It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Know-nothing 31 year old put in charge to revamp GM!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

It is not every 31-year-old who, in a first government job, finds himself dismantling General Motors and rewriting the rules of American capitalism. But that, in short, is the job description for Brian Deese, a not-quite graduate of Yale Law School who had never set foot in an automotive assembly plant until he took on his nearly unseen role in remaking the American automotive industry.Nor, for that matter, had he given much thought to what ailed an industry that had been in decline ever since he was born. A bit laconic and looking every bit the just-out-of-graduate-school student adjusting to life in the West Wing — “he’s got this beard that appears and disappears,” says Steven Rattner, one of the leaders of President Obama’s automotive task force — Mr. Deese was thrown into the auto industry’s maelstrom as soon the election-night parties ended.

Mr. Deese’s role is unusual for someone who is neither a formally trained economist nor a business school graduate, and who never spent much time flipping through the endless studies about the future of the American and Japanese auto industries.

Source

Please read the entire article so that you can fully appreciate how under-qualified this person is for this position. No business degree, no auto industry experience, just a law school graduate...

Its crap like this that is leading to the gutting of American Capitalism. Companies are now being taken over by the government and having grossly underqualified persons being installed in the highest positions.

This is something that is straight out of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged where the government tries to improve companies with political logic instead of business logic.

I feel that this is only the beginning "of the out of the closet" fascism and we Americans can expect much more. Hold onto your butts!

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
But hey, he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
That' just perfect.

Our own President who picked this guy has never had a real job either.

Bird of a feather . . .

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I like to make one comment regarding the age and level of knowledge you imply in the headline.

Age and knowledge have nothing to do with each other. There are people in their seventies who don't know hardly more than the current weather outside, than there are people in their twenties with a vast knowledge on things.

So, age doesn't matter at all!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by thegreatobserver

Observer, I personally agree... due to personal experience. But my sitcking point here is the lack of experience.

a not-quite graduate of Yale Law School

read that, drop out.

No formal economic training, no formal business training, no automotive experience... this is about as bad as Bush putting Sean O'Keefe in charge of NASA

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Yeah, that's right.. I forgot it was young white guys all along that made things the way they are.. for much too long, young guys every where have been at the top of all the banks and corporations.... or senate... or judges..

oops.. nope.. it was the rich old white guys.

as for being under qualified.... yeah, that's makes a huge difference these days.. because only qualified people make the best choices.

the guy "running" things in this case is just a puppet anyways.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSecretSquirrel

I've been watching this circus from the beginning. Government has taken more control over the private sector in the past five months,than has ever been recorded throughout our history. The present administration has made a statement that certaint corporations are "to big to fail" Well I'm sure with a 60% controll of GM,we are sure to see some failed programs.
When in our history has government involvment in private enterprise,ever made the situation better? Well comrads,I for one can hardly wait for my new ride,thanks to the newly formed "Government Motors"
Government owned BANKS
Government owned INSURANCE COMPANIES
Government owned AUTOMOBILE COMPANIES
COMMING SOON!!!
Government owned HOSPITALS/HEALTH CARE

It is good to be a communist no?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pynner

Touchè

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Education and experience isn't crucial for such a position, you just have to be good at obeying orders.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Oh great...I think I know the future of GM cars now...

videos.streetfire.net...

The Brits were trying to warn us...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Hudsucker Proxy anyone?

The question now is whether we're going to let John Q Public just waltz in here and buy our company.
Board Member 4: What are you suggesting Sidney? Certainly we can't afford to buy an controlling interest.
Sidney J. Mussburger: Not while the stock is this strong. How soon before Hud's paper hits the market?
Board Member 8: January 1st.
Board Member 2: 30 days.
Board Member 4: 4 weeks.
Board Member 5: A month at the most!
Sidney J. Mussburger: One month; to make the blue chip investment of the century look like a round trip ticket on the titanic.
Board Member 7: We play up the fact that Hud is dead.
All: Long live Hud!
Board Member 4: We depress the stock,
Board Member 5: To the point where we can buy 50%,
Board Member 6: 51,
Board Member 7: Not counting the mezzanine.
Sidney J. Mussburger: It could work.
Board Member 3: It should work.
Board Member 4: It would work.
Sidney J. Mussburger: It's working already. Waring Hudsucker is abstract art on Madison Avenue. What we need now is a new president who will inspire panic in the stockholder.
Board Member 6: A puppet.
Board Member 5: A proxy.
Board Member 2: A pawn.
Sidney J. Mussburger: Sure, sure. Some jerk we can really push around.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Wow
think I might apply for my green card, I have a business degree and 12 experience I think I should at least start off as the head of the fedral reserve or a senator

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Does anyone know if this guy is skull and bones? I found it highly unusual that such a young guy with no experience gets to take over one of the biggest American giants. He graduated from Yale and was part of several "foundations". Dunno.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by pynner
Yeah, that's right.. I forgot it was young white guys all along that made things the way they are.. for much too long, young guys every where have been at the top of all the banks and corporations.... or senate... or judges..

oops.. nope.. it was the rich old white guys.

as for being under qualified.... yeah, that's makes a huge difference these days.. because only qualified people make the best choices.

Give me a break.

A job on which thousands of people's livlihoods depend should not just be given to the first dingbat who comes along. Giving this idiot the job is a travesty. He has no experience of a job of this scale, and seems to know nothing about the industry. It should have gone to an industry expert from Japan or Germany, where they know how to build cars. The mind boggles...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
When in our history has government involvment in private enterprise,ever made the situation better?

It could be okay so long as they re-privatize it when (if...) it's turned the corner. No, I'm not sure I believe that either...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueShaman
Education and experience isn't crucial for such a position, you just have to be good at obeying orders.

Well then.... that makes me feel so much better. I assume the one actually giving the orders has the experience of running a huge corporation like GM then...... Oh wait......... you don't actually need to know about cars to run such a business right?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
"But he wanted to learn domestic issues as well, and soon ended up working as an assistant for Gene Sperling, who 17 years ago in the Clinton White House played a similar role as economic policy prodigy. Eventually, Mr. Deese headed to Yale for his law degree. But his e-mail box was constantly filled with messages from friends in Washington who were signing up to work for the Obama or Hillary Rodham Clinton campaigns. Mr. Deese chose Senator Clinton’s.

“He was pretty quickly functioning as the top economic policy staffer through her campaign,” Mr. Sperling said. “He could blend the policy needs and the political needs pretty seamlessly.” On the day that the Clinton campaign ended, Mr. Deese left her concession speech and received a message on his BlackBerry from a friend in the Obama campaign urging him to sign on immediately to Mr. Obama’s team"

Ummmm....he is one of Hillary's "boys"...whew,I feel better now,confidence renewed.
Not.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
ok sorry I am confused.. first people are saying that the good ole boy network is not working.. we need to change things, etc etc.
and now we get a new young guy that may just be what we need here. What difference does it make if he even knows how to change the tires on his car/ bicycle? What the president needs is someone that can go in there and NOT be pushed around. Someone that will organized things and say this is what is not working and this is where the money went to.
You think the Banks, military spending and Car manufactures are any different than each other? They have all been wasting money and this is good to find someone that doenst need to know much, he just needs to be honest, and cant be bought out , so that someone can tell the shareholders what is going on with these companies.

personally I think the govt should just let them fall to the wayside, and let the capital market decide who builds what and sells what. BUT I am certain that there are things we do not know about the big three, that the govt does know. thus keeping them up and running will keep these secrets hidden.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

You've hit the nail on the head

Hudsucker Proxy is such a brilliant film. The only thing they (board of directors) didn't see coming was the creative genius they thought would drill 'em into the ground.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The 31 year old is a puppet. He has weaknesses that are being exploited. The people at the top don't want him to know everything. He is a useful idiot in a sense.

<<   2 >>

join