It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Invites Iranians to 4th of July Celebrations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Story Here

In a new overture to Iran, the Obama administration has authorized U.S. embassies around the world to invite Iranian officials to Independence Day parties they host on or around July 4th.

A State Department cable sent to all U.S. embassies and consulates late last week said that U.S. diplomats could ask their Iranian counterparts to attend the festivities, which generally feature speeches about American values, fireworks, hot dogs and hamburgers.

The notice, sent on Friday, said that the posts "may invite representatives from the government of Iran" to the events, a State Department official said Tuesday, quoting from the document. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss an internal communication.

This was also reported by the New York Times.

I don't know if having Iranian officials in US embassies to dine on hot dogs and to hear speeches about the birthday of the USA will do anything other than bring in a bunch of folks who want to drop listening devices in the embassy buildings while munching down on free food .... but it's okay.

If Obama thinks this will turn the tide with Iran, he's dead wrong.
Getting together for a group hug thing will just get ya' a knife in the back.

We'll see if this is seen as a sign of friendship, or if it's taken as a sign of
inexperience and weakness.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
They should make sure those hot dogs don't contain pork and that they don't attack Iran.

and this line makes two
!

[edit on 2-6-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

As always, FF, a slightly anti-anybody Islamic tone is present in your post. Iran does not want war with the US anymore than the US wants war with them. A friendly gesture like this could actually improve relations, instead of shunning them and backing them into a corner which is what Bush did. Whats the friggin problem?

After all, in 2001 the Iranians were among the first to offer condolences and assistance to the US in routing AQ and the Taliban, but they were scorned and later put on the "Axis of Evil" list to be demonised for the next several years.

Oh, and before you groan on about their "Nuclear weapons program" line, what the hell did Bush do about NK who actually do have a Nuke now and are testing delivery systems? Bugger all is the answer, so it's not valid in the Iranian discussion either.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I didn't see any reference to Islam. You could claim anti-Iranian if you wanted.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Perhaps hotdogs would be culturally permissible to serve to Iranian guests if the chefs at the respective embassies used "Hebrew National" kosher beef hotdogs...........

Well...on second thought, perhaps not!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Maybe they want them to drop listening devices so they can fake conversations like, "Oh man, those Iranians are the coolest. They get to do all kinds of things we can't." Thus maybe making Iran feel better about themselves to maybe try and talk with us ? haha, i dont how i think of this.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
do you think it will be like the movie independance day

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Been around for a few years and I know FF's stance on such things. But I suppose the benefit of the doubt can be extended and we'll just say "Anti-Iranian"...

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
As always, FF, a slightly anti-anybody Islamic tone is present in your post.

And where, exactly would that be? No where.

Originally posted by stumason
Been around for a few years and I know FF's stance on such things

Obviously you don't.

Anti Iranian

Not even close. Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I don't think Obama takes this sort of decisions by himself. As the chief executive of the US, he approves them. He gives directions, he can occasionnally push for some legislations and sometimes he wants some events to take place like this particular one. But the article says the US administration blah blah... So nothing tells me this was an Obama's suggestion.
He is smothered by councelors and his entourage is as experienced as one would expect. As in any democratic look alike governement, the chief executive is not all powerful, omnipotent and taking every bit of decisions.

So no, it is no sign of friendship nor of inexperience and weakness. It is a certainly well considered move initiated by the american diplomacy. The question is : is this move benevolent or deceptive ?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Manouche

This is a "change" from 30 years of US foreign policy. This definitely comes from the head honcho. The US and Iran have not had any diplomatic ties since they invaded our embassy in the 1970's and held US diplomats hostage after their "revolution."

They continue to call the US the "Great Satan" and chant "death to America" during their ralies. This is after Obama has repeatedly extended a olive branch to them.

I'm sorry my friend, this isn't like flying Airforce One around Manhattan for a photo op, this is a major decision related to foreign policy that comes directly from the President.

I personally believe this olive branch approach will end up yeilding nothing but a nuclear armed Iran. Thats just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

I understand your point of view finemanm but I respectfully disagree.
I think the general consensus in the elite is the US foreign policy tougher stance pushed by the former administration is no more sustainable. A major rethink of the means to achieve US policy goals is occuring. Obama may be the forefront man but he has support, he is not a lone man. Whether you think he is a puppet or a true leader, he does not think and make policies on his own.
On the issue of inviting iranians officials, it is not of primary importance other than showing publicly new manners towards a antagonistic interlocutor and it does not prefigure any improvement of the Iran/US relationships. But there is a purpose and I have no doubt pros and cons were well discussed in the diplomatic spheres... with no Obama attending.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snisha
reply to post by star in a jar

Perhaps hotdogs would be culturally permissible to serve to Iranian guests if the chefs at the respective embassies used "Hebrew National" kosher beef hotdogs...........

Well...on second thought, perhaps not!

Yeah! but I guess the Iranians would have loved to eat some of Otha Turner's BBQ Goat!

Seriously! they like BBQ Goat! - don't serve them any "slap you mama moonshine" though!

[edit on 2-6-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

You can duck and dive as much as you like FF, but if you really want me too I can go trawling for the many anti-Iranian/Muslim rants you've had on here over the past few years.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
haha i'm sure that its been Irans life long dream to be invited to a 4th July party.

Alien Mind

new topics

top topics

join