It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prosecutors: College student was budding terrorist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Prosecutors: College student was budding terrorist

hosted.ap.org

ATLANTA (AP) -- A former Georgia Tech student was a budding terrorist who took choppy videos of potential targets in Washington, D.C., hoped to join the Taliban and desperately tried to prove himself to jihadist groups overseas, prosecutors said Monday.
Nahmias has said there is no evidence the two posed an immediate threat to the United States, but stressed that their path could "lead eventually to violent activity."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This case could set a new precident in heavy handed government. With the current news story that the FBI trumped up charges against individuals in NY, how do we know that these charges are not the same.

The two are accused of "rudimentary paramilitary training" in northern Georgia in late 2004 and early 2005. And officials said Ahmed traveled to Pakistan in July 2005 to seek out Lashkar-e-Taiba, a Pakistan-based group which is linked with attacks in the disputed state of Kashmir.

So now if you recieve any training that isn't government sponsored then you are getting "paramilitary" training thus making you a threat. If this gets a conviction people who train will now be subject to investigation and possible imprisonment.

I cannot say that these men were not up to no good but likewise I can't say that they are guilty of anything. It is getting harder to trust our government and our rights are getting fewer and fewer everyday.

As the article states, they did nothing wrong. They are only suspected of being bad apples. So now if the government doesn't agree with your stance, they can create trumped up charges and arrest you. Not so good if you ask me.

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
You know I see no evidence in the article that they were proven guilty beyond a shadows of a doubt.

What happened to Innocent until proven guilty...?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
That is a real good question. I bet they are trying to use the new definitions of "terrorists" in order to detain and charge. I hope something good comes of this. This is a chace for the justice system to challenge the infringments on our rights. One can only hope.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Look at it this way -- If the govt didn't/doesn't step in and take proactive action to prevent terrorist activities and people are killed on American soil the same people will be up in arms as to why the govt doesn't/didn't protect us.

Of course this doesn't apply to 9/11 Truthers.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The only real surprise is that it took them this long to sensationalize this.

Every person who commits any type of a violent crime is going to be labeled as much-just like they did with muslims, turning the public into scared children thinking anyone who looks middle-eastern is a terrorist, they are now turning the attention to americans.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
You know I see no evidence in the article that they were proven guilty beyond a shadows of a doubt.

What happened to Innocent until proven guilty...?

Did you even read the article?

The trial only started TODAY, and the accused is still regarded as innocent until proven guilty.

Jeez, talk about jumping to conclusions

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The problem is from what it looks like all they have is hearsay and circumstantial evidence. The problem isn't that they are trying to catch terrorists but how they are going about it. Every person is capable of murder so do we arrest every one for thinking "i'd like to kill that person"?

top topics

join