It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freaky giant squids

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
You ever hear of the "Bloop" sound?

Its interesting that you bring that up as it was also covered in the USO thread (if its the same one).

Tenth post down:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Still have no idea what they were though

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
reply to post by karl 12

You ever hear of the "Bloop" sound?

Yes indeed I"ve heard of Bloop! Still unidentified as to exactly what made the sound as far as I know.

For what its worth, "Bloop" is just the most famous of the unidentifed undersea sounds NOAA has heard.

There are actually 5 more. At least 5 they have shared.

You can hear them all (including "Bloop") at the link below.

NOAA Acoustics Monitoring Program - Mystery Sounds

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
i think its really fascinating how many realy cool animals there could be living in the sea that we dont know of

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
reply to post by jkrog08

One day soon we actually might find inelligent life apart from the Dolphins.

they are all intelligent in their own way. They live in a totally different world.
Humans don't have a clue about the great oceans and who live there,
including the Gray's.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I think the giant squid was the first step in proving there is something to all the old sailor myths that have been carried on. If the giant squid is real, then could all that sea serpent talk be too?

Good question.

If this myth was proven real, then couldn't that one?

You have to think about how big the oceans are. There could literally be a creature in the ocean the size of Texas and we would have never found it.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
^^^^^^ imagine if a creature of that size was real, couldnt imagine what it would be like. But you are right about the sea serpent myths, y cant those be real? For hundreds of years people didnt believe the Kraken existed and now we have both the Giant Squid and the Colossal Squid.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I dont think there is something absolutely huge down there ie over 300ft.Yes the ocean is a big place but something like that wouldn't go unnoticed if it was near the surface.To get that large and sustain itself it would have to have a good diet and to go unseen probably means it would live in the deepest depths of the ocean where thats simply not possible...but you never know!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
I dont think there is something absolutely huge down there ie over 300ft.Yes the ocean is a big place but something like that wouldn't go unnoticed if it was near the surface.To get that large and sustain itself it would have to have a good diet and to go unseen probably means it would live in the deepest depths of the ocean where thats simply not possible...but you never know!

but giant squids live down that deep dont they
so huge animals down there could eat them

i belive there are sea serpents as well down in the ocens

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Check out this bad boy!

accidentally caught on film by the shell oil company when they were drilling at a depth of 2.5km

LINK TO FULL ARTICLE / PICTURES

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by suziwong
Check out this bad boy!

accidentally caught on film by the shell oil company when they were drilling at a depth of 2.5km

LINK TO FULL ARTICLE / PICTURES

Suzy -great post -thats one freaky critter!

Loved the top ten squid facts

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Giant Jellyfish

Got to be photoshopped right?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8df014aa9091.jpg[/atsimg]
www.calvintang.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Not necessarily, there are gargantuan species of jellies out there. Don't know if I would swim towards it though. Seems like an act of stupidity.

Here is the video of that squid.

LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THOSE TENTACLES!!

[edit on 15-6-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Holy crap! Thats one huge jellyfish!!

Loved the giant squid movie!

saw it on the discovery channel a while back. It blows the mind and just goes to show you how freakin wild,cool,and mysterious this planet is!!!

There are so many different life forms on this planet, much of which we have yet to discover! Giant squid are only the tip of the iceburg I bet.

I know they attack whales, but I wonder what other creatures we don't know about that they eat or try to eat?

They are true monsters! But jusging from thier size, they can't just live off of whales or other squid, the way they have evolved as large as they are and as mean as they appear to be to me suggests some there might other monster down there that they hunt or possibly run from??!?!

Myth is almost always based on some sort of truth, the giant squid being one true myth. What other crazy myths from the past does the finding of the giant squid suggest could be true?

They would need very large prey or they would not of evolved as large I would think.

Just wait until someone discovers mega-halibut!!

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Holy crap! Thats one huge jellyfish!!

Darkblade,thanks for the reply -I think the jellyfish image may very well be photoshopped as there is the same pic here with no diver in it: diverssite.com...

Also:

Cyanea capillata (the lion's mane jellyfish) is said to be the biggest jellyfish known, reaching 35 meters of lenght and 2 metres of width.

wiki.answers.com...

I bet giant squids love to munch on those.

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Rare image of a sperm whale feasting on a giant squid

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c431dc3c60fa.jpg[/atsimg]

The captivating pictures show adult sperm whales feasting on a rare giant squid. Though the squid looks small beside the enormous whales, it is thought to be an incredible eight to ten metres long.
And experts now think the pictures could be some of the rarest ever captured beneath the ocean's surface...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

You or anyone else on this thread ever of of cthulhu? The link is just underlying info, my friend Dj did some research and found that there was in ancient times people who did worship this thing and that Lovecraft travelled around and picked the story up from people in China and i want to say Middle east who still worshipped it and wrote of what he knew and incorporated it in his work. They also made a movie out of it aswell, although it wasn't what I expected(has gay scenes literally) it showed a cult utterly devoted to them.

entertainment.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this wonderful thread.
Apparently I missed it when it was first posted. Thanks for the update to bump it. It caught my eye.

I think the reason we don't see as many sighting of these and possibly other giant sea creatures is do to the fact that we are now using much larger, loud and faster vesicles. Correct me if I'm wrong here, aren't most sea mammals/fish sensitive to sound? It seems to me that most could hear loud noisy ships approaching and simply avoid them.

This however doesn't seem the case with whales they cruise along whether there is a ship or not. Back in the day of sailing ships when we hear about great sea beasts attacking ships there were no noisy engines and the Great Sailing ships where most of these stories originate were very small compared to modern shipping.

Some have speculated that Giant squid eat smaller aquatic mammals, Young Whales & Dolphins etc. So potentially from the giant squids perspective looking up at the bottom of a old sailing ship it could have given the appearance of a whale or some large fish floating on the surface either dead or dying. It seems logical to assume that they would grab hold of this potential meal.

I agree we need to explore our oceans.
It has been said that we know more about Earth's moon and Mars than we know about our own oceans here on Earth.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I love that episode of Monster Quest. I would be scared seeing that thing below me in the water. The clip of that giant was amazing. The technique of strapping a camera to a smaller squid was smart. They made a second episode trying the same thing to recapture the giant, but this attempt failed.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
...... Woe !!!!!!!

... reminds me of my ex - mother-in-law !!!!!!!!!

..... beware of the isobel !!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by agentofchaos

You or anyone else on this thread ever of of cthulhu?

Hey - everybody loves Cthulhu!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/68a5ad357d34.jpg[/atsimg]

Originally posted by agentofchaos
Lovecraft travelled around and picked the story up from people in China and i want to say Middle east who still worshipped it and wrote of what he knew and incorporated it in his work.
entertainment.howstuffworks.com...

Didn't know that -thanks for the link.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join