It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

800 Britons on waiting list for Swiss suicide clinic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Now, due to the - *(see source)

• Record numbers want assisted death

• Lords will hear plea to overturn law

So it seems that the ideology of "the right to die" that rallied into debate, deeming the notion; ending suffering and choice are the perfect companions to legalize assisted suicide.

What timing.

The tenfold increase in the number of Britons who have joined Dignitas since 2002 will raise questions about the law that bans assisted suicide in Britain.

On Tuesday, 46-year-old Debbie Purdy, who suffers from progressive multiple sclerosis, will go to the House of Lords, the UK's highest court, asking it to determine whether her husband Omar Puente will be prosecuted if he helps her to travel abroad to die.

As if, they are helping out those who wish to check out at a time of their chosing, easing the workload of Swiss suicide clinics, Boost a slugginsh economy providing this service, and evidently, concuring with peoples right to death.

"There is clearly a growing demand in this country for a well regulated, legal right for people with terminal illness, who are mentally competent, to end their life if they choose to."

At least there will be one last right of the people. One they attempt not to strip us of,

and

They will use this to say how they are fighting for the constituants by preserving this right, and the sheeple will praise, cheer and congradulate their representatives on another job well done.

Finally, the sheeple, in magestic armchair fashion, will review, nod in satisfaction that all is good,

Click the Post Button, and submit. .
Once again, everything is as it should be.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by imd12c4funn]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
You know you are totally controlled when you cannot even legally dictate when you want to die.

I honestly see it as a good thing. If people want to die, let them. Let them also do it humanely, instead of having to jump in front of a moving train and ruin not only their day, but everybody else who has to pick up the pieces both emotionally and physically. Let them retain some dignity in death.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Very weird. If people are serious about suicide they generally just do it.

Accepted that some people are too infirmed to do it, generally if you really want to achieve it then you don't need assistance.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Well, the ramifications on collecting from an insurance policy would be the greatest debate over the entire issue.

An additional premium to have assisted suicide double indemnity?

Or, how to regulate for maximun profit?

Government or privatization of the industry?

They only care if the voter that elects them care.

That isn't the problem. It is getting the vote, the money, the control.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
good for them ,

pro life and pro choise is whats it about,

i watched my grandfatcher die on the bed for half a year in tubes and on medication ,

i dont want the same

he was dying of sever cancer ,
even i while im not a pothead sugested that we´d grow cannabis on thier balcony if he survived the surgery to ease the prossedure , even he agreed ,

he didn make it,

but still the agony of remembering my grandfather in that state , made him look less then what he was.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527
You know you are totally controlled when you cannot even legally dictate when you want to die.

I honestly see it as a good thing. If people want to die, let them. Let them also do it humanely, instead of having to jump in front of a moving train and ruin not only their day, but everybody else who has to pick up the pieces both emotionally and physically. Let them retain some dignity in death.

its wierd ,

if i recall correctly , holland had an age of 14 when you could take suecide legaly, other wise its an offence ?

i mean its just absurd

your not liable for your own actions.

?

edit , isnt it just absurd that you must be 18 to buy beer but yet you can end your life at 14 with out govermantal implimications ?

i mean not even your parents have a say in this

when will the madness end.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by zerbot565]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This thread is really depressing. I see a real trend here though with people who are depressed and feel there is nowhere else to turn.

Good news is that there still are tall buildings and bridges in the UK for those who really are tired of dealing with all the crap in their lives.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I personally think assisted suicide should be open to anybody at a moments notice. Going off the axiom that everybody should be able to do with their life what they want, as long as they don't hurt anybody else, that's the only logical option.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
I personally think assisted suicide should be open to anybody at a moments notice. Going off the axiom that everybody should be able to do with their life what they want, as long as they don't hurt anybody else, that's the only logical option.

I agree with everything except the "at a moment's notice." People make rash decisions all the time. Life being the most sacred thing we have I think there may be a better way. Perhaps counseling should be part of the procedure and will weed out people who are just a bit depressed versus those who have just had a horrible life and might be better off dead.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527

Exactly, if you guys even had any idea of how many suicides take place every day it would shock the hell out of you. The media is NOT allowed to publish them in fear of copycats and I guess, other reasons as well.

An old friend was a coroner, and told of a time they had to go and pull a body of a guy out of his house. The guy bought a kiddy pool, put it in his kitchen, put a chair in the center, and cut his Achilles tendons on both heels and let himself bleed out.

About 2 months ago, a friend of mine was in a bad accident on one of the major bridges in the area. While we were there we talked to a guy who works for the city, and its his job to go back and forth on the bridge checking for problems and setting up perimeters if an accident occurs.

He says, that a week prior, a couple had come down from the interior, rented a car. During rush hour traffic had stopped on the bridge, the husband got out and stood on the railing, blew his wife a kiss, and jumped. No more than an hour later the wife was back going the opposite direction, parked the car, got out and jumped.

This gentleman claimed there was approximately 1 jumper on this particular bridge per month. He could only speak of the bridge he worked on, and wouldn't speculate on numbers of jumpers on other area bridges. But that's just one of many bridges we have in the area. Expand that nationwide, through canada, mexico, usa, and through in the EU, the amount of people committing suicide daily must be in the several hundreds, if not thousands.

So why not let them do it humanely, without trouble, and without causing trouble to society?

[edit on 5-6-2009 by king9072]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Solitary suicides will still happen, if assisted suicide isn't done on demand immediately with no questions asked. A lot of suicides are spur of the moment decisions, and not planned events like assisted suicide currently is.

top topics

join