It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of America, “Gone Without a Whimper”

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

At what point did our country begin the steep drop into oblivion? If we are at the point of violent revolution, where can we sign up? My letters to our representatives either get no reply or a long winded "Thanks for letting me know how you feel, now move along with your life" letters.

They don't care anymore. They just go through the motions and get a paycheck and look forward to retirement.

The letter I received in response to my disgust with our government and specifically the abuses inherent to the Patriot Act:

Dear Mr. : Thank you for contacting me regarding the reauthorization of the USA PATRIOT Act (P.L.107-56). I appreciate hearing your views on this matter. The USA Patriot Act was enacted in 2001 in response to the terrorist attacks of September 11th. It gave law enforcement important new tools to use to combat terrorism. However, as I stated when the Senate originally passed this bill, the Patriot Act is not perfect. That is why Congress sunset some of its more controversial provisions. Among the provisions with sunsets was a provision that made it easier for the FBI to obtain sensitive records, such as library, medical and business records, of American citizens who may not even be suspected of wrongdoing. The Patriot Act’s sunsets, which would have taken effect on December 31, 2005, gave Congress the opportunity to revisit the law so that we can adequately protect both the security of our nation and the civil liberties of American citizens. On July 29, 2005, the Senate unanimously passed the USA PATRIOT Act Improvement and Reauthorization Act (S.1389). The House of Representatives passed a different version of the bill (H.R.3199) on July 21, 2005. The House-passed bill contained controversial provisions that were not included in the bill passed by the Senate. In addition, the House-passed bill left out important civil liberties safeguards that were included in the Senate-passed bill. Subsequently, a House-Senate Conference Committee, of which I was a member, was convened to reconcile the differences between the two bills. The bill that emerged from conference committee contained insufficient protections for the civil liberties of American citizens and concerns were raised by a large number of Democratic and Republican Senators. I joined this bipartisan group in opposing ending debate on the bill until those concerns were addressed. As a result, the Senate was unable to move to a final vote on the USA PATRIOT Act reauthorization legislation at that time. However, I supported two short extensions to the Patriot Act to provide time to correct flaws in the bill. In the weeks that followed, there were a number of efforts to improve the conference report. While I supported and voted for legislation (S.2271) that resulted from those efforts, I was disappointed that S.2271 did not include important civil liberties protections that previously passed the Senate. I was also troubled that Senators were blocked by the use of parliamentary tactics from even offering amendments that would have addressed many of my concerns. For example, the original Senate-passed bill achieved a reasonable middle ground between the standard that existed prior to the Patriot Act and that which the Patriot Act established for the FBI to access sensitive records of American citizens with so-called Section 215 court orders. Section 215 orders can compel libraries and doctors offices, for example, to provide sensitive personal information to the government about American citizens who may not even be suspected of wrongdoing. Unlike the Senate-passed bill, neither S. 2271 nor the final Patriot Act Reauthorization legislation included language to prevent fishing expeditions into the private lives of innocent Americans. As a result, I could not support the final conference report. My complete statement on this matter can be found on my website at [levin.senate.gov...]. Thank you again for contacting me. Sincerely, Carl Levin

This letter was nothing more than a "Them dang house reps keep shootin down every decent civil-liberty-loving thang we Senetors do" rant. No answers. Just a blame-game.

We're screwed.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I don't think it has gone "without a whimper."

This is the country where the "shot heard 'round the world" originated. There is more where that came from.

The believers in the constitution are hunkered down, stocked up, psyched up and ready to do that which needs to be done.

As I have said before, there haven't been enough guns and ammo sold every month since November to outfit the entire Chinese military, each month, so people can be assured of their duck hunting.

There is indeed a rifle behind every blade of grass.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513

yes that is true but the difference is when we lived in ussr we knew we were being fed propaganda. Here very few people realize this fact. They take cnn/fox as gospel and they think this dumycrat/republithug government would never lie to the people. What a joke.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I think many Americans are aware of what's going on, but they are afraid to accept it. As I'm sure it is taught in schools currently as it was when I was in elementary and high school is that we are told how great, invincible, powerful the united states of american is. Our school systems teach it to where we are made to believe the rest of the world are ignorant savages that aren't as smart or nearly as great as us. With only some exceptions, both world wars make it seem like it was the USA that ended and single handedly won both wars because the other countries involved just couldn't do it right. Basically it's this piece of mind that most Americans have in them that isn't just going to go away. It's much safer to believe that the U.S can never be broken, never fall, and never cease to exist rather than face the possiblity of those happening.

People are tired of hearing bad things that go on on the news, they get tired of hearing about the war, the economy, murders, corruption, everyday MSM news, they are tired of it. They complain there is nothing good ever reported, it's always doom and gloom. But when something good does happen, even though the news reporter reporting it doesn't sound thrilled about reporting good news at all, in fact they sound disappointed. But most Americans hate hearing good news, they hate hearing about someone who was poor and struggled their whole lives have gotten a break an they won the lottery, or invented something, or opened a sucessful business. They don' t even like hearing about a cat being rescued from a tree.

In fact they get mad because someone other than them are now getting rich, while they continue to work everyday (or collect government checks every month, and complain about not getting enough), that person needs to know what it's like to fail. Which is why Americans (and I'm sure people from other countries do as well) love to watch a celebrity, even if they aren't to bad of a person, fall hard. They eat it up, they love watching someone suffer. Many Americans are jealous, bitter, spoiled, arrogant, stupid and getting more stupid, selfish people. When a doctor decides to leave the comforts of his country and lend his services to help the sick in a poverish country to get a reality check, most Americans roll their eyes, throw their arms in the air, or whatever and complain about the people that are suffering here, but yet they themselves would rather drive off a cliff than ever helping someone.

It's more comfortable lighting up another cigarette, sitting in the long formed dent the shape of your butt watching some pointless tv drama or "reality" show and complaining about what is wrong with country, but they never leave that couch. A parent(s) of family that are living in a section eight apartment with six kids, only one parent, getting stamps and checks from the government as you don't work ,but you see 150 dollar jordans on the parents feet, purchasing 2-3 cartons of smokes a week, and of course a Lincoln Navigator in the drive way complain how they can't get out of their bad neighborhood or are not getting the "opportunities" that others get, and complain that they aren't getting enough money are never going to complain how the country is falling apart. That would mean they would lose all that government aid (tax payer money) and they would actually have to work and be responsible.

Another problem is that modern American's haven't had to face what our parents have had to face because the parents of the current generation were 80's children that saw the end of the cold war. Before that there was the Vietnam war era, beginnings of the cold war, the space race, the Korean war, both world wars, the depression, spanish american war, civil war, and so on. The past 20-30 years have been an easy ride for Americans in comparison to those other decades. We try to say that 9/11 is the worst thing in history, but that doesn't compare. It may have been visually a lot more scary, but people don't even care about that anymore, just old news, next.

That's another problem, we get bored with everything to quickly, could that be because of the MSM with a plot behind it to make people like that, or is it just how we are evolving as a nation? "It's so boring hearing about soldiers getting blown up, it's so old can they just pull those troops out or something, I'm so tired of hearing this stuff, change the subject, please!"We are the me, me, me/now, now, now generation. We never had to face harships, maybe that is why so many wrenches have been thrown in our system. Is it for the purpose of toughening us up again, or is it just some social experiement by TPTB to see how soft we have become? People are so used to movies, where the bad stuff happens, but then in one hour the good guys beat the bad guy, get the girl and live happily ever after that they for some reason forget that life is not actually like that?

I remember even making a joke recently about our demise to my girlfriends family, they looked at me like I was crazy, not because they were insulted but because they had no idea how I could come up with some weird comment like that. I even remember, several years ago talking about how a civil war is likely to break out in the country if things don't improve, I got laughed at. People take comfort in being ignorant. Ignorance, is ok, we are all ignorant to an extent. It's natural. But if you are presented the facts in a clear, straight forward, no B.S/sugar coating way to an ignorant person, but they still will not accept it even though you can provide proof and a good arguement for it, then they are stupid. The way I see it, why dumb everything down for the stupid fools if they don't want to learn anything anyway. I say just ignore the stupid and reach out to those that do want to listen.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by James Random
Everyone except americans knows better about what is happening in America. You might think this sounds like I'm being exceedingly ignorant, but I'm not.

You're absolutely correct, the major portion of this country keeps their heads in La La Land and haven't got a clue as to whats going on, they know about Obamas night out in NYC but nothing about GM. The only way this society is going to wake up is if we get invaded by a foreign power, nationwide power outage for a few weeks or a serious shortage of food and etc. I'm sorry but the average Joe in this country is basically stupid when it comes to the welfare of America. We have a Real Wake-Up Call coming and it's going to "Smack" the unprepared right between the eyes.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Boomer1941]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kombatt98

Hello Kombat,
Interesting point of view. Are you Russian or from a country once part of the Soviet Union. I agree with what you have stated but have never heard of Stalin cast in that light. I'd like to hear more.
Thanks.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I have come to the conclusion that there really isn't any difference in the two parties in Washington. They just have different techniques of screwing you. People---they are the same. Both parties work for a puppet master that owns them both.
Ask yourself, why doesn't anything change??? Have we had change you can believe in??-"no we haven't". Has the US position on foreign affairs "really" changed???? Not really... The words have changed, but the results are the same.
There was a concerted effort under Bush to slowly get where we're at now. Obama is just finishing us off. There is NO difference in the parties. They are working toward the same goal. The majority of representatives in Washington don't answer to you, they answer to thier puppet master--the ruling elite. That's why they can get any legislation they want passed.
Capatilism is dying right in front of our face. get used to it. it's not over.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Ummm... Pravda translated to English means "truth".

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boomer1941

Originally posted by James Random
Everyone except americans knows better about what is happening in America. You might think this sounds like I'm being exceedingly ignorant, but I'm not.

You're absolutely correct, the major portion of this country keeps their heads in La La Land and haven't got a clue as to whats going on, they know about Obamas night out in NYC but nothing about GM. The only way this society is going to wake up is if we get invaded by a foreign power, nationwide power outage for a few weeks or a serious shortage of food and etc. I'm sorry but the average Joe in this country is basically stupid when it comes to the welfare of America. We have a Real Wake-Up Call coming and it's going to "Smack" the unprepared right between the eyes.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Boomer1941]

Yes its front page of new york post obamas in nyc, forget as goes gm so goes united states. Thats not relevant anymore. I think you can only apreciate this if you'v lived in other countries.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I don't know that I would call this article propaganda as much as I would call it an opinion or and editorial. There are opinions all over the media world. When looking at this piece with an open mind, it should give one the urge to pause, to think. If there is anything a group of individuals in power would want to fulfill an agenda it is to gain complete control through consent instead of force. It saddens me that there are people in my country so willing to pick any side except the side that matters the most... the side of self.

We were supposed to be a country of self determination but we are no different than many of the great empires of history... a relatively small group though well intentioned is imposing its will on the masses. Our country was built on the pretense that its citizens are free and should have the right to pursue life, liberty and happiness. Everything that is happening in this country which is eroding before our eyes is happening because our founding fathers warned us that it would. These lessons were never taught in school.

"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”
~Benjamin Franklin

“I am of a sect by myself, as far as I know”
~Thomas Jefferson

“Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.”
~George Washington

I could go on, but I feel I am preaching to a choir.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by akoola111

I agree... My grandfather used to tell me stories about Il Duce and his "corporate state". Here's his definition from the Encyclopedia Italiana, 1932.

"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Exactly WHAT percentage of GM does the Treasury now own???

Nevermind... the messiah is in NYC... Much more important.

If people can't see that we've crossed the point of no return, they're lost causes... I agree with Nenothtu that there are "salvagable" folks, but even their ranks are thinning.

You're awake by now, or you're going to stay sleeping.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Good luck.

Turn as many of those rifles pointed at you back onto their masters as possible. Drones in the service to the master can still be made to understand, and turning a soldier to your side is better than winning any fight.

Take over some TV stations
Make them put Ron Paul on loop

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Good luck.

Turn as many of those rifles pointed at you back onto their masters as possible. Drones in the service to the master can still be made to understand, and turning a soldier to your side is better than winning any fight.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Just writing, in response to the OP on one idea.

I'll admit I didn't read your whole post, but the first idea that popped into my head was.
Most Americans I think, are extremely busy and rarely care to even watch the news, and when we do its our corrupt side of the media we see. we obviously don't see the whole picture because it is rarely ever produced to us or the masses as a whole.
So the little snippet we see is far from the whole picture. I would be amazed to see, If the masses could see the whole picture and be ok with it.. but then again I don't think any of us can see it.. A lot of people probably think "what can I do? I'm just one person".. Maybe I'm a little biased of my fellow Americans or maybe I have hope in they're will and fortitude, as well as my own.

p.s. sorry I didn't read your whole post, but I have # to do

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
"Pravda" means Truth in English. The Truth is the article is absolutely correct. I have a business partner in Moscow and I go there occasionally. Capitalism is rampant in Russia and the former Soviet Union. America has become a joke to them, Russian businessmen now refer to the U.S. as "New Africa".

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon
Good luck.

On that topic... Interesting thing, I actually happen to remember reading that one with enough computer hacking knowledge. One could essentially build a cheap "TV station" so to speak, where you could send a TV signal of your video (ron paul) have it interfere with the MSM signal, and instead of people watching NBC or whatever, they can end up watching what YOU choose them to see. The brilliant part of this? You can easily built it on to a moving vehicle, use a laptop as well, making it difficult for you to be accurately traced (since you're constantly on the move)

So if any patriots out there have enough knowledge on this, you might consider this an option to get the message out there to people

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SGTChas

i agree chaz. i have posted this in other threads but won't hurt to say again "this is the calm before the storm". while people think that the average american or poor lowley american is a sleep, don't forget some sleep with one eye open! i sleep with both partially open. thepeople i think had enough in oct 2008 and took some futile steps to change the course this nation is on and the government people didn't listen, and now they are preparing silently going about their business. i was labled tin foil beanie man in 1991 with ghw bush sr., and his speach with nwo intent. day one 911 i stuck my neck out and friends and family still quacked when i told them about hillery and china's relationship which sherman scholnicks reports revealed way back before 911 about bankrupting the republic! now sherman was right and i will get my tin foil hat on that has a teather to ground! will explain i one wants to know why i ground mine. anyway prepare silently and wait the trumpet blast and may god bless us all!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SGTChas

You have got to be nutz... what does a Russian Rag know about America?

Puhlease!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Question

I have been in IT for 11 years and do very senior level infrastructure / server / network administration for very large organizations.

Just trust me when I say that would not be so easy to do much less from a moving vehicle and a laptop. Not going to happen. In fact near impossible.

You have a better chance of Obama getting on TV and telling the truth himself.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Anonymous Avatar]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Common American Phobic viewpoint. However, might I ask if you even READ the article before your knee jerk reaction?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join