I don’t think it’s near as common as you believe. Consider that you might be justifying your behaviors by inferring a general societal acceptance. I think it’d be far more productive to examine the WHY of it, rather than the social acceptance, or lack of it.”

“No surprise you’d say that. I don’t know why I do it. I don’t know how it makes me feel. Why does it have to feel any way? It’s just fun. Simple as that. FEEL. What a bunch of ……. “

“Careful. While the terms of therapy are somewhat flexible, I remind you of your promise to replace derogatory or common curse words with proper language. “

“That’s another thing. Sometimes a curse word is the very BEST word for the situation. You’re telling me YOU never swear?”

“I don’t want our current line of thinking to be derailed by these peripheral issues. We are not talking about me, we’re talking about you. I am your friend, and it is my role to guide. “

“Just answer the question. Do you, or do you not sometimes curse?”

“*sigh* Yes, I sometimes use phrases or words of slang that are ‘curse words’.”

“See? So what’s that got to do with how I feel? I feel picked on, that’s how I feel. Like nothing I say is ever good enough for you.”

“Let’s go back to the bugs, and your penchant for destroying or mutilating them. The latter might be more indicative of your motives. You said that you have been doing this since……”

“WHAT’S THE BIG DEAL??? THEY’RE BUGS! WHO CARES?”

“Kee, please sit back down. ………………………………….. Now, tell me, what are you angry about?”

“IT’S JUST……. I don’t know. It’s just all these stupid rules. Oh, poor, poor bugs, how they must suffer. All this new age stuff is just too fuzzy and gentle. It’s for weaklings. You didn’t raise me to be a weakling, did you?”

“We raised you to have a regard for life, to use it however to never waste it. All creatures have a part of the ecosystem, even those you have disdain for. Maybe especially those you have disdain for.

I have a question, and I want you to think carefully before you answer: Do you feel a sense of superiority mutilating bugs?”

“Well…….. yes! I mean, I AM superior to them! What do they do that’s so special, besides being food for OTHER bugs and critters? It’s not like they have any organization or important thoughts……. I don’t even think they feel pain, they’re just insigificant specks of matter. They don’t make a difference. Why shouldn’t I have fun with them?”

“Let me ask you something else. If a being equally ‘superior’ to you as compared with the bugs to you were to snatch you up and kill you just for the fun of it, would that be appropriate? Maybe a giant insect creature, that just happened to enjoy like sucking the insides out of youngsters like you.”

“Well…… no, but the giant sucking creature would be able to plainly see that I have intelligence and skills and worth. This is stupid. It’s not like I’m a murderer or something. You act like…..”

“No. Not me. These are your actions. Surely an “intelligence” of your magnitude can appreciate the analogy. You see, Kee, all things have an awareness relative to other creatures. Had you eaten the bug, killing it would have at least had a purpose.”

“Wait. Let me get this straight. You want me to EAT bugs?”

“You’re being argumentative, and intentionally misconstruing my words. Here’s what I want you to do. As an exercise, I want you to observe the bugs the next two or three days. Take notes of their habitat, their travel patterns, their social organization, maybe even mating patterns. Don’t interfere with them, just observe and write me a report afterward. Ask your mother to give you a transport, …… and……. Kee?”

“What.”

“No more experiments, at least until you’ve satisfied the core elements of the program. They may be worthless bugs to you, but to the humans, they are domesticated animals that they raise for food and income, and they invest their time and exchange units toward that care. It’s an investment.

Also, it’s somewhat frightening to them to discover one of their bugs mutilated as you did .0175562 cycles ago.”

“*grumble*. Can I at least take the cruiser? I’ll be careful, I promise.”

“Ask your mother. Don’t forget what happened to your little friend Spyl. They still have his shell in a cryogenic storage. Spyl was easy to replace, of course, but that cruiser cost a fortune!”

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I liked it! LOL Now you got me sweating! Excellent story!

Reminds me of Heinlein.

[edit on 2-6-2009 by titorite]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Wow, very good story. I just wonder how they cannot know that our "Bugs" Are actually delicious...lol. That was pretty cool.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

Thank you titorite! Wow! Heinlen..... I can't imagine a better compliment. He's been one of my favorites for years.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Much appreciated Idyserenity
You picked up on a fragment of that story that I thought might be too subtle: "They" don't eat what we do. "They" would consider eating a "bug" as nasty.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I was really identifying with the spoiled brat at first! I thought the "therapist" was some kind of crazed bug rights activist! Very funny with a great suprise ending.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Now that's an interesting perspective that could really explain a lot.

I enjoyed the insight and even the suspense. I was expecting the questioner to end up being some sort of super bug at the end.

It was a great story, I hope you do well in the contest.

wupy

new topics

top topics

join