It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus Outbreak with Alarming Mortality Rate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Prompted by Valhall's recent Global Security Report for 04/29/04 item on Bangladesh's recent virus outbreak with an alarming mortality rate, as high as 74% (17 deaths out of 23 confirmed infections), I have done a bit of research on the situation.

WHO- Nipah Virus Overview

Nipah virus is a newly recognized zoonotic virus. The virus was 'discovered' in 1999. It has caused disease in animals and in humans, through contact with infectious animals. The virus is named after the location where it was first detected in Malaysia. Nipah is closely related to another newly recognized zoonotic virus (1994), called Hendra virus, named after the town where it first appeared in Australia. Both Nipah and Hendra are members of the virus family Paramyxoviridae. Although members of this group of viruses have only caused a few focal outbreaks, the biologic property of these viruses to infect a wide range of hosts and to produce a disease causing significant mortality in humans has made this emerging viral infection a public heath concern.

Scientists suspect that certain species of fruit bats most the Nipah virus, although they do not become ill from it. The vector responsible for transmission from bats to humans is currently unknown. The incubation period of the disease is between 4 and 18 days in humans with generally mild onset of �flu-like� symptoms. The symptoms may progress to inflammation of the brain (encephalitis), disorientation, convulsions, coma and death. The risk of transmission of Nipah virus from sick animals to humans is thought to be low, and transmission from person-to-person has not yet been documented, even in the context of a large outbreak. Epidemiologic characteristics of the outbreak in Bangladesh suggested the possibility of person-to-person transmission. Investigators from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization, and other international healthcare organizations have again been dispatched to collect data on the outbreaks.

Treatment
No drug therapies have yet been proven to be effective in treating Nipah infection. Treatment relies on providing intensive supportive care. There is some evidence that early treatment with the antiviral drug, Ribavirin, can reduce both the duration of feverish illness and the severity of disease. However, the efficacy of this treatment in curing disease or improving survival is still uncertain.

[More information]

CDC- Nipah Virus Encephalitis
CHPR
Health Canada - Travel Health Advisory

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I am not amazed. Outbreaks happen all the time. No one will make a big deal about it. I guarrantee it.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zuzubar
I am not amazed. Outbreaks happen all the time. No one will make a big deal about it. I guarrantee it.

Sure they will, it will happend as soon as the virus spreads to the Western countries, look at past issues for example west nile.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
And West Nile was really a joke...in NYC we got "sprayed" and everything...it only affected the weak...not outbreak worthy...this one sounds a bit more serious...Ebola is the one that still scares me....

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Thanks for doing this research and sharing this, spectre. Also, thanks for bringing to the forefront a situation that gets buried in mainstream media, the suffering and dying in this area because of this virus.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
With a 40% kill rate in humans this virii must be contained or a vaccine will be needed.

I watched a show on this and it suggested that 80 some-odd percent of all new virii come from the wild. As we encroach the wild with development more virii are expected to surface in the human population, and spread like fire since we ship and move around globally all the time.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
i believe this is a sponsored human made virus along with some others including ebola that the masters of eugenics are creating to provide there form of population control.

rumormillsnews.com...

or jubilee-newspaper.com...

welcome to the wonderful world of corporate/government/geeze i wonder who there owned by? bio terror and eugenic population control....
Seig Heil

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by watcheroftheskies]

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I am currently involved in some long-term research into the possible "weaponization" of Mycoplasma, so stories about abrupt outbreaks of virulent diseases always catch my attention. Unfortunately, there are quite a lot. This one in Bangaldesh cetainly puts "bird flu" to shame.

new topics

top topics

join