It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is America?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavrac
You said in your first post

"Is America the one that enslaved the blacks?"

you make it sound like America is the first and only country to do this

and slavery is wrong no matter who it is done to

Guess what
your are a slave and you dont even know it, so am I

[edit on 1-6-2009 by cavrac]

Try this:

"Is the Zodiak killer the one who killed a bunch of people?"

Does that mean he's the only one to kill a bunch of people?

You're just reading what I wrote about slaves how you want to read it.

Try:

"Is America the one that enslaved the blacks?"
vs.
"Is America the only one that enslaved the blacks?"

This is basic grammar.

Is Charles the one who rescued the birds?

Is Charles the one who enslaved the blacks?

I seriously don't understand how you guys are confused.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Logan

Is this an English board, or do you guys speak another language? This is third grade grammar guys.

I can speak French, German, Italian or English but I can't speak stupid. I was trying to understand your logic.
And so far the only thing I gather here is you have some kind of hate built up against America.

You can't speak stupid, but you type it very well!

Trying understanding basic English grammar. You don't appear to be very good at it.

After that, you can work on the logic.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The only purpose of your thread was to try and provoke an emotional response, it did not work.

- Enough !
- Hmph !

Gentlemen,
from this day forward...

you will all refer to me
by the name "Betty."

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by NWOhereNOW

OK I see what your saying. Like this right?

Is America the one that defeated Hitler and ended WW2
Is America the one that ended slavery
Is America the one that invented technology that brought the world into the computer age

[edit on 2-6-2009 by cavrac]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata hiding with the candy, hoping the kids don"t break through with the stick.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
To actually go ahead and answer your thread instead of attacking it America did all of it, ya it sucks, but take the bad with the good I guess not much good lately but there's progress.

We can go ahead and point fingers all day long but nothings going to get done till someone steps up, the people in the government did and though some of them shouldn't have I'd like to see half of you have to make decisions that they do with a better result.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Who is America?

America is NOT a person!

America is an idea, that only exists in our heads!

Just like any institution or government, it is little more than an idea that everyone agrees upon.

We all basically agree that this "imaginary person" America exists, and we all talk about it as if it actually exists

However the fact is, "America" is an idea and not a person.

So, WHO is America??

America is not anyone!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   

I think I may be able to help you better understand some of the replies you are getting here. I don't think anyone is stuck on the whole "America enslaved its own slaves". We get it. Guilty. The point is, you started this thread by stating that it was not a "Hate America" thread. It makes one wonder why you even bothered to add slavery to your list when it's known fact that America was not alone in the trade and America surely was not the inventor of such a trade. I think everyone else in this thread has made that point quite clear. In fact, a lot of items on this list of yours fit well within the situations of many other countries around the globe. One must ask: If this isn't an I Hate America thread, then why specifically point out America for actions that many other countries are just as guilty of commiting [though obviously not in the same exact fashion]. It just seems we all got stuck on the slavery subject because it was a fine example for debate. To me the OP just pops out as an Anti America post and a very shallow one at that. Perhaps this was not your intention, but that is how it looks.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
i have been lurking on ats for a long time but deceied to join after reading this thread . i know many people hate americans but i am a proud american i do not agree with our governmemt on almost everything they have been doning inthe last few years but i would not move to another country. i want to express to all you american bashers : MOVE go where you think you can be happy. if you think another country can take better care of you go but do come back when you need our military to come rescue you if things get bad. my husband was a proud us marine and i am tired of people bashing instead of trying to figure out a way to help each other though these tough times, if we all took the time we sit and complain can you imagine what could get done here. we have to help ourselves, not be lazy and depend on everyone else. we have planted two big gardens, there are only three of us my husband my daughter and myself. we plan on giving to others with what we dont use. if we as a country help our neighbors and get back to what our founding fathers fought for us to have america could get back on track . no i dont agree with what our government is doing to us but if we chose to help each other we will will survive

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
OK.

Firstly, I think everyone needs to maybe chill a bit. This is a place for civilised discussion after all.

Secondly, the forum header says....

This forum is dedicated to general conspiracy theories, cover-ups, and government scandals that may not fit into other topical forums on ATS. Discussion topics and follow-up responses in this forum will likely tend to lean in favor of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups.

And I'm not seeing that here, so maybe OP, could elucidate a little, and then people can have a discussion about the what you are trying to say, instead of issuing and responding to a series of statements.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Thank you.
We have been called "bad" before. Many have said We do things...
that are not correct to do.

I don"t believe in such talk as this.

We are nice country ... with happy feelings... all of the time !

First, a joke.

What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord?

- My ass. Nyah, ha ha ! Ha ha !

[edit on 1-6-2009 by cavrac]

i thought i recognized the 1st line when i read it. quoting kungpow eh.

anywho i don't hate america, i just hate war and undiserved violence and slavery.
anyone noticed that the chinese slaves weren't mentioned.
they werent't already slaves they were lied to by america promising this and that and the BAM... enslaved them.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Is America the one that invented technology that brought the world into the computer age

Am I missing something here? Are these trick questions?

1. No. Certainly not! It was a combined efforst by many countries. Out of the three major allies, it is impossibly to say any particular country won, as it is likely that without one of the US, UK and Russia, the allies could not have won the war.

2. No, that was Britain.

3. No, again there was involvement by many countries but people mostly consider the first true computer to have been made in the UK.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by triplesod
Am I missing something here? Are these trick questions?

Yes triplesod, the way they are worded, they can be thought of as trick questions. I was just demonstrating what the OP was doing, he gave me a lecture on grammar on the top of page 3 of this thread

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
playing games with semantics is a bit childish. Ranting about how evil Americans are for owning slaves in the past is pointless. I will personally give you all the money I have if you can provide a living person who either was a slave or owned one in the US.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Some of your points could be well argued, however, America did actually help to fund and create what we now call Al Qaeda.

Initially, we funded, trained, and supplied the mujahideen in the 80's as well as Sadaam Hussein (Iran Contra Affairs). Our training of the Afghani mujahideen was to help them, during the Cold War, to defeat Russian troops that had invaded Afghanistan, with Osama Bin Laden being their leader. A few years later, after America had abandoned the cause due to Russia's defeat, Al Qaeda was formed with current leaders of the Taliban.

So...in essence, we may not have formed the mujahideen, but, Al Qaeda was formed with American money and blood.

You might want to ask yourself why tons of our tax dollars has gone to fund our supposed enemies.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by angtag
i have been lurking on ats for a long time but deceied to join after reading this thread . i know many people hate americans but i am a proud american i do not agree with our governmemt on almost everything they have been doning inthe last few years but i would not move to another country. i want to express to all you american bashers : MOVE go where you think you can be happy. if you think another country can take better care of you go but do come back when you need our military to come rescue you if things get bad. my husband was a proud us marine and i am tired of people bashing instead of trying to figure out a way to help each other though these tough times, if we all took the time we sit and complain can you imagine what could get done here. we have to help ourselves, not be lazy and depend on everyone else. we have planted two big gardens, there are only three of us my husband my daughter and myself. we plan on giving to others with what we dont use. if we as a country help our neighbors and get back to what our founding fathers fought for us to have america could get back on track . no i dont agree with what our government is doing to us but if we chose to help each other we will will survive

Nice opinion, and I agree with you. This country has been great to my ancestors in the past. We are going through a tough time, and it is through our own mutual respect and understanding, that we will get through this storm. There is a category five hurricane on the horizon and it is going to be a direct hit and we need to band together for one common goal our very survival, because no one is going to do it for us.

So every one needs to shed aside their bickering, partisanship, racial and religious xenophobic views and weather the storm. It's imperative we do so, because we decaying from with in. The reason we are so great is the plain fact of being the worlds' melting pot. That is our biggest advantage and strength!

From a proud Navy sailor to your husband the proud Marine, "Thanks for your service and Semper Fi!"

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Yeah, that's fine!

I'm over here asking who America is, and giving a bunch of negative examples.

Then the thread turns into a discussion about the origin of slavery.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The OP is a troll, albeit a pretty lame one. If you dont beleive me read his other post on the 2nd Amendment.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by M0n0lyth

I think everyone else in this thread has made that point quite clear. In fact, a lot of items on this list of yours fit well within the situations of many other countries around the globe.

As a matter of fact, it appears to be so clear... so clear that... I don't see it?

Wow! I wrote it!

Yes, it should be remarkably clear. America isn't exclusively involved in ANYTHING on that list - even the election of Presidents or the drop of a nuclear bomb in a WORLD WAR.. which is why I can only deduce that I am conversing with those who are... not all that bright.

Yet, as I stated before, it doesn't really matter how it happened for these purposes, but that it happened.

People are free to list great things that America has done.

I wonder why most of you instead went on a rampage about the history of slavery?

One must ask: If this isn't an I Hate America thread, then why specifically point out America for actions that many other countries are just as guilty of commiting [though obviously not in the same exact fashion].

If it were an I hate America thread, don't you think it would make more sense to list things that ONLY America has done?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

You were playing right along with the slavery section of this thread, Mr. Troll, so don't dare stand back now and pretend to be innocent.

I don't get where your thread is supposed to be going. Are you looking for an answer? An apology?

I'm fairly certain that you simply started this to feel self-righteous.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join