It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama - 'Irans energy concerns are legitimate'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Obama - "irans energy concerns are legitimate'
in other words - Obama - 'they can have nuclear power'.

Washington Post

President Barack Obama suggested that Iran may have some right to nuclear energy _ provided it proves by the end of the year that its aspirations are peaceful.

In a BBC interview broadcast Tuesday, he also restated plans to pursue direct diplomacy with Tehran to encourage it set aside any ambitions for nuclear weapons it might harbor.

Iran has insisted its nuclear program is aimed at generating electricity. But the U.S. and other Western governments accuse Tehran of seeking atomic weapons.

If anyone believes that Iran wants nuclear power simply for the nuclear power .. they are a nitwit. Yes .. oil nations should be able to go after nuclear power. Absolutely. But considering the rhetoric coming from Iran ... I have no doubt that nuclear power is just a happy byproduct of what they are really after ... nuclear weapons.

Incidently - DRUDGE REPORT headlines read - Obama: Iran has right to nuclear power.

edited for immediate spelling fix

[edit on 6/2/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Iran does have trouble generating power for it's population.

Obama wants to offer nuclear reactors which can't be harnessed for nuclear weapons in substitution for reactors which currently are being used to harvest Plutonium.

To harvest Plutonium for nuclear weapons you need a heavy water reactor using highly enriched uranium.

Obama proposes providing reactors using unenriched uranium. These produced waste fuel rods that are too contaminated with undesirable radio nuclides and too low in Plutonium to be any use.

Come on get with the program and pay attention here.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
Come on get with the program and pay attention here.

Who? Me? Obama? Drudge? Iran? Washington Post?
Sorry, but I'm not sure who you were speaking to with this.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
What right does america have on this, we all know that iran as a country has the right to do what it wants in terms of tech.

Pakistan has had nukes for how long, and they have not used them yet, only america has used the nukes.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

America probably has no right. But then again, Iran does not have the technology without help. I just hope Obama does not decide to help them with any type of reactor.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Sorry, but I'm not sure who you were speaking to with this

Sorry darling, I thought we were all alone here on this thread... Yes of course you. You need to catch up with the facts and understand what Obama is really trying to do. Inflamatory comments just create confusion and misinformation.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

What right does america have on this, we all know that iran as a country has the right to do what it wants in terms of tech.

Iran does not have a right to create nuclear weapons and threaten all it's neighbours in the Gulf with nuclear anihilation.

You have a conveniently elastic set of ethics if you can accommodate a nuclear weapons program under the guise of a power production system.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sy.gunson

I do not understand the necessity of Obama, the USA, or ANY other country, "providing" for the Iranians ability to generate nuclear power for the Iranians
in any way shape or form. It is the business of no one else.
Leave 'em be to fend for themselves. I am sure they do not need any help that Obama has to offer.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure who you were referring to.

Originally posted by sy.gunson
You need to catch up with the facts and understand what Obama is really trying to do.

um ... did you see where I said that oil countries DO need to have nuclear power? Absolutely. It's just that those in charge of Iran can't be trusted.

Do you have info - links and such - that shows that Obama wants to give them a certain allegedly 'safe' technology over other kinds? If so .. please post here.

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
... um sorry to burst everyone's bubble but iran has already had nukes for a while. if they wanted to use it they would have already. the nuclear plants they have now are for nuclear power. they're not dumb enough to just hand out info regarding their nuclear technology to americans. it is very naive to think that america knows everything that everyone is doing. stop worrying about iran, they'll keep their problems on their side of the world. only ignorance on america's part will bring the problems on this end.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sy.gunson

Iran does not have a right to create nuclear weapons and threaten all it's neighbours in the Gulf with nuclear anihilation.

Just curious! When did Iran threaten to annihilate its neighbors with nuclear weapons?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by A Conscience

Oh, no.....You know where this is going to lead, don't you? Get ready for the mis-interpreted "wipe Isreal off the map" lame excuse. Talk about lost in translation.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Abbby

Oh, no.....You know where this is going to lead, don't you? Get ready for the mis-interpreted "wipe Isreal off the map" lame excuse. Talk about lost in translation.

Please enlighten me on this lame excuse.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dannyfal
... um sorry to burst everyone's bubble but iran has already had nukes for a while.

Can you provide a link to an article suggesting that they have even the materials to produce a nuclear weapon. I've only heard the rhetoric suggesting that they MAY be able to produce such a weapon in the future, if they continue enriching as they have in the past. But, it would take a long time. Those spewing the rhetoric suggest that it could happen quickly, but have yet to produce any evidence that suggest it's possible for them to do so.

only ignorance on america's part will bring the problems on this end.

I'm not sure you know what "ignorance" mean. Ignorance isn't a word to suggest someone is uneducated or stupid. It is the state of ignoring something. So, if American were to come into a state of "ignorance" with Iran, then we'd be leaving them alone.

You may want to restate your point now that you know the proper use of the term.

Ignoring them is not the answer. We need to help them find a solution to their problems without creating even more problems in the region. Aiding them with an legitimate energy source is just the beginning. It's time we laid down this "holier than thou" power trip that American has been on for the last decade or so. We need to become friends and allies with all countries throughout the world.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by tyranny22

Ignoring them is not the answer. We need to help them find a solution to their problems without creating even more problems in the region. Aiding them with an legitimate energy source is just the beginning. It's time we laid down this "holier than thou" power trip that American has been on for the last decade or so. We need to become friends and allies with all countries throughout the world.

I'll second that!

I'm glad Obama has decided to remove the blinkers off America's foreign policies. As with Cuba, hopefully we will see an era of better harmony and cooperation instead of war mongering and sabre rattling.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22

... um sorry to burst everyone's bubble but iran has already had nukes for a while.

Can you provide a link to an article suggesting that they have even the materials to produce a nuclear weapon. I've only heard the rhetoric suggesting that they MAY be able to produce such a weapon in the future, if they continue enriching as they have in the past. But, it would take a long time. Those spewing the rhetoric suggest that it could happen quickly, but have yet to produce any evidence that suggest it's possible for them to do so.

only ignorance on america's part will bring the problems on this end.

I'm not sure you know what "ignorance" mean. Ignorance isn't a word to suggest someone is uneducated or stupid. It is the state of ignoring something. So, if American were to come into a state of "ignorance" with Iran, then we'd be leaving them alone.

You may want to restate your point now that you know the proper use of the term.

lol... i will be respectful when i say this. but you clearly don't know what ignorance means. you actually had me laughing out loud. if anyone agrees with your definition of ignorance, i would like to ask them to step up and admit it. ignorance is defined as "the lack of knowledge or education ". which is ironically what you have shown to be... ignorant of the word ignorant. where did not i say that anyone was uneducated or stupid? i don't think you read my post at all.

like i said, iran already has nukes. i've been there many times, they think america is a joke (because we are). why do you think they sit around and act like they don't give a SNIP... because we act like idiots and try to tell them to not create nukes when they've had them. for a while. of course i don't have a source its not on the internet or some SNIP, and i HOPE no one believes me because i don't need any government people on my ass. there is no need to believe me.

and i agree with you when you say

It's time we laid down this "holier than thou" power trip that American has been on for the last decade or so. We need to become friends and allies with all countries throughout the world.

i never said anything about "ignoring" iran... but i would say that its probably best if america keeps its nose out of other people's business when they clearly don't know what is going on in the world.

Mod Edit - Please don't use profanity or evade the censors.

[edit on 6/2/2009 by yeahright]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Why does America care so much about Iran possibly having Nukes and threatens (either themselves or through their Proxy, Israel) military action, but when NK openly develops nukes and the delivery systems needed to use them, all the while actually rattling the sabre and threatening War, which the Iranians DO NOT do, the Americans have sat on their behinds and done bugger all?

Seems somewhat disjointed at the least....

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
just search "iran already has the bomb" in google and see what comes up.
other countries already know about it. has anyone ever watched the news from another country (not BBC either). america is viewed so differently then how our media trys to portray it. we are the laughing stock of the world (since the bush years). i said it before i'll say it again... it is very naive to think that america knows everything about other countries.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well, everyone knows how warlike the persians are, and that they cannot be trusted with weapons. After all, look at how many people they have invaded or attacked in the last 300 years. Oh, yeah, ....NONE!
The only country in the middle east constantly threatening others is Israel, and in fact they regularly not just threaten, but state that they WILL commit airstrikes on iranian installations and nuclear facilities, and even threaten iran with nuclear first strike. So tell me again how Iran is an aggressor.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dannyfal

Ignorance

Ignorance is the state in which a person lacks knowledge, is unaware of something or chooses to subjectively ignoreinformation.

You said it here:

stop worrying about iran, they'll keep their problems on their side of the world. only ignorance on america's part will bring the problems on this end.

I guess it's my fault for misinterpreting your words. It seemed to me that your were inferring that getting involved with Iran would be "stupid" or "dumb" on America's part. And that America should stay in it's region and not get involved in Iran's region. Then you turn around in the next sentence and say that by leaving Iran alone, or "ignoring" Iran, it will bring problems to America.

Perhaps, then, you can tell us how America's ignorance will bring problems on this end?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join