It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secrecy Conceals Some Classification Costs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Secrecy Conceals Some Classification Costs

www.fas.org

Following sharp increases in the first several years after 9/11, the total estimated costs of implementing the national security classification system seem to have leveled off at around $10 billion annually, according to a new report to the President (pdf) from the Information Security Oversight Office.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: U.S. Intelligence Budget Leaked - $44b
Black Programs Listed in FY2008 Budget
U.S. government secrecy reaches historic high

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

The total cost of protecting classified information in government and industry last year was $9.85 billion, down slightly from $9.9 billion the year before, ISOO director William J. Bosanko reported.
(also) In the latest ISOO report to the President, Mr. Bosanko noted that the cost estimates for CIA, DIA, ODNI, NGA, NRO, and NSA were all classified “in accordance with Intelligence Community classification guidance.”

I can't help but weigh this in light of the Pentagon's wish to spend just over $50 billion on classified programs... and think how can the security budget be a secret... may be because it would reveal all of their operations/missions in collecting dirty laundry on every adversary, domestic and abroad, that would be a threat to the NWO's agenda? ... i would also image these figures would explain where the 2.3 trillion went missing from the pentagon's budget... which Rumsfeld conveniently revealed on Sept 12, 2001... that's September the 12th year 2001... i repeat in case no one caught the significance in timing.

Is Obama's recent public effort in review of this secrecy just a show/pacifier for those who are crying foul or is this a genuine inquiry?

www.fas.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-6-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
On a related note, one of Kennedy's more revealing speeches comes to mind:

The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it. Even today, there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in ensuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon by those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment. That I do not intend to permit to the extent that it is in my control.

Address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association on April 27th 1961

[edit on 1-6-2009 by The All Seeing I]

join