It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Inviting Iranian Diplomats to July 4 Parties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

This idea will fly like the proverbial lead balloon. Is this the best piece of diplomacy that Obama's administration can come up with? Perhaps Iran will supply the fireworks.

In a new overture to Iran, the Obama administration has authorized U.S. embassies around the world to invite Iranian officials to Independence Day parties they host on or around July 4th.

A State Department cable sent to all U.S. embassies and consulates late last week said that U.S. diplomats could ask their Iranian counterparts to attend the festivities, which generally feature speeches about American values, fireworks, and, of course, hot dogs and hamburgers.

www.cnsnews.com...

Do they really think that the Iranians give a rats %#@ about our Independence Day celebrations?

I wonder if they will serve Kobe beef hamburgers. Those hot dogs had better be pork free.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
You have to start somewhere and this is better than nothing. Do they care about July 4th? Who knows but, face to face meeting which clearly were missing the last 8 years cannot hurt.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

There are 365 days in a year. I agree that meeting with Iran is probably a wise course of action -

Keep your friends close and your ENEMIES CLOSER.

But - the fourth of July?? Give me a break. How quickly can this president of ours possibly destroy everything that means anything to this country?

Oh yeah....130 days and counting!!!! ..........

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I understand your point but I think this is more of a sign of desperation from Obama. Obama has been trying to engage Iran since his first day in office. Iran has downplayed every overture to date including the recent missile test fire that occurred only days after Obama announced that it would give Iran until the end of the year to negotiate their nuclear stance.

Offering the Iranians a Hot Dog and a hamburger is just another weak attempt by a Carteresque weak president. The Iranian govt. will surely make light of this and throw it back in his face.

Now, the Iranian citizens would probably love to share in a good party. However, I don't expect much from the Mullah and the PTB .

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Pretty common for US embassies around the world to invite Embassy Staff from other nations to parties and yes even 4th of July parties. Maybe they havent invited the Iranian Embassy Staff since 1979. That was 30 years ago its done its over and it does no good to base decisions on that incident.

As a side note in 1976 while living in Iran myself and quite a few Iranian boys who were my age had quite a time celebrating the bicentennial.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

Sadly, Iran changed forever after the ousting of the Shaw. Unfortunately, the citizens have suffered the most under the iron fist of the Govt. Generations have been lost forever since then.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I agree but trying to "Open Up" Iran is our best interest and the best interests of the average Iranian. The Truth is that Iran and the US already cooperate at low levels in the War on Terror and have since 2001 dispite all the bluster and sabre rattling from both sides.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

No far from a sign of desperation jibeho... It's a very clever strategy.

Do they really think that the Iranians give a rats %#@ about our Independence Day celebrations?

It causes Ahmedinejad a real dilemma. How does he maintain his tough stance and hatred to a country that is courteous and civil ?

Ahmedinejad will be really stumped how to respond. Either Obama has a team of psychologists on the payroll or he's one helluva genius.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, the mullah that are in control of Iran have a different agenda than the U.S. and the citizens of Iran. It has been that way since 1979. It has to start with the citizens and a major upheaval of the present govt.

Not an easy task. You can only reason with those who are actually open to the notion of a reasonable and rational dialogue.

top topics

join