It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Britian's Pictures of Tortured PoWs Fake?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Some doubt has been cast on the authenticity of the photos.

BBC's defence correspondent Paul Adams says sources close to The Queen's Lancashire Regiment believe many aspects of the photographs are extremely suspicious.

He says they believe the pictures may not have been taken in Iraq.

They believe the rifle is an SA80 mk 1 - which was not issued to troops in Iraq.

They say soldiers in Iraq wore berets or hard hats - and not floppy hats as in the photos.

They also believe the wrong type of Bedford truck is shown in the background - a type never deployed in Iraq.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
Some doubt has been cast on the authenticity of the photos.

Yeah, I could believe that those pictures were fake. I was really surprised to hear that the British were doing things like that. I'd expect that kind of thing from US soldiers, but I just had the impression the Brits were a bit more.....well, professional.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I feel so sick--just went theough and read the damn articles.

I fear the only way to show the Iraqi's that we don't condone it and hopefully get the unrest CAUSED by this is to publically execute those who are personally responsible IN IRAQ. How many times do we have to fuss about Hitler before we realize we are very much capable of the same? We live in a sick world, people.

Anyway, I read both Frankenstein and The Lord of the Flies before I left highschool. The covered there would do well to be remembered here.
Frankenstein is about the monster, but reading it, an even bigger moster comes into view, the man running in terror throughout hte whole book, Dr. Frankenstein himself. My God, a small powerful sect of the Islamic faith knocked over the towers, and many of those poeple burned to death, were crused by the building, but they DID NOT SODOMISE OUR PEOPLE, holding them for hours, breaking their spirits.
Lord of the Flies is about what happens to people when government is taken away from the morally imature--specifically pre-pubescent boys. My God, we're no longer innocent, as a country--these boys blood is on our hands.
May I continually grieve for this loss...

At the sametime that this is HORRIBLE, this is still war. Things of this nature happen in wars--even where the leadership is honerable. GO back to Sherman, when He did the "slash-and-burn" tatics across Southern US during the civil war. Women were raped; murder occoured. As soon as Sherman found out, he'd have those men EXECUTED IMMEDIATELY, as their like would not be tolerated. It was a matter of honor...

Now, you can't just kill the moster without BECOMING the monster. We cannot just bomb the hell out of Iraq; we cannot just execute Sadam Haussein, and we certainly cannot just do this to men of whom we do not know--NO MATTER WHAT WE THINK THEY'VE DONE!

But then, what am I going to do about it? I'll at most cry, then spend the rest of the night entertaining myself with brittish sitcoms....

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
First a comment, then a question.

jlc163, we do not want to become like these people. But I want to give you two names:

Jessica Lynch
Daniel Pearl

This is in response to your comment

My God, a small powerful sect of the Islamic faith knocked over the towers, and many of those poeple burned to death, were crused by the building, but they DID NOT SODOMISE OUR PEOPLE, holding them for hours, breaking their spirits.

Once again, we must be careful not to become like these people. But they commit atrocities also. Jordan recently foiled a plot by al Qaeda to release chemical agents that would have killed tens of thousands. They had taped confessions within one day. Very efficient, IMO.

Now my question: How did CBS get possession of the photos of the American soldiers and Iraqi prisoners??

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Thank you; I did not know. Do understands that much of what I stated was emotional, how I felt�

There's also the thought that these were a few people here and there, but what these soldiers are being accused of is right in between what happened to Jessica and Daniel and Auschwitz.

Daniel was not a condoned case by the government �in control� of the man who killed Daniel. He was one of those men lost in the system like many of our own serial killers here in America (many kill 5-6 women before they�re caught, and some will never be caught). Jessica had the help of many of the non-military civilians.

At the other end of the spectrum, Auschwitz happened WITH the German Government knowing, and applauding. Most civilians didn�t know what was going on, because the press was not really allowed to report. The ranks covered for each other, figuring that anything was good enough for a �dirty Jew.�

We fell smack-dab in the middle of these two.

2 on Jessica Lynch
www.nbc.com...
www.nydailynews.com...
1 on Daniel Pearl
www.usatoday.com...

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Now, as for how CBS gets their pictures.

There are several ways they could have gotten them:
I personally believe it was the first one�

Theory 1:
My mamma used to work for the Sioux City Journal, and from what I remember, most decent-sized newspapers try to keep highly interconnected with others, even to the point of being global�not all stories get through, but just those which are big. CBS, being NATIONAL NEWS, would have better connections than does a local newspaper. Nothing is ever particularly sent, often�
Believe me, the press likely has contacts with more militant groups than THEY are aware of.
Theory 2:
Someone sent it into them. Now, it could either be one of the military men that was THERE, who felt helpless to stop the abuse, which had tried going up the ranks, but got lost somewhere in the red tape.
Somehow, the news form the other side deliberately contacted them.
Theory 3:
Some of these pics. went through chains of email, just like the poor Louisiana soldier who took a pic. With some Iraqi kid holding a sign. (Depending on which version of the picture was seen, there was the statement of �This man killed my father, raped my sister, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.� This was a doctored picture, but it caused a stir, here for a few days�

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
How does Jessica Lynch come into this ?

The Iraqis gave her the best medical treatment they could and even tried to take her to the coalition in an ambulance but were fired on.

The claims that she was harmed have been denied by her.

Daniel Pearle was killed in Pakistan wasn't he?

Or are you just bunching muslims into one big group.Pakistanis aren't even Arabs.

I think in America it is believed that all muslims are to blame for 9/11.This is a lie perpetuated by Bush who tried unsuccessfully to tie Iraq/Saddam to 9/11.

In the minds of Americans War On Terror = War On Muslims.

So what has a journalist killed in Pakistan by terrorists and a female US soldier well treated by the Iraqis got to do with US/UK soldiers ritually humiliating and torturing shackled and hooded Iraq prisoners many of whom were in prison for civil offences?

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I hate to burst the historical bubble you think you've got here, but...

1.) Even many of Hitler's closest disagreed with the liquidation of the Jewish (non-)citizens. The guards, sentries, etc. at Auchswitz would most likely not have agreed with what they were doing, but it was their job, and they couldn't refuse to do it, they wouldn't f***ing dare.

2.) The My Lai massacre was not the result of an unhinged troop. They were given direct orders to shoot the crowd herded up in the center of the village. Men, women and children. Never overlook the fact that human beings are weak-willed creatures. In the end, 99.99% (including everyone reading this) will obey authority.

The pictures of British soldiers soiling Iraqi prisoners didn't hold water with me, because they came the day after the pictures of US soldiers, so I'm open to the suspicion that it's just our tabloids kicking up f*** over nothing. There might just be those who, as was said, are not fit to wear the Queen's uniform, but this seems too opportune to me.

This just takes me back to a hilarious documentary I watched, showing more the incompetence of US troops than the cruelty. They had a "firefight", shooting at this building for somewhere between half an hour and 2 hours, and when they finally went in, they found it had been deserted for days. I, personally, would have reprimanded them for wasting time and ammunition, but... what do you expect when all these (CNN) Patriots sign up, eh ?

In conclusion: Thank you for giving me an excuse to point things out, and laugh at the comparison between US and British soldiers. Damn, I needed that...

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
P.S. Not that I'm asserting this as FACT, but I would have thought the Brits would be carrying the Enfield L85A1. Just an idea. Can anyone shed some light on this ?

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I have to go with what marg6043
said: This all wreaks of Hegelian Dialect: (Problem, Reaction, Solution) Get the arab community to attack more so we can keep fighting the fake war on terrorism.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1

So what has a journalist killed in Pakistan by terrorists and a female US soldier well treated by the Iraqis got to do with US/UK soldiers ritually humiliating and torturing shackled and hooded Iraq prisoners many of whom were in prison for civil offences?

Daniel Pearl was an innocent man brutally murdered by al Qaeda terrorists. I doubt it meant much to him whether he was in a jail cell or on a dirt road when they slit his throat. It was brought up because of jlc's reference to the Twin Towers.

Jessica Lynch was not "treated well". She has bowel control problems to this day from being brutally sodomized.
Treating her well would have begun with the Iraqi's keeping their filthy hands off of her from the beginning, and letting her be treated by the coalition.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Link ?

I've never heard that.

I've seen her say she was treated well.

So can you supply a link with this outrageous new claim.

Edit.OK,I've had a good look for the evidence and there is none.

You really need to start learning to differentiate between allegation as opposed to fact.

Jessica Lynch isn't claiming this and so you shouldn't either.

Just another American moulding Jessica Lynch into what he/she wants her to be.Makes me think you don't really care about what happened just as long as it proves your argument.

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Will you please tone it down? And stop with the personal attack crap; I'm not in the mood.

The link you asked for is on this very page.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phaselink
WAKE UP...How about all those captured american 20 year olds that the Islamics put a gun to their their head and blew their brains out!!!

There's really no comparison. That's right. It's real war. People are killed. There's no point in pissing on people, and the effects are negative. Besides that, there's a good reason for not putting dead Americans on the TV, and it's a better reason than the one responsible for these photos appearing in the media. Both liberal and conservative media understand that.

OHHHH...we dont see those picture, why is that, because they would have blown the liberal photogrphers brains out!!!

I assume you're liberal. Awful war-like typing for a liberal. I'll assume that you are a liberal of the type that would have all of the real TRUTH smattered all over TV and newspapers, in the hopes that displaying it prominently may sway the opinions of more Americans against the Iraq invasion. If I assume correctly, you are more dangerous than the enemies we now face, and you must find a way to DENY IGNORANCE IMMEDIATELY!!! If I am wrong, disregard my last.

You fools are about to enter the realm of REAL WAR!!! and unfortunately you will learn that these Islamics want is alll DEAD!!!!

Yes, we know that. They told us. We're killing them just fine. We don't need to escacerbate the problem by pissing on them and otherwise humiliating them. It does nothing to further our cause. Actually, it's a waste of time and energy. But unfortunately, we can't shoot them in the head like they do us, for the same reason we can't urinate on them.

Time will prove my point...I pitty your innocent , kind ignorance....

I've been to war. Twice. This innocent, kind ignorance is what I would consider rational. Something these torture kids are not. I think they are undisciplined, unindoctrinated of the reasons for Law of Land Warfare, and I think they also may be going a little crazy. It seem people back stateside are going a little crazy as well...

DC

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
That's what I said all along, when they take american soldiers, they torture them first and then they kill them I don't see no iraqui or terrorist been arrested for that, and this torture are been seen by all the arab world media but not here I wonder if somebody could be able to get their hands on some pics of what they do to our soldiers onces they are captured that will shup up some conservative groups around here.

No, you will never shup (sp?) up some conservative groups around here. Nor should you be trying to do so.
I don't even want to, nor should I have to, explain all the reasons why that is a bad idea.

I believe all this is a propaganda plan to infuriate the islamic groups so the president have more excuses to go and bomb them more when they start to retaliate because they will retaliate and is not going to be pretty.:

[sarcasm]Yeah, things were way too quiet over there. Better stir things up a bit; after all, there's an election coming up.[/sarcasm]

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by All-Father
I hate to burst the historical bubble you think you've got here, but...

1.) Even many of Hitler's closest disagreed with the liquidation of the Jewish (non-)citizens. The guards, sentries, etc. at Auchswitz would most likely not have agreed with what they were doing, but it was their job, and they couldn't refuse to do it, they wouldn't f***ing dare.

2.) The My Lai massacre was not the result of an unhinged troop. They were given direct orders to shoot the crowd herded up in the center of the village. Men, women and children. Never overlook the fact that human beings are weak-willed creatures. In the end, 99.99% (including everyone reading this) will obey authority.

In conclusion: Thank you for giving me an excuse to point things out, and laugh at the comparison between US and British soldiers. Damn, I needed that...

There's also the thought that these were a few people here and there, but what these soldiers are being accused of is right in between what happened to Jessica and Daniel and Auschwitz.
Daniel was not a condoned case by the government �in control� of the man who killed Daniel. He was one of those men lost in the system like many of our own serial killers here in America (many kill 5-6 women before they�re caught, and some will never be caught). Jessica had the help of many of the non-military civilians.
At the other end of the spectrum, Auschwitz happened WITH the German Government knowing, and applauding. Most civilians didn�t know what was going on, because the press was not really allowed to report. The ranks covered for each other, figuring that anything was good enough for a �dirty Jew.�

We fell smack-dab in the middle of these two.

Sweetie, I was being over-generalized, for spectrums sake, not GETTING INTO SEVERAL THOUSANDS OF DETAILS. Thank you for stating the above, as people would probably take me at my word, and misconstrue it, as you have, to mean more than what I meant it to mean, though it does not change the spectrum I was pointing out.
There were people that disagreed with all three, throughout the ranks, but I was looking at the overall consensus, and how it was overall dealt with. Just because some felt squeamish with the liquidation of the Jews, it was still STATE SUPPORTED and NOTHING STOPPED IT BUT THE END OF A WAR. (YES, there are SIMILARITIES that can be drawn betwixt Auschwitz and Islam that cannot be honestly drawn between them and America�some logistics won�t match up.) The same could be said of the other two spectrums, but one was from a country that didn�t support them, officially and in the other, people in rather prominent positions resisted and sent the girl away. Ours was a typical military cover-up, which falls somewhere in the middle of the two polarities, is of a similar background, but all three things go in different directions. THAT WAS A I WAS POINTING OUT, thank you! The biggest thing that caught my attention was the volume of people to which these things happened, and the amount of resistance per �enslaved� person that this took, and the official government direction with each. (Sort of like how, at the end of WWII, all the French were in the "resistance" :lol

Don�t get me wrong, I am very much aware that some Muslims have been as evil as Hitler, and we as a nation have not hit that low. I was looking at specific points along the associative line and didn�t really draw much of a conclusion�

I don't mind being the butt of your joke, I probably deserved it, but you seemed to assume pretty quick... and all that will do is make an ass out of you (and mayhap me as well) as the "old" saying goes

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
There are so many different threads about this topic I can't keep them all straight. But, just in case some of you would like to see my post about these Pictures being possible fake or edited photos, here is a link to what I posted in a differnet thread.

Near the bottom of page 2. The only post with Pictures being displayed.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join