It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selling Used Video Games Now Requires Essentially Getting Booked

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Selling Used Video Games Now Requires Essentially Getting Booked

blogs.browardpalmbeach.com

Broward County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Kayla Concepcion said the new requirement comes straight from the Florida Legislature, which enacted a law on October 1 of last year that treated video games like second-hand goods sold at pawn shops. Now any store buying used video games has to collect the thumb prints, along with a bunch of other personal info about the seller.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
rawstory.com
www.infowars.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Fingerprints now required to sell used video games in Florida

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Hmm, well Houston, we might have a problem here. You see, I spotted this story on Rawstory, here at ATS, at infowars, at the source link, and several other places.

But it appears that no one has bothered to check these supposed "recent changes" to Florida laws that require this fingerprinting. Because after searching several state websites, I cannot come up with the PASSED legislation that requires this!

In other words, is the Broward County Sheriff's Office in step with actual law here? Or are they doing this of their own accord?

I found relative legislation, but it appears to have died in the state judiciary committee in 2006.

www.flsenate.gov...

So I issue a challenge to the persistent ATS news hound:

Find us anywhere where you can show that this law was actually passed, and I will submit a request for applause and a points reward to staff!

All these stories mention that the sheriff office gave the video stores a visit demanding them to start fingerprinting anyone selling the store a used video game, but what I want to see is the actual PASSED legislative directive to do so!

Because what we may have here is another case of illegal documenting of children fingerprints, tracking which of them are playing violent video games, for further monitoring and subsequent classification of them as potential terrorists.

Are we going to be the best at ATS? Then let's dig deeper!

blogs.browardpalmbeach.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on Tue Jun 2nd 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
If this turns out to be true, it would seriously inhibit the lucrative market that is second hand game sales. How about fingerprinting people that trade in used music CD's as well? Where exactly would it stop?

Would trading in an old 'Body Count' or 'NWA' CD put you on a terrorist list or leave you more prone to mace and taser treatment in the event of an arrest?

It's a big ask on retailers to take on what is essentially police work. This is a boat that simply won't float. Especially in a time when you want money to move and change hands.

Big Thumbs Down!

IRM

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Oh, this is true, and no joke. They are doing it. They went around to all the video game stores and told them they had to have a form and take a fingerprint. The primary reason of course, was to have an additional recourse against kids stealing video games and selling them to used video game retailers.

And since kids don't generally have driver's licenses, I guess they figured that fingerprinting the seller was the next best thing.

But I hope you read my comments. I am on another tangent with this at the moment.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I think taking fingerprints for selling a used game is going a little to far, not like they even offer a whole lot of cash for them... but anyway...

I really hate looking at laws, I find it hard to understand them a lot of the time, so I could be totally wrong... but Is this what your looking for? Its from 2006 and to me it seems like it passed, but Again, I have a hard time understanding legislation, so please forgive if I'm totally wrong

(Link)

Secondhand Dealers
06/13/2006 Signed by Officers and presented to Governor; Approved by Governor; Chapter No. 2006-201

Secondhand Dealers; exempts persons or entities offering secondhand goods or personal property for sale, purchase, consignment, or trade via Internet from provisions of Secondhand Dealers & Secondary Metals Recyclers under certain circumstances; exempts certain businesses that sell, rent, or trade motion picture videos or video games from such provisions; revises provisions re holding of goods upon probable cause that goods are stolen, etc. Amends FS. EFFECTIVE DATE: 10/01/2006.

12 (p) A business whose primary business is the sale,
13 rental, or trade of motion picture videos or video games, if
14 the business:
15 1. Requires the sellers of secondhand goods to have a
16 current account with the business;
17 2. Has on file in a readily accessible format the
18 name, current residential address, home and work telephone
19 numbers, government-issued identification number, place of
20 employment, date of birth, gender, and right thumbprint of
21 each seller of secondhand goods;

18 (c) A description of the person from whom the goods
19 were acquired, including:
20 1. Full name, current residential address, workplace,
21 and home and work phone numbers.
22 2. Height, weight, date of birth, race, gender, hair
23 color, eye color, and any other identifying marks.
24 3. The right thumbprint, free of smudges and smears,
25 of the person from whom the goods were acquired.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mitskye

The link that you provided doesn't go to what you are quoting from, it goes to the senate homepage or something similar that shows info about a bill for elevator safety. Can you post a link that goes directly to the bill or law that you are quoting ?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Ok so I didn't believe this story so I did a little investigating. It took me 2 minutes to find proof that this story is the real deal.

I called a GameStop at 1935 Cordova Rd, Fort Lauderdale. They now fall under pawn shop laws and are now required to fingerprint and take DL information, just like pawn shops.

If you buy games you are not required to do so. I don't know if this law is for recieving cash only or if it includes exchanging for store credit. I didn't think to ask that.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
oh, oops....

This should be the Right Link

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Mitskye

Well great job, except this part appears to me to be exempting video games from this statute:

exempts certain businesses that sell, rent, or trade motion picture videos or video games from such provisions;

Can anyone shed any more light on this? Or are my OP comments justified?

But yeah, it appears that this is indeed the legislation, so for that thanks! Hehe, but we still need to figure out still if this is the legislation that passed that requires kids to have their fingerprints taken if they want to sell their video games to a dealer! We're almost there...

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Ok here's what i found out....

I called the Florida governor's office and asked them if such a law existed, and they switched me to the department of statute revisions.

The very nice gentleman in that office looked it up for me and said that the law applies to the dealer (business) not the customer, it is the dealer that must be fingerprinted and have their information on file.

He gave me the webpage that details who the law applies to.

(a) "Secondhand dealer" means any person, corporation, or other business organization or entity which is not a secondary metals recycler subject to part II and which is engaged in the business of purchasing, consigning, or trading secondhand goods.

Here is a link to the definitions and applicability of the statue....

www.leg.state.fl.us.../Sec03.HTM

I asked him if there was anyone that should be notified that this sheriff's office was fingerprinting the customers that are trading in used games and he gave me the number to the dept. of revenue and said that they should be notified as it falls under their jurisdiction (spelling ?) .

So according to the Florida department of statue revision, No there is no such law on the books .

[edit on 6/2/2009 by chise61]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Holy crap!

Then I was right!

The sheriff's office is doing this of their own accord! Wowza.

Submitting request for applause for you man, way to go! Teamwork, baby!

ATS rules!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Well the obvious thing to do would be not to use these shops... If the trade falls off then they will have to look at the situation.

And you can always sell your games privately via classifieds or ebay something like that.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Well either of their own accord, or they are truely ignorant of the application of this particular law.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Possibly, but either way, do you realize what we just did here? We just beat rawstory and infowars at their own game, as well as many others! This is awesome!

So now we are free to speculate as to how evil the broward county sheriff's department is!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Selling "used" items to shops is always a little shady. Any shop that just accepts things from off the street is acting as a fence of sorts for thieves.

Just as gun buy-back programs encourage break-ins and theft of property being able to dump off DVD's, CD's and games at any corner shop is fast cash for any junkie willing to smash a car window.

It's a definite problem but I don't think this fingerprinting nonsense is the answer.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Chise61, I doubt very seriously that the LEO's are ignorant in this case of their interpretation of the statute...I do however believe that they (LEO's) are banking on the public's ignorance of it to assist them in their info gathering exercise.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I worked at a EBGames/Gamestop for several years and I can tell you that within that company, you have to have an ID (drivers license or similar) to trade in games. The computer system makes you take the person's information. Very rarely did a child come in wanting to trade a game. If one did, you had to ask for a parent's ID.

While there is something weird going on with this fingerprinting, I don't think it is directed at obtaining children's fingerprints. Plus, I can almost bet that the corporate office is going to have a fit if this cuts into their numbers. Used games are their real business...

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I'll tell ya what, these pawn shops and retailers are going to be awful glad to hear that the sheriff's dept. made a "mistake."

But I have to go to work right now, so someone else can make the call. And that number is public information! >SNIP< Florida revenue department. Someone call and put a stop to this nonsense! Who wants to be the bearer of bad news???!!!

I fricken love it! We busted em. I be on laterz...

[Mod edit - please don't post phone numbers in a thread]

[edit on 6/2/2009 by yeahright]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by glitch88

I've traded in games at gamestop here in Chicago and never had to show an ID, it's not like you get cash for them, just trade in value. Just took my grandson last month and he traded in games without showing anyone's ID.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
In England most major games stores have to take a name and address, have done for as long as I can remember, this is because so many sold are from robberies.
However whenever I sold games I gave a fake name and address and would certainly have refused fingerprinting if asked (as far as I know no shops do that).
Sell them on ebay or at private game shops that dont ask.
Game stores will lose business and have to appeal using that technique.
Simple.

You get a couple of quid for a game you paid £40 for anyway at game shops, ebay or advertise in a paper.
Never submit to something that treats you like a criminal for a couple of measly bucks.

[edit on 2-6-2009 by keepithush]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join