It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grandmother Tasered at Traffic Stop

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiloke

Officer Harmon, Joplin, MO, Fall of about 1995. Sorry, it has been awhile and I don't remember his first name, but I have a file at home.

I have a file on the other one also, but I really don't remember the details of that event as well. Officer Harmon's situation was ongoing for months, the other one was an isolated incident, where the officer didn't respond to a call, and released the suspect prematurely when he did finally arrive. He had other performance issues as well.

You are correct that a senior officer should not, and normally does not discipline a rookie in front of the citizen. In my two occasions, when the back-up arrived, I was simply excused without a citation, and I don't know what happened next.

One such incident was riding a motorcycle without a tag, and the rookie wanted to tow it away for some reason. In Missouri, you have a certain number of days to get a vehicle in good working condition, and get the safety inspection done, before requiring a tag. I had the bill of sale, the repair receipt, and the inspection certificate when I got pulled over, but the cop didn't know the law very well. I did not argue the ticket too much, but when he wanted to tow the bike, I told him no way, we argued some, and I told him to get someone else there. A couple of more patrolmen showed up, mediated the situation and waited on a higher ranking officer. Eventually, he came and I was let go. I don't think it was discipline issue, it was a knowledge of the law issue. Joplin, MO, Summer 1994, sorry no file on that one.

Like I said, my personal experience in this realm is extensive. I could tell you several more specific stories with dates and locations, but I don't think that is the point of this thread.

You seem to have gotten very upset about the fact that I might refuse to sign your ticket?!? Do you think Tazering is justified in the OP case? Do you really think that refusing to sign the ticket puts me in the same basket as a "baby raper" as you said earlier?!?

You have shown the type of temperment that is exactly wrong for law enforcement. Maybe you should be SWAT, DEA, or something with a little more violence, and a contact with a higher degree of criminal. I would hate for you to pull over my wife or mother, show the type of anger you have shown here, do something stupid, and have to run into me when you least expect it!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Secondary Point:

Please don't take your frustration from this thread to work with you today. I would hate to think we contributed to your poor job performance, and some innocent citizen of Colorado had to suffer.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Exactly. Not so long ago in a town called The VIllages an old woman tried to drive through a barricade at one of their parades to park, then got "aggressive" toward security and tried to basically run over the cop. Yep, she got taken in!
Not to mention, there are a lot of people with early stage dementia out there, and some of them do get physical. We had the cops out several times when I worked at a retirement home as a teen because people threatened each other with guns or assaulted each other with canes. No joke.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I mean no offense to the officer that is posting to this thread at all, you may be one of the fair and decent cops that are still out there.

Cops have now lost their minds! People everywhere are subjected to search for no reason other than walking down the freaking street! When did it get to the place that a citizen of the US must provide identification when taking a walk or face arrest???? For vagrancy of all stupid things, oh and if no one shows up with your id you cannot even post bail, so a night in jail is what you get in Rochester, NY.

My landlord is a cop, in fact he is the Deputy Chief of police in one of the suburban forces, the dirtiest and nastiest bunch of cops in the area. After one of their officers hit a car on the expressway, causing the pregnant woman to deliver her baby 2 1/2 months early, he left the scene and his fellow officers covered up the whole thing. He had coc aine and alcohol in his system and was just sentenced to a pitiful 3-7. If it was Joe Citizen he would have gotten a far stiffer sentence. Then we have the lovely officer from the same force that barters a little sex with the females he stops in exchange for not getting arrested....great cops. Now here is the kicker.....

MY landlord the deputy COP and the Chief plus a sergeant were caught shredding documents on a Saturday morning, the Saturday morning before the State Police Investigators were due to arrive to investigate the cover up. How nice that all 3 are suspended WITH PAY. I am so excited to hear what happens with this investigation. Everyone in the area, including residents from the town have begged for years for something to be done with this dirty force....lets see if it gets better, I am not holding my breath.

Cops are dirty, the vast majority of them treat people like dirt and are nothing but disrespectful at best and purely sadistic and abusive at worst. I feel very bad for the few good ones, but the fact remains these stories of abuse and mistreatment are all over the place and increasing every day. Any cop that can't handle a 72 year old woman needs to be off the force...sadly probably with pay!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Primordial

Most police (and fire) forces give preference to vets, they already have firearms training and are familiar with chain of command. They also tend to be in better shape than other recruits.

I would have to agree with most of you that a hell of a lot of cops are out of control in this country but it is tit for tat. I did a police ridealong a few weeks back and someone who turned out to be a dead-drubk illegal jumped out of a car and lunged at me, about 30 minutes after another person the deputy stopped literally jumped out of their car and began frantically grabbing for something under his seat which we were afraid was a gun. NOT fun and more excitement than I ever wanted. Police work is mostly dull but imagine having to deal with that every day and you start to see how they lose the plot. Not to mention that there is a segment of the population that looks for confrontation and it involves every possible demographic.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

Your location says upstate NY but your post screams "Orange County, Florida." You sure you aren't in Orlando?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

LOL, when I saw you mention The Villages, I wondered if you were in Orlando. You guys have some major growing pains down there. Now, with the economy, it is only going to get worse, I am afraid.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Nope good old Rochester NY. Here is the link to an article in our local paper all about what i posted.

www.democratandchronicle.com... al+progress+

Cops are cops and they all do the same dirt so I am not at all surprised this sounds like another part of the nation.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
It's pointless to discuss this without the dashcam video.

I'll say this though, she doesn't look like she's 72.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
WEAK! What a sissy! LMAO.

The day I can't detain a 72-year old grandmother without the use of a taser is the day I need to resign from the police department.

It seems to me that cops are using tasers as a fall back for anything these days. It's becoming a problem.
"Won't exit a public speaking conference? USE THE TASER!"
"Won't get your bicycle off the sidewalk? USE THE TASER!"
"Won't sign the ticket I just wrote? USE THE TASER!"

Absolutely ridiculous. This cop needs to be reviewed and possible needs to re-take his physical aptitude tests.

I remember back in the day when cops were REAL MEN. It seems those days are long gone. I remember when officers earned the respect they received from the community. Not only have they lost that respect - it seems they want to demand it from people that are unwilling to give it and when they don't get it they just whip out their tasers.

Pathetic excuse for a law enforcement officer.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I live very close to Orlando, and yes, the area is hurting. I'd give anything to be in North Carolina or NYC but they are getting hit even harder.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dramey

what we should all do

is all of us carry our own civilian tasers, and when some jerk cop (not a good cop) but a jerk cop pulls this crap, we dont fist fight, we dont wrestle, no one gets shot, but instead we just taser the cop whos tasering the person

see how he likes it

i
I thouught the same thing myself a few weeks back while reading another story like this
but obvisley this wouldnt fly they would prolly just shoot us then!! I think the use of a taser should be just like the use of a gun "deadly force" only as a last resort! before the gun , yea if the cop cannot subdue a 72 y/old women without a taser why the hell is he a cop in the first place?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
That poor woman! That officer should be ashamed of himself! Honestly, why did he resort to using that taser on a little old lady? OMG, why is that man even a police officer? What ever happened to using comunication? I hope that she does not have damage to her heart now or something.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dramey
what we should all do

is all of us carry our own civilian tasers, and when some jerk cop (not a good cop) but a jerk cop pulls this crap, we dont fist fight, we dont wrestle, no one gets shot, but instead we just taser the cop whos tasering the person

see how he likes it

Nah, that will just get you into trouble standing there doing that. Revenge is for later!

Originally posted by Tiloke
Screw it, you people obviously only want to trash cops.

I WISH!!! But, for now, I guess we'll just have to settle on verbally criticizing them and wait for a riot in order to do some trashing, ha.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
Why is everyone bashing all cops for the actions of a few?

[edit on 1-6-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

I reviewed the posts before yours and I didn't see any generalization for all cops being like this. All I saw was people referring to this specific cop, cops that feel they need to use this kind of force, and "these" cops (obviously meaning these cops that are quick to tase or pull the trigger).

Edit to add my .02: Yes, this is ridiculous. I'm actually getting tired of seeing these stories. There is no reason for a cop to use a taser on a 72 year old woman. He could have easily handcuffed her if need be. If they can subdue an average sized man and put him in handcuffs then they can subdue a frail old woman.

This is commonly the scenario: Cop stops someone for something or other, according to the cop the person gets "uncooperative" (which is code for: Do what I say whether what I am saying makes any sense at all or not), cop tases the person. No discussion. No trying to reason with someone, or just trying to handcuff them. Even if they do try to handcuff them, one action that implies resistance seems to get you the taser with some of these guys. It's like they don't want to waste their time.

Now, I will admit in this case that if what the officer said was true I could see how the end result might end in using the taser. If this were an averaged sized young to middle aged person, male or female and only if the cop couldn't physically control the person in order to handcuff them. But a 72 year old woman who is probably just a little senial? Pathetic...

[edit on 2-6-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Was thinking exactly the same thing there, if she was getting violent or kicking off then the taser is an easy way to get her in cuffs. If you start wrestling with a 72 year old woman its likely she'd end up with a broken wrist from arsing about with handcuffs or broken hip from hitting the deck.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
If she's like one of my grandmothers, or like my husband's demented grandmother that the family is too damn scared to take away her license.....well I'd probably tazer the ol'battleaxe too if she came after me.

You've probably all got some idea of a frail little housefrau. Sexism and ageism works both ways. Sometimes when you are so forgiving of some "poor little woman" you really are just showing that you think women aren't as responsible for their actions. When you think that a 72 year old cannot possibly be violent or concerning, you are just showing that you are ageist.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsallCrazy
reply to post by Styki

Was thinking exactly the same thing there, if she was getting violent or kicking off then the taser is an easy way to get her in cuffs. If you start wrestling with a 72 year old woman its likely she'd end up with a broken wrist from arsing about with handcuffs or broken hip from hitting the deck.

Hmmm...possibly breaking a bone or possibly having a heart attack and dying? I'd take the broken bone.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by cams
Quick stop that crazy violent speeding great grandmother before she uses 'the force' and kills someone....

What a weak piece of ..........

He'll probably be sent back to jackboot school for only using a tazer.

what next...a 8 year old kid steals candy and when the officer arrives starts crying and rolling on the floor. the officer whips out his tazer and frys the kid. this type of law enforcement is going on all over the country, so it has to be taught that this is ok. we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg (the ones that get caught doing this)... ziek hiel!!!! ziek hiel!!!

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join