It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Update Quietly Installs Firefox Extension

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I'm what you might call a Windows OS expert, I've intimately used every version from 3.x-through-Windows 7

I can confirm that this is the correct way to remove the add-on in windows XP 32-bit; however, I have not tested this method on XP-64 or vista, but, it is safe to say it will work..

The instructions in your post simply are steps to manually remove the registry entries for the add-on.
This would be comparable to what happens when you remove a program from the "Add/Remove Programs" menu, but normally this operation is automated.

No one should get any serious paranoia in regards to this, it does not open any back-doors like a Trojan, or Viruii do, it hasn't been exploited yet, to my knowledge.

However, I removed it immediately myself.

Note:
This add-on would not, and will not have any type bearing or effect on your machines "speed".

Originally posted by Majorion
This is precisely why I DO NOT download any Microsoft updates. This is exactly why I quit doing so for years and have asked others to ignore Microsoft as well.

They basically tell you that these are just standard security updates and bug-fixes, etc. But the truth is that its malicious, takes too much space, and although I have no proof, but I wouldnt put it past MS throwing in spyware in the mix every now and then.

[edit on 5/6/09 by Majorion]

Majorion, I have heard this argument before, but, by not updating your windows OS, you are in a sense opening the door for much bigger problems & are much more open to a, "security breach"
Buffer overflow exploits are the worst and can allow a "Remote" user to execute malicious code on your computer as if it were you sitting in front of it..

The best way to lessen your security risk with Windows is to turn off unused services (from administrative tools menu > services) There are guides that you can google. This method will also free up system memory & CPU Cycles and will in most cases boost your PC's performance.
Also an up-to-date firewall program of course helps, preferably one that can intercept "invisible", or "Ghost" Connections.
I would suggest (as a free prog) Comodo Firewall.

Any Specific questions - feel free to u2u or reply here & I'll help the best I can

-CosmicClearance

[Edit to add content]

[edit on 7-6-2009 by CosmicClearance]

[edit on 7-6-2009 by CosmicClearance]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Well I checked my add on's list sure enough I had version v1.0., note I said had
I followed the removal instructions and now it is gone. and everything is tickety booh

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I agree with CosmicClearance on a couple of points.

1. While this extension isn't malicious, though it does expose FF to possible security issues relating to the .NET framework which is tied to the Windows OS. The major reason I moved away from IE is due to the browser integration of the OS which has led to many security issues.

2. Security updates are important. An un-patched OS has many known exploits that hackers use, like the buffer overflow exploit.

To some degree I agree with Majorion about p2p and torrents. Although not all torrents are bad, just keep away from wares cracks and other unknown apps. However running no security apps on an un-patched windows is asking for trouble, imo.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The problem I have with anti-virus software is that it usually takes up a lot of space, which I can deal with, but after having the unpleasant experience of software completely taking control of my OS, operating of programs, and internet surfing - its just become dull and overly unnecessary imo. As a matter of fact, and like I said earlier, I have never once experienced any problems at all since I took all the anti-virus rubbish off my systems as well as calling it quits with Microsoft updates. I actually used to experience problems almost daily when I did so otherwise years ago.

As for 'attacks' and the sort - I believe that hackers look for a challenge, and are not so interested in someone's computer being "open" per se (especially when there is nothing interesting). And as for preventing malicious script - I use the NoScript addon for Firefox. Viruses/worms/trojans come only through questionable and untrusted sources, like p2p and torrent programs - which I avoid.

Though; ZoneAlarm was my preferred choice way back when, Id be interested in any good recommendations that dont interfere much with programs and regular surfing.

Regards,

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

Majorion,

To be frank, You're wrong, most incidents of hacking/system infiltrations (not virus infection) are done automatically, by a program written by, or being used by a hacker. A common situation is to have a hidden system (often based in China) that consistently scans IP addresses using a tactic that is call "Port scanning", a Windows based computer has aprox 65,000 ports (or in layman's terms - tubes for data transfer) when a windows based computer is "Port Scanned" the attacking computer is checking to see if ports are open or closed. A firewall closes these ports and attempts to stealth them from the internet at large..

An open port means... Your computer has a revolving door with no lock and can be easily infiltrated.. In most cases this will happen quietly and the victim will have no knowledge of what is happening.

Now.. When you have open ports & O/S vulnerabilities.. Well, you can pretty much see what that can lead to via common sense.

Many routers have a simple firewall that blocks computer ports from being detected as open, but in most cases router firewalls offer more of a gesture, rather than a real protection scheme.

There are tens and thousands of computers scanning NOW, all day, all night, every day, every port.. Many times a computer that is open to attack isn't even hacked that very minute, it goes on a "to do" list.

One (simplified) example of use for a hacked system is to use it as a "Slave" computer, for D-DOS attacks. an example of this use would be this:
having 10,000 computers attacking a certain website in order to blackmail it's owner..

I understand that most anti-virus programs such as Norton, Mcaffee, are serious system resource hogs, and can make a PC run like crap. But there are many other AV programs that leave a small memory imprint & work VERY effectively. The best of which is -

Eset NOD32

It is the A/V program that bill Gates uses & all corporate M$ computers are furnished with.. May I suggest that you download a trial version, and at the very least do a full system scan.

This is a topic that is difficult to go into detail on within a post here, but my main point is that. there are many people that want to use your computer for their own malicious purposes, by not being protected, you are in a sense going to a firefight with a baseball..
If you're not taking steps to secure your computer.. You are contributing to the problem.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join