It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple needs to produce the iCar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
This could help the auto industry. People will stand in line to buy an iCar. They could produce a gadget filled Green Car and it would sell very well.

I think the GM takeover by the government is bad in a global economy with cheap labor. The Government wants to force people to buy green cars while producing cars nobody wants.

This is just a deal to help out the unions. Obama thinks it's about jobs but it's about consumption. A President shouldn't be firing General Managers and cutting advertising budgets. It's just not good.

If they want to sell green cars they need an internet based company like Apple, Google or Microsoft to produce it. If you combine the internet with a car and new technology it could work very well.

The Twitter 5000. A car that sends you Twitters about the weather for today, a lunch special at your favorite restaraunt or if something is getting low like windshield wiper fluid or oil. You could even add a voice to the Twitters if you want to.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Mate, that's actually a pretty good idea.
I rekon you should try and get that idea out there somehow, get that idea to the CEO of some of those companies.
And I also rekon that you can trust those companies to go as 'green' as possible. Even if it was an electric car, it would sell. As long as it's some internet-based company (like you say) and it's full of gadgets and interweb incorporated and stuff like that, it would sell, big-time!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by NathanNewZealand

Exactly,

Where Obama is going wrong, he's trying to strong arm people into green technology vehicles that they don't want. He will do it through cap & trade and he talks about the greater good.

The greater good doesn't drive the free market, self interest does.

If you tie green technology to people's self interest (the internet) you would sell a bunch of green cars.

You could have the Ford Focus: You Tube Edition or a Cadillac: The Twitter Edition and incorporate the technologies from these internet sites into the vehicle. A internet company can actually produce a vehicle like the iCar. I can say I would be interested in buying an iCar and I hjave no idea what one will look like.

The greater good is liberal wishful thinking, you have to tie it to people's self interest.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Why? I don't want to buy a Prius, Insight, Hyundai, Kia, or recyclable car just because it is. I don't need an iPod, iPhone, iMac or any other overpriced Apple toy. I don't even like iTunes over Windows Media player.

I like my truck, my sports cars, and muscle cars. I like Linux, Windows XP (never thought I'd say I like Windows), HP-UX, etc.

I'm offended and ticked off that the current administration is trying to economic-social engineer me, my life, and my country.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Let's see...considering everything Apple has made in the past, especially the iPod and iPhone, if Apple made an iCar it would be as thus:

1.) 3 times more expensive than any other car.
2.) Only comes in unremarkable white.
3.) It's statistics such as Horsepower, MPG, Performance, and Crash-Test Ratings would never be released and would be regarded as "Trade-Secrets".
4.) No parts in the car would be replaceable or serviceable. If something breaks, the whole car would have to be replaced by repurchasing a new iCar.
5.) Will exploit a third-world nation for raw materials causing political upheaval, civil war, and acts of genocide.
6.) Can only be recharged at the iStore, requiring a valid Credit Card and the installation of invasive malware. Services purchased at the iStore for your iCar would be non-transferable to any other car or anther iCar.
7.) It would not operate with non-iCar devices, even other devices made by Apple.
8.) Apple would make the claim that it is immune to accidents, creating a false security to it's owners, who will get careless and find that iCars still can get in accidents (just like the fallacy that the iMac, MacOS, iPod and iPhone are somehow miraculously immune to Viruses).
9.) Anyone who would criticize the iCar with any rational argument will be immediately flamed into non-existence by irrationally devout fan-bois and loyal iAddicts.
10.) And despite all these things, it would be embraced by smug, trendy yuppies everywhere and considered a status symbol for the "green" elite.

So, basically an iCar would be an all around bad idea considering Apple's previous track record. However, I do not doubt that if they did so it would be immensely popular and successful.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I don't think Apple or any other computer/internet company would buy into it.
Their issue being that you don't get sued into bankruptcy if the computers you sell crash. Manufacturing cars is a whole different world liability wise.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Considering the low quality to dollar ratio of current iProducts, we would be even deeper into a subscription based economy. I for one refuse to buy anything that will not be servicable for at least a few years.

Also, if it is like the current iProducts, it would be "Designed in California Made in China". So who would mostly benefit? A few engineers at Apple, which by the way, I do not care about, and laborers in China, who I also do not care about.

What we need to produce in America are some good, quality products that people actually want to buy.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

We did in the 60's and early 70's till the damned government decided it knew best how to protect us from ourselves and caved to special interest and the Insurance industry. They are repeating this same mistake by allowing the present administration to try to emulate FDR and his failed social protections of ourselves. There is NO constitutional reason for this government takeover of any industry, or the ability to force social change by micro-managing our lives!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Exactly and the free market should be handling this not the strong arm of the Obama administration. A President should not be firing people and cutting advertising budgets for private companies.

People are saying we need to buy American and we need jobs but that doesn't cut it. This is a problem that the politicians created when they pushed NAFTA and free trade. Both parties pushed these things.

We can't be a producer based nation in a global economy with cheap labor because we can't sustain the massive borrowing and spending in Washington.

People are not going to buy American just because it's American or Obama tries to force people into green cars. The way you do this is through working with Internet or computer companies and then self interest comes into play.

This way you also change and add to the auto consumer. You have the traditional cars for older buyers and the iCar or the Ford Focus: Twitter Edition for the younger consumer.

top topics

join