It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. judge: Guantanamo evidence must be made public

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

U.S. judge: Guantanamo evidence must be made public

www.newsdaily.com

WASHINGTON, June 1, 2009 (Reuters) — A federal judge rejected on Monday a U.S. government request to keep secret the unclassified evidence that it says justifies the continued imprisonment of more than 100 Guantanamo Bay prisoners.

U.S. District Judge Thomas Hogan ruled the government cannot keep the documents known as factual returns from public disclosure and must seek court approval to keep specific information secret.

"Public interest in Guantanamo Bay generally and these proceedings specifically has been unwavering," Hogan wrote. "Publicly disclosing the factual returns would e
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
If the Military has evidence that these are enemy combatants, terrorist, jihadists, you would think that they would be anxious to show how they are doing a great job at protecting us.
But on the other hand if they have perhaps held goat herders that happened to get rounded up with suspected terrorist; I can see why that information might want to be kept secret to avoid embarrassment. Or if some of the information shows evidence of torture.

I feel many facts about this war have been hidden. Why? Perhaps we will soon find out. The truth will set you free

www.newsdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I'm sure there is undoubtedly people detained that shouldn't be that isn't the military's fault though. The Military aren't the police or FBI they fight wars.

They are tasked with a job of fighting a war. If we let them just do their job there would be no detainees they would kill just about all of them.

Everything is has been screwed up from the beginning of all this mess. This is why War should be an absolute last resort. We are witnessing what happens when special interest wants wars waged to protect "their" interest.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
Everything is has been screwed up from the beginning of all this mess. This is why War should be an absolute last resort. We are witnessing what happens when special interest wants wars waged to protect "their" interest.

But does the military bare any responsibility for fighting a war for special interests. They know who they are fighting for and the reason. It is soon apparent that it is not to protect the homeland but to enrich the ones that profit from war.

As I see this so called war on terror drag on; I question....who are the terrorist? Who is feeling the most terror? Perhaps the citizens of the countries that were invaded.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

No the Military doesn't bare any responsibility for it. It is the same as you at your job your boss asks you to do something and if you don't do it you get fired, same thing. Except they get court a martial and possible jail time for not following orders.

The only way for the Military to not continue fighting these wars is for them to do a mass mutiny, and that is problems in all of its self. Our soldiers are people too and have families to support. It isn't as cut and dry.

Ultimately the American people as a whole are at fault because we voted these pricks into office that make these decisions.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

But does the military bare any responsibility for fighting a war for special interests. They know who they are fighting for and the reason. It is soon apparent that it is not to protect the homeland but to enrich the ones that profit from war.

As I see this so called war on terror drag on; I question....who are the terrorist? Who is feeling the most terror? Perhaps the citizens of the countries that were invaded.

A standing Army in a free country is a non-policy making tool of the country itself. The military should NEVER be allowed to make a move based on what it feels policy should be. It should only carry out the policy which the Executive Branch and the Legislative Branch determines for it.

It can make all the tactical and strategic decisions it needs to in order to carry out that policy, but unless you want a military coup, then keep them out of making policy.

top topics

join