It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico, Canada to U.S.? Passport Now Required

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Mexico, Canada to U.S.? Passport Now Required

abcnews.go.com

Previously, Americans returning from Canada by land had to present a driver's license and birth certificate to prove identification and citizenship. But as of June 1, Americans will need to present a valid travel document to enter the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean islands and Bermuda.

What's a valid travel document? A regular passport, a new passport card, a "trusted traveler" card or an "enhanced driver's license," which states the person's nationality. Children under the age of 16 will not be required to have the travel documentation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Woo-hoo...So now you can't even DRIVE out of the country (if you ever want to come back) without a passport or an "enhanced" driver's license....

Restrict everyones ability to travel, unless they follow our rules and have the proper ok's from big brother.

Perhaps they can just graduate to the next step---International travel only allowed to those with the microchip implant. lol

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
If I ever travelled out of the country, even in the same continent, I would always bring my passport.

This is fine.

This might help curb illegal immigration as well.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
S&F.

Canada's had this one in the works for a while. Has to do with all those accusations about terrorist traffic. ...And legal harmonization under NAFTA and the Northern Hemisphere union.

...Those agreements are designed to make TRADE easier and more profitable, not to improve individual lives. Profits before people, remember?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
More, FYI -

Passports, please: New border rules take effect

Border guards began requesting passports as Canadians crossed into the United States on Monday as the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative officially took effect just after midnight.

Anyone who doesn't have a passport will still being allowed to cross the border for the next few weeks, as long as they have such things as a birth certificate and picture identification.

But those without a passport will be given a paper that says: "Non-compliant. You are not in compliance with the secure document requirements that went into effect June 1, 2009, for entry into the United States."

"U.S. and Canadian citizens must present a secure travel document for entry into the United States at land and sea ports of entry."

...The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, an anti-terrorism policy passed by Congress in 2004, requires travellers 16 and older who are entering the United States from Canada by land or sea to carry one of the following:

* Passport.
* NEXUS card.
* Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card.
* Enhanced driver's licence (EDL) or an enhanced identification card (EIC) from a province where a U.S.-approved EDL/EIC program has been implemented.
* Secure Certificate of Indian Status (when this certificate is available and approved by the United States).

...There are no changes to border identification rules when entering Canada. Travellers with a valid driver's licence and proof of citizenship can still enter Canada from the United States without a passport.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

It's only a matter of time until you need one of these documents to travel between the states, or by air.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

U.S. border guards 'flexible' over new rules

Jun 01, 2009 04:30 AM
Comments on this story (22)
Nicole Baute
STAFF REPORTER

The American border tightens today – sort of.

Despite new documentation requirements coming into effect today, Canadians will still be allowed across the U.S. border without a passport or enhanced driver's licence during this summer travel season.

They'll just be scolded a little.

"We're going to be flexible, we're going to go on a case-by-case basis," said Joanne Ferreira, spokesperson for U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

"Travellers that do not have the documents, they might face delays as our (border) officers will have to confirm their identity and citizenship," she said.

"But we're encouraging travellers to continue with their travel plans and to apply for their documents – if they don't have them, to apply now."

so it looks like the issue isnt quite as immediately and strictly enforced as the OP's article, but im sure the boarder between the US and mexico is getting more severe and immediate treatment.

oops forgot to source: www.thestar.com...

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Kevin_X1]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Correct me If I'm wrong but I believe these new passports also include the RFID chip. These have become the rage in the military and earlier this year or last there were quite a few ads regarding the "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative". The biggest boon of it was being able to chip everyone without having to really tell anyone about it.

If anyone has one that could verify though, that'd be a big plus.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

It's only a matter of time until you need one of these documents to travel between the states, or by air.

This is what I am starting to think as well.

TPTB appear to be trying everything they can to restrict peoples ability to travel and navigate, i.e. the ever-ridiculous "watch-lists", etc...

It is all about control, make no mistake about it.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Our Canadian passports don't have a "chip" yet (or so they tell us) the enhanced driver's licence will contain the chip, perhaps we will have to get it next renewal time, but I don't worry about it 'cause I figure they already have us chipped via credit cards cell phones bank cards and whatever else they feel like. I don't think out governments will ask our permission when they decide to chip everyone it'll just happen like everything else, I don't think we can escape it even if we try. Seriously though why bother with the chip? Customs agents were able to look up anything they needed to in 5 seconds previously from just a name and DOB. I guess the chip prevents fraud? The fraudsters will figure that out also probably already have!

top topics

join