It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rational or Irrational?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I was thinking about this over the last few days and wanted to try asking a general question purely to see how people on ATS tend to think in crisis situations.

Rather than try a question that could be googled I have made up my own so nobody can cheat

Ill describe the hypothetical situation then ask the question. I would appreciate some honest answers and there is of course a correct one but that is not the entire reason for me posting this.

Anyways without further blabbing ill get straight to it.

Hypothetical scenario:

The government has declared a state of emergency worldwide.
All water that comes from shops, tap water, rivers, mountains, forrests, production facilities, plant life, livestock and underground water has been infected with a virus that is only fatal to humans. The virus causes you to die within 10 hours of internal bleeding. Livestock only carries the virus for 2 weeks as well as plant life. Chaos ensues as you would expect.

Ok, heres the question.

How would you get water for the next two weeks baring in mind all the contaminated sources?

I am interested to see how people answer and thanks in advance for replies. I hope I have covered the angles that I needed too with the sources and if not I apologise and will correct it but it looks ok.

Mods if this is in the wrong topic I did not want to post it in the survival forum as it is more a topic rational and irrational thinking as opposed to survival tips etc.

I will wait for a few answers before I say anymore.

Cheers

[edit on 2-6-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I'd put a bucket on my roof and wait for it to rain.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I've always enjoyed your posts so i'll reply.

Good one, rain water would be a good one, maybe more then one bucket, we'd have to have the info so we'll take that for granted we know and it's all of the sudden ordeal.

I personally would loot stores for gatorade, as gatorade is better then water as it's claimed it provides electrolytes needed for everyday life, and the more you drink of it the better (well bedroom wise) things will get!

Your energy is better, it's altogether good, and try to live off that till something is beneficial to stop the virus, or we all die except for the few who are immune like the black plague.

Gatorade would be the best thing to loot for IMO. If you live in a droughtful area, or can't wait that long for rain, like here in Texas.

It's not a honest question I know, but your talking hypothetical, and I answered as I think you would see fit.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: The rain idea is fine but its fickle temporal nature could pose a problem and as for Gatorade...well I think that breaks the conditions of the OP RE: any water from "production facilities"!
So what to do? Hmmm? I would posit that anything in tins in my pantry bought over 2 weeks prior to the SHTF scenario plus any dry foodstuffs such as cereal based foods also bought prior to the "outbreak" would qualify for immediate and trustworthy emergency food supply for the duration in question. Now as for liquid sustenance for the same duration I would trust anything bought previously that had an alcohol content of more than 5% and 2ndly I would make preparations to collect and recycle any urine as every drop counts!

Personal Disclosure: Starred and Flagged!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I would put the kettle on and boil it and make a nice cuppa. You never said the virus was heat resistant...so I am using artistic license.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
as for liquid sustenance for the same duration I would trust anything bought previously that had an alcohol content of more than 5%

LETS PARTY!!!!!

Everyone would have to drink alcohol. This would probably be the funniest 2 weeks ever. The best part is that nobody would remember it, HAHA.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
wow good question... i can`t think of a good anser only other questions can you use reverse osmosis on urine? if i you can i`d be asking for donations

would rain be affected?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
i have previously stored water, water purification tablets ... and a stove on hand. if there is no power, i have a couple of grills and fire pit out back. ration the water to be used only for drinking, for cooking only if necessary.

would still put out a rain barrel though. (it will take more than two weeks for the infrastructure to realign.) ensuing chaos can be kept at bay with a few well placed rifle rounds.

those may sound like survival tips, but for me it is only rational to be prepared.

gatorade only really works if you are burning electrolytes like they were fossil fuels. it merely replaces them. if you don't need them, the crap just tastes salty, makes you thirsty, and is kind of bad for your kidneys.

contaminated and otherwise disease carrying animals (birds, racoons, squirrels, rats) could still get to a rain bucket, knock it over, drink it dry, etc... not to mention bird poo.

alcoholic beverages cause dehydration.

edit to say: there are few techniques for procuring water 'from of thin air'... by setting up a condensation trap.

[edit on 2/6/2009 by gravykraken]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Definately looting, products like powerade, gatorade, canned fruit juice and stuff like that. But primary goal would have to be put up a huge tarpaulin to collect morning dew and rainwater in big quanities.
And I wouldn't share either.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Well I would drink it anyway. We are all going to die and if I survive, it means my immune system is that much stronger. I don't choose to live my life in fear of disease or any other form of it.

But to play along, the scenario is not realistic, unless all the water distributions you claim to be infected were made on and after a certain date. Any water processed BEFORE the virus had spread would still be plentiful throughout the world. And we could also use desalination of ocean water for consumption. And before anyone says desalination hasn't been perfected, read about the factories in Dubai.

I must say I like these kind of posts, it's like a story problem with no wrong answer!
S/F

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'd get a bucket, wait for it to rain, and then some how make a piss filtering machine, so i can drink my pee, without any of the bad stuff.

The world would go crazed, and those who haven't prepaired would be screwed. I would also resort to rioting, looting to get supplies i need. Sad but true.

Looking forward to others answers.

Love&Light.

Jacob

Edit - I can drink tiny amounts, so i consume the disease, but not enough to kill me. That way i can build up my immune system.

[edit on 2/6/2009 by JacobNH]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I dont think this thread is going to get much more replies so I will post the answer.

Answer = Collect rainwater with a bucket.

I made this thread to try and show how people can blind themselves to the obvious solution through various means be it panic, confusion, overcomplications etc.

Some of the replies were correct and some not but I think its made its point.

This was nothing more than a little experiment if you like just in case anyone is offended.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I often wonder how the public would react if there was a real panic scenario like this, it kind of sums up the amount of chaos that would happen in some of the replies I think.

Definately some interesting answers, lots of people talking about urine, something I certainly hadnt thought of but pretty good in my opinion

I liked the alcohol post for some humor

Cheers.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

What if in the are someone lives , it doesnt rain that often?
How would one get clean water?

new topics

top topics

join