It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selling Used Video Games Now Requires Essentially Getting Booked

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Then the clerks were not doing their job correctly. Whenever you start a trade-in transaction the computer brings up a screen that makes you enter ID information. You cannot complete the transaction without filling it out.

It is supposedly to help counter people who trade in stolen items.

And you can get cash or store credit for a trade in. You get more if it is store credit, but cash is also an option. Unless it it a state law there that you cannot get cash for the trade in, the clerks are pulling one over on you just to up their numbers.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

In that Pic that the link takes you to has a young boy giving his prints. I wounder if the law is being misapplied or was that just for show?

Thanks for the info.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Ohhh boy. I sense a poo storm brewing for one unlucky Sheriff. Game stores almost certainly lost business because of the fingerprinting (I know I'd go to the next town over to avoid having my privacy invaded.) I wonder if the store owners will pursue legal action? Or maybe customers who've traded in games? Couldn't this be considered an illegal search on the Sheriff's part?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
That's for the reporter that wrote this article...

blogs.browardpalmbeach.com...

I called him to inform him what the Florida statutes division department told me about the statute being applied wrong, i figured he may want to research it a little more and update his story. He was very disinterested in what i had to say and seemed belligerent. He said that the department of statute revisions had no idea what they were talking about that the law does pertain to customers, and that i was barking up the wrong tree
Why bother to write the story if he's not going to follow through all the way and make sure that he is presenting the correct facts !

So after i spoke to him i called the department of Revenue as i was told and the gentlemen there told me the same thing as the gentleman in the revisions department. He said the law only applies to the business owners, that they need to be fingerprinted to receive their business licences. He also gave me the email address to another person that asked that i send her the article and information that i am referring to so that she may investigate it.

Now i've spoken to two government workers that have both stated that the law does not apply to customers, and i would assume that the department of revenue knows what they're talking about since it's under their jurisdiction.

I'm going to make one more phone call, email this lady the information and then i'm done. I hope someone can put an end to what this sheriff's department is doing.

The link to the directions and applications of the statute....

www.leg.state.fl.us.../Sec03.HTM

To the reporter

[edit on 6/2/2009 by chise61]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eight
reply to post by chise61

In that Pic that the link takes you to has a young boy giving his prints. I wounder if the law is being misapplied or was that just for show?

Thanks for the info.

Obviously that pic was just for show as that is not a gamestop or anyother video game store and the person doing the finger printing worked for the sheriff department.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I emailed the information to the woman at the department of revenue, so now we just have to wait and see if she answers me and if they do anything to fix this.

If anyone knows how i can post an email can you U2u me the directions and i will be glad to post any replies that i recieve regarding this matter.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Just copy and paste it, although I guess ATS would prefer you leave any personally identifiable information out of it. I didn't see any harm in posting a public, government agency phone number that we can just link to anyway, but ATS has its own reasons for that, I will respect those from now on. (Sorry mods/admins, even though I must comment that during Katrina if I remember right we made a thread that had charitable donation organizations contact information on there with no trouble. But no biggie, and no prob.
)

In any event, since I was gone it appears you posted some kind of thread requesting applause for me? lol, thanks man, yes they obliged, just so ya know (but gotta admit I wouldn't have minded seeing the thread- but they trashed it before I could see it. In the future they would probably prefer you use the submit comp/sugg form in your member center for those.)

All in all, again I want to thank you profusely for helping out here, taking the bull by the horns, and making the calls/emails. Maybe you and I should apply for the new ATS press corps and go around verifying everything to the core!

But I will slump back into a reserved mood on this for now, and not get overly excited, as it is possible we, or they, could have missed something and it turn out that the sheriff's dept was indeed following the law.

But right now it is looking like we are onto either an honest mistake, or another sinister move by the NWO to illegally track citizen's habits in an attempt to accumulate evidence for future terrorist classifications of these kids or parents playing violent video games- intentionally twisting obscure legislation in hopes that no one would notice. With the ability to admit it was just a mistake if anyone busted them doing it.

It will be quite interesting to see how this turns out, that's for sure!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thanks, *****.
I will do some research and get back with you when I have the information you have requested.

Florida Department of Revenue
Chief of Public Information
501 S. Calhoun
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0100
*** *** **** office
*** *** ****cell
*******@dor.state.fl.us

This is the email response to mine from yesterday. Have to go, will post any other replies as i receive them.

I didn't start a thread, must have been someone else.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I can back this up as I went to pick something up and trade in a few old games at the Gamestop on University and Sterling road in Hollywood FL yesterday. I was handed a very large form and asked to give drivers license. On the top of the form it did say something about pawning merchandise form. I had never seen anything like this before and neither did anyone else as a lady to my right was going off on the clerk saying that this was an invasion of privacy and that gamestop was nothing more than a pawnshop now.

I did have to give a fingerprint

Thought it was very strange and then today I see it here!!!

Big Brother is closing in

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I called Gamestop corporate headquarters asking about this and the lady that i spoke to said that the Gamestops out there are considered pawnshops

I'm really confused now and asked for the name and number of the district manager. I wasn't able to reach him today, but will try again Friday when i have time. Post all the info as i receive it.

<< 1   >>

join