It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN: Israeli buffer zone eats up 30 percent of Gaza's arable land

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

UN: Israeli buffer zone eats up 30 percent of Gaza's arable land

www.csmonitor.com

Looking to increase security, Israel dropped leaflets last week warning residents to stay at least 1,000 feet from the border or risk being shot.

Stay at least 300 meters (1,000 feet) from the border, the May 25 pamphlets advised Palestinians, or risk being shot by Israeli Defense Forces (IDF).

Farmers and their families have been displaced, too afraid to return to their fields

"The Israeli soldiers, they shoot at everything – dogs, sheep. They are very tense."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
dover.idf.il

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I wasn't going to post it because there's already a few israel-centric posts on the front page of breaking alternative, but I just had to.

And i'm not the biggest fan of csmonitor so a direct link to IDF is in the additional news links confirming the story.

It just keeps getting worse and worse and worse.
These people were already starving, many resorted to eating grass, doctors were assassinated during the gaza poundage and now farmers are too scared to.... farm.

This is just like keeping a bunch of house flies in a jar, not killing them, but just starving them to death.

Gaza is a concentration camp

This HAS to stop!!

www.csmonitor.com

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

I wasn't going to post it because there's already a few israel-centric posts on the front page of breaking alternative, but I just had to.

And i'm not the biggest fan of csmonitor so a direct link to IDF is in the additional news links confirming the story.

It just keeps getting worse and worse and worse.
These people were already starving, many resorted to eating grass, doctors were assassinated during the gaza poundage and now farmers are too scared to.... farm.

This is just like keeping a bunch of house flies in a jar, not killing them, but just starving them to death.

Gaza is a concentration camp

This HAS to stop!!

www.csmonitor.com

This has been in effect since 1985 it is nothing new. In fact they had withdrawn from this area before have to look up the date but then the UN said it was ok to maintain this zone for protection similar to the one in south korea.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I agree, but I don't think this will stop until the Palestinians give all of the strip to Israel and leave... or die. But careful with the concentration comments (even though they are becoming more true every day) or you risk being called an anti-semite (which ironically would mean that you hate palestinians as well) S&F for posting this, btw

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Well, the article does explain that the buffer zone has been in place for a while, but then goes on to explain that this is an expansion of the existing buffer zone.

What I don't understand is how/why they are shooting people 3000+ feet into the strip when the buffer zone is supposed to be 1000 feet.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Well, the article does explain that the buffer zone has been in place for a while, but then goes on to explain that this is an expansion of the existing buffer zone.

What I don't understand is how/why they are shooting people 3000+ feet into the strip when the buffer zone is supposed to be 1000 feet.

Id have to say this is a lie 3000 ft is a long shot for a rifle the maximum effective range to a point target in other words a person for an m 16 is 550 meters or 1805.05 ft anything beyond that is a lucky shot.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr
Id have to say this is a lie 3000 ft is a long shot for a rifle the maximum effective range to a point target in other words a person for an m 16 is 550 meters or 1805.05 ft anything beyond that is a lucky shot.

No it's even worse than that bro

Israel has begun deploying stationary robot gun-and-sensor installations along its borders with the Gaza Strip, according to reports.

Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) have begun deploying automated gun stations in pillboxes along the Gaza border. The robot systems are said to mount cal-fifty (12.7mm) machine guns, protected by "armoured folding shields" until ready to fire.

According to Defence News Tel Aviv correspondent Barbara Opall-Rome, "each machine gun-mounted station serves as a type of robotic sniper, capable of enforcing a nearly 1,500-meter-deep no-go zone".
www.theregister.co.uk...

1,500 along the border, so that's 500 more.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
There are plenty of videos, some having been posted on here before, showing Palestinian farmers being shot at by cowardly IDF scum. Sorry, there's no other nice way to describe them.
Many of the videos are shot by international monitors, wearing high visibility vests and calling for the shooting to stop using loudhailers, to no avail. This is not a military action, it's attempted, and sometimes actual, murder!

The Palestinians have already lost a lot of farm land, orchards and olive groves, often ripped up by Israeli bulldozers or destroyed by settlers as they steal what little the Palestinians have left. Their fishing boats come under attack by Israeli gun boats without any provocation or wrongdoing. It's all simply designed to slowly starve the population inside their Israeli created ghetto.
Now, are we not persistently driven on a decades old guilt trip over alleged actions of another state against the Jews? Yet here they are doing the same thing and wailing that they are the victim, defending themselves yet again from persecution. Actions speak louder than words from where I stand, and their actions show them to be the aggressor and the oppressor.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Robot guns paid for by the US taxpayer. They have everyone screwed every which way you look at it.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Look at these monsters

image from:
www.wired.com...

I don't know what to say

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
There are plenty of videos, some having been posted on here before, showing Palestinian farmers being shot at by cowardly IDF scum. Sorry, there's no other nice way to describe them.
Many of the videos are shot by international monitors, wearing high visibility vests and calling for the shooting to stop using loudhailers, to no avail. This is not a military action, it's attempted, and sometimes actual, murder!

You know those monitors and aid workers are often murdered themselves?

www.guardian.co.uk...

Notice how the IDF initially lied by claiming he was wearing camouflage combat fatigues and welding a gun, and then proceeded to exonerate the soldier. Only under immense international pressure did they then change the charges to accidental death, then finally to manslaughter.

Yet more evidence of Israeli lies and cover-ups of apartheid, abuse and murder, when will they be held accountable?

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Goathief]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

It makes me sick to my stomach. The weaponry being used against these people is bought and paid for by our tax dollars.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by milesp

This video is propaganda put out by hezbollah These people new they entered a restricted zone as soon as you enter a restricted area proximity alarms sound that is why some of them were smart enough to stay back and the woman said aren't you going to come with us? The rules of engagement along the zone is once you trip the proximity sensors you are to turn around failure to do this is a hostile act and a threat upon which you will be fired upon.

They regularly send people up to IDF positions it is training the idf not to shoot They will have people walk up to there positions waving flags wearing brightly colored vests with bull horns begging not to be shot all the while getting closer and closer to there position. The reason the IDF set up this perimeter is to prevent people from getting close enough to kill there soldiers. This has become a major problem for the IDF in the fact that soldiers were ignoring orders allowing people to approach and getting killed.

The people in this video are counting on the fact that the Israeli soldiers dont want to kill them.If they did i think thats a tow mount on that jeep and if they used that there wouldn't be anyone standing.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Propaganda is something that the IDF are very good at. They probably put the restricted zone in this farmers field. Who are they to say where the restricted zone goes on somebody elses land.?? Have you any proof this was propaganda??

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I don't blame Israel for wanting a nice, reasonable buffer. In years past, these clowns were approaching the border, snatching Israeli soldiers, and many were never seen again.

I had my own personal buffer in combat. I didn't give two damns about whether he had his hands up or not. One way or another, he was going to stop at a suitable distance from me, or I'd stop him.

Rocking chair pseudo-intelligensia will criticize the move as being cruel or unreasonable. There are practical reasons for this buffer, and in the long term, it saves lives on both sides.

You don't have to like it.

It works, and that's the key element.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sueloujo

Propaganda is something that the IDF are very good at. They probably put the restricted zone in this farmers field. Who are they to say where the restricted zone goes on somebody elses land.?? Have you any proof this was propaganda??

Lets start with the obvious a bunch of college kids roaming around with reflective vests obviously wants to be spotted right. You can tell the video was edited because even the sequences are out of order.If you listen you hear the proximity sensor they didnt edit all that out just most of it but listen its obviously behind them.They continue to walk towards people firing at them, I thought this in itself would be an obvious clue. And If they weren't there to instigate this scene looks like they certainly came prepared for it.

Oh and a PS here that was not a farmers feild certain people can use the land in the zone for farming but there is strict regulations on who can enter the field and what can be grown there are height restrictions for the crops. Often times farmers who are authorized to be in a field but if other people approach they are putting that farmer in danger. and could get them all killed!

[edit on 6/1/09 by dragonridr]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

No sorry..that explanation does not wear with me. College kids? I certainly dont agree with that. Wearing high viz jackets so as to be seen and not shot...seems like common sense to me. They continue so that they can carry on working and to be honest if I was a UN worker I would carry on too.
I tell you what...you seem to know this field and who owns it as you state its not a farmer's field...it certainly does not belong to Israel...tell us all please...and then tell us why think this "existence" is so totally right.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
I don't blame Israel for wanting a nice, reasonable buffer.

ummmm nice?
there's friggin robot gunners along the border, nothing nice about them

And then to imply that THEY deserved it?????

Did Palestinians occupy Israel?
Has Palestine been controlling all of Israel's supply lines 60 years?
Has Israel been living in absolute poverty for decades because of the Palestinian occupation?

Did Palestine attack Israel during the attack assassinate doctors, stop medical supplies from helping countries or even the red cross?

Is every main thoroughfare in Israel controlled by Palestinian checkpoints and do Palestinian security forces and tanks patrol Israeli streets?

Your perspective is severely skewed my friend.
You are an oppressor's apologist, plain and simple.

I don't know if you are just pro-israel or you just hate muslims by default.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sueloujo

No sorry..that explanation does not wear with me. College kids? I certainly dont agree with that. Wearing high viz jackets so as to be seen and not shot...seems like common sense to me. They continue so that they can carry on working and to be honest if I was a UN worker I would carry on too.
I tell you what...you seem to know this field and who owns it as you state its not a farmer's field...it certainly does not belong to Israel...tell us all please...and then tell us why think this "existence" is so totally right.

Not my judgment if its right or wrong,I will say the buffer zone is a good idea whenever you have 2 groups who dont get along. From environmental to military disputes, buffer zones are often used to defuse or avert conflict. This only fails when people enter those zones and i didnt see anyone forcing these peopleAnd trust me that woman was not a farmer shes cute but not a farmer, that must lead to the obvious conclusion they are instigating a conflict even you must agree unless of course you have closed your mind to the fact that there is 2 sides to every story.Truth is restrictions along these areas go up then down it continually changes depending on the threat hezzbolah makes. Before they started up there latest rocket launches last year you could approach within 50 meters.Have a friend who is an officer with the IDF also might interest you to know hes what you would consider a Palestinian. Did you know they have other people in the IDF besides jews?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Dude those guns are being pointed at hungry starving blockaded people
they aren't being pointed at the oppressors trying to steal land

kinda one-sided don't you think?

you talk as if it's good for both parties lol and it's equally fair and mutually beneficial

or were you being sarcastic?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join