It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli settlers attack Palestinians in West Bank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Israeli settlers attack Palestinians in West Bank

www.pr-inside.com

NABLUS, West Bank (AP) - Mobs of Jewish settlers went on a rampage in the West Bank Monday, attacking Palestinian laborers and setting fire to agricultural land to protest against an Israeli government crackdown on unauthorized outposts in the territory.

Palestinian laborers riding on a minivan were injured when stone-throwing settlers attacked them, the workers said.

Monday's violence was all deep inside the West Bank, where most of the hard-line settlements are located.
It started overn
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Anyone remember Kristallnacht?
Isn't it amazing how much the tables have turned?
It's almost surreal.

Those israeli settlements are illegal, but they stay there because their holy book says it's their place to stay. But if the palestinians did this, IDF would bombard them and start a white phosphorus shower demo. And then after killing many innocent people they will just say that they got attacked first.

This is riduculous

www.pr-inside.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Just for the record: "Kristallnacht" is an euphemism that was used in the black ages, it means crystal-night. The better term is Progromnacht

On topic: I'm sure there have been plenty of these attacks, by the israelian military and by the citizens. But it was not reported. Now, only because Obama demanded a stop of the settlers, main-stream media dares to open the mouth. Sh!t democracy

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Kind of remind me of the antics of the Klu Klux Klan. Only this time it has government support.

Scums of the earth!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wachstum
Just for the record: "Kristallnacht" is an euphemism that was used in the black ages, it means crystal-night. The better term is Progromnacht

Eyerolling at people's ignorance of your language? While we're on the subject of pedantry, the better term is dark ages, not black ages.

As for this being reported because of Obama's posturing, no I don't think so.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
In my opinion these settlements are illegal and they should be bulldozed and the people sent back to their own land. They think they can make life unbearable for the plaestian people and therefore advance and build more and more...eventually taking over all the areas. If they are stopped now and the buildings brought to the ground...they would think twice about doing it again.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I am so tired of the entitlement attitude of the Israeli settlers. If the Israelites really felt that God gave them the Holy Land, then they would not have walked away from it. Their country would have been there all along and the United Nations would not have had to mandate them some land.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazyninja

Yes, i do care about the difference between kristall or progrom. You call it pedantry, me i don't

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by A Conscience
Kind of remind me of the antics of the Klu Klux Klan. Only this time it has government support.

Scums of the earth!

How does this have government support? How can you make such a statement?

This is not a conspiracy, it's not a cover up - it was reported in Israel's own media - and 10 arrests were made! So how does this imply government complicity?

Guess what. This is an area of the world with racial and sectarian tensions, which often results in violence. Similar things happen in Ulster, Britain, America, Canada, Germany, France, Belgium, Holland, EVERY DAMN DAY.

So why, please tell me, does this warrant your vicious and constant attacks on Israel?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

Oh really? Let me tell you a story. Some months ago, there was a documentary film on TV of two Dutch students: a Palestinian refugee and a Jewish girl born in Amsterdam. They went to Israel and the Palestinian territories to better understand the situation. They for instance visited families in the southern parts of Israel who are threatened on a daily basis by rockets coming from the Gaza strip.

They talked to both Israeli's and Palestinians. One Palestinian family that refused to sell their house to Israeli settlers was harassed on a daily basis. There children were thrown rocks on, their door had to be barricaded due to the settler aggression, yet they refused to leave their house. They also talked to some of the settler kids who said that God gave them this land and they have every right to make these ''terrorists'' disappear.

Having seen all of this, the Jewish girl (who had lived for some time in Israel) broke into tears, saying that most Israelis in the predominantly Jewish parts of Israel have no idea about such things happening. A couple months later, the house had been burnt down by the settlers. Fortunately, the family managed to escape.

The last time I checked, such things don't happen in Holland. So stop your ignorant talks and educate yourself. Instead of sitting behind your TV watching Fox you should maybe go there and figure it out yourself.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

I do agree with that
Most israelis living outside of Israel have no idea this is going on

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

The last time I checked, such things don't happen in Holland. So stop your ignorant talks and educate yourself. Instead of sitting behind your TV watching Fox you should maybe go there and figure it out yourself.

Interesting, I seem to remember a Muslim school being bombed in Eindhoven in 2004? And what about the petrol bomb attacks on churches in Utrecht and Amersfoot in the same year?

What about the assassination of Theo Van Gogh?

(By the way I don't watch Fox, I'm British).

I'm sure Israel has its share of racial tension, same as any other country with mixed populations with opposed ideologies. And the same as any other country it has a range of attitudes with the majority moderate and the minority becoming progressively more extreme. Sometimes those people use violence, either out of frustration or for political purposes.

Extremism is a result of fear, victimhood and injustice. These are things that are easy to manipulate and encourage as history has taught us.

What's important is to remain calm and remember that we're all just people, and we all have the same feelings and emotions, just different ways of seeing the world.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

How does this have government support? How can you make such a statement?

This is not an isolated incident. It goes on all the time and nothing much have been done to curb these harrasments.

I applaud the Israeli human rights group who recently provided video cameras to Palestinian farmers to capture the violent activities of the settlers, which would otherwise be undocumented.

"Footage of West Bank attack Footage from a video camera handed out by an Israeli human rights group appears to show Jewish settlers beating up Palestinians in the West Bank. An elderly shepherd, his wife and a nephew said they were attacked by four masked men for allowing their animals to graze near the settlement of Susia."

I'll let the rest speak for itself.

At 9.30pm 25 settlers arrived by car to Palestinian land near the illegal outpost of Asaeel. The settler mob walked up to the home of a farming family and told them to leave, whereupon they started to tear down the tent, stealing everything in the household: from gas ovens to teapots. Asked who they were, they claimed to not being locals but inhabitants of Hebron settlement Kiryat Arba. Trying in vain to stop the stealing of his property, the Palestinian farmer managed to stop an army jeep. The soldiers however told the man to call the police, even though the soldiers witnessed all belongings of the Palestinian family being stolen and stuffed in to cars.

At 11 am the settlers were gone and with them the a Palestinian home. Police later arrived and took the information about the incident, though they stated that since there were “no evidence of Palestinian residence” at the location, therefore the only crime committed by the settlers were property theft. Left without shelter, food or water the family are now homeless by force. After several hours under burning sun, they received a primitive tent and basic food supplies from the red cross.

Palestinian shepherds and farmers in the South Hebron Hills live under constant threat from settler attacks. The settlers systematically attack Palestinians in order to dispute their land, when they succeed in their intimidation they can state that the land is not used by Palestinians. There are several settler attacks reported weekly in the region.
www.palestinemonitor.org...

25 June 2008
Israeli settlers from the settlements of Yizhar and Bracha attacked the Palestinian village of Bureen and its lands on Thursday, May 19, burning huge amounts of farmland and entering the village to attack residents with stones. The settlers, including children, teenagers, and adults, burned olive groves as they moved into the village.

During the attack Thursday a 63-year-old Palestinian woman was assaulted by the settlers, sustaining wounds that required hospitalization. The settlers also set fire to olive groves spanning the width of the mountain. When Israeli soldiers reached the village they prevented the residents from trying to put out the fires for two hours. Residents said the soldiers were only there to protect the settlers and not the Palestinian people.

Imran said events like this happen one to two times a year. Other residents commented on the fact that they have never done anything to provoke the settlers. Imran said, “We are a peaceful, simple people. Many of us are farmers. We have no weapons. So why do they attack us?”

The settlers have also been known to put poison on the fields where the Bureen farmers graze their livestock. One farmer said his entire flock of sheep was wiped out in a month because of such poison.

But settlers have now developed a new way of terrorizing their Palestinian neighbors. They have begun building rockets and have fired two of them at the village to date...
www.palestinemonitor.org...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by A Conscience

I applaud the Israeli human rights group who recently provided video cameras to Palestinian farmers to capture the violent activities of the settlers, which would otherwise be undocumented.

"Footage of West Bank attack Footage from a video camera handed out by an Israeli human rights group appears to show Jewish settlers beating up Palestinians in the West Bank. An elderly shepherd, his wife and a nephew said they were attacked by four masked men for allowing their animals to graze near the settlement of Susia."

I fully agree, this is atrocious behaviour, which should be documented and acted upon. And I also applaud the actions of Peace Now and other campaign groups for highlighting these problems and raising awareness.

However my point is that there is a big gulf between inaction on the part of the government and police (through lack of political pressure and / or awareness) and the government actively condoning it.

Governments are not all seeing and all powerful (yet), and they do not know everything that goes on. Yours doesn't, mine doesn't, and neither does Israel's.

In this instance arrests were made and those that are found guilty will be duly punished under the rule of law. Bravo.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   

However my point is that there is a big gulf between inaction on the part of the government and police (through lack of political pressure and / or awareness) and the government actively condoning it.

On the contrary, this has and always has been part of the Israel's Government plan (from Sharon's time) to eventually grab as much land (illegally) from the Palestinian and ultimately create a unviable Palestinain state. Let's face it, given the choice, they would gladly see the Palestinians pushed out to sea.

"Between sixty and one hundred settlements lie outside areas that most observers consider could realistically be annexed to Israel. Most of these settlements were created by Sharon during his previous cabinet positions—quite explicitly to prevent the creation a territorially viable Palestinian entity. Between September 1995, in the Oslo II accord, and March 2000, successive Israeli governments were envisioning maintaining all but the most isolated of these settlements and dividing the new Palestinian state into a series of non-contiguous cantons. What the Israelis presented in peace talks in Taba, Egypt in January largely abandoned this strategy, reducing them to a small number of settlement blocs. Under Sharon, however, they have reverted to the old strategy without apparent U.S. objections."
source:www.fpif.org...

To think that the Israel government does not know what is going on, is in my opinion, extremely naive. Who else controls the army?

Mr. Blair met with the mayor of At-Tuwani as well as members of Christian Peacemaker Teams and Operation Dove, who described the attacks and harassment Palestinians experience from Israeli settlers and soldiers when Palestinians attempt to access their land.

The conversation also highlighted Israeli government inaction toward settler aggression, exemplified by the government's failure to follow through with the demolition orders on the illegal Israeli outpost of Havat Ma'on.

When asked what he will do about this situation, Mr. Blair answered, "It's got to be stopped, hasn't it? This is what should happen.
www.cpt.org...

On 22 May 2003, Al-Haq and 12 Hebron Residents submitted a petition to the Israeli High Court of Justice against the Israeli Prime Minister, the Minister of Defence and the Minister for Interior Security. The petition challenged the pattern of impunity granted to settlers who have committed violent acts against Palestinians and their property in the old city of Hebron, which are H2 areas under complete and effective Israeli control. The cases included in the petition cover physical attacks with water, eggs, rocks, knives, Molotov cocktails, live shooting and even shells; targeting the Palestinians themselves and their cars, homes, livestock and crops; resulting in crimes of burglary, attempted arson and arson, as well as other property destruction, attempted murder and murder. The murder victims were two children aged respectively two and fourteen.

Not only are these cases of violence ineffectively prevented, investigated and punished on a routinely basis, but sometimes the Israeli occupying forces intervene only against the Palestinians attempting to protect themselves or expel them from their homes in order to appease the attackers.
www.alhaq.org...

link   

This is to further reveal the true motives of the settlements and the government's grubby hands behind it.

The following methods are used by the Israeli Occupying Power to attain its illegal demographic objectives:

1. Home Demolition – Between 1967 and 2009 Israel has demolished over 24,102 houses in the OPT, including the recent events in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank and East Jerusalem.12 A noticeable increase in demolitions and displacement in the Jerusalem district was recently reported by OCHA,13 which increases the pressure on Palestinians residents of Jerusalem to move into the West Bank.

2. Land Confiscation and Colonization – Israel occupies the entire surface of the West Bank (some 5,860 km2) and has confiscated or de facto annexed more than 3,350 km2.14 The confiscated lands owned by Palestinians are allocated to the exclusive use of Jewish settlers and to building and expanding the illegal Jewish-only settlements (colonies). According to the 2008 data from the Israeli Central Bureau of Statistics,
approximately 290,000 Jews live in the 120 (official) colonies and dozens of outposts established throughout the occupied West Bank over the past 41 years.15 The official statistics do not reflect the actual scope and nature of the illegal Israeli settlement activity in the OPT. More than 30 settlements and the extensive construction of buildings and infrastructure have been carried out on lands privately-owned by
Palestinians in the West Bank, but are not included in the official Israeli government statistics.

3. The Closure Regime and Separation Wall – There is clear evidence of internal displacement as a result of lack of access to essential services because of the ‘closure regime’ and the construction of the separation Wall and its associated regime, which is making the situation of Palestinians, especially those in enclaves, untenable. Freedom of movement is systematically denied through an elaborate regime of Israeli military checkpoints and obstacles, by-pass roads and infrastructure dividing the OPT.

4. Violence and Harassment by Jewish Settlers – The Palestinian civilians are subject to acts of (Jewish) community violence, inflicting on them great physical and mental suffering amounting to torture and/or cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment or punishment. The systematic Jewish settler harassment and aggressive actions against the Palestinians and their property, coupled with the absence of an effective response to enforce the rule of law by the relevant Israeli authorities,
resulted in additional displacement of Palestinians resident mainly in areas adjacent to Israeli settlements in the West Bank.17 A total of 523 settler-related incidents were recorded between January 2007 – October 2008.
www.badil.org...(18%20Feb%202009).pdf

link   

Lastly, this is a story told by an Israeli soldier with a conscience. It clearly illustrates even those in the army who objected to the inhuman treatment of the Palestinians by the settlers, feel powerless when they are just pawns in this insidious game.

A Soldier's Story

A reserve soldier serving in Hebron in 1994 wrote the following to the then Minister of Education and Culture, MK Amnon Rubinstein:

'On January 17, during my reserve service in Hebron, I witnessed a serious incident in which a group of settlers attacked vegetable stands belonging to local residents. I was unable to stop the rioters because the orders we received do not include that possibility. Even after the event, when I asked one of the commanders whether we were permitted to arrest settlers during a riot [by them], I received an explicit "No" in response. I was also not permitted, despite my repeated requests and the promises that were made, to submit a complaint to the police about what I saw.

On that day I was with another soldier from my unit...at a lookout near one of the entrances to the Hebron casbah and the road leading to the Cave of the Patriarchs. At about 3:00 p.m., a group of Jewish girls, accompanied by young men with weapons and a few older women, came out of the alleyway leading from the casbah. During the entire time, the girls kept dumping the produce and trampling on them. They treated our demands to stop with contempt. In the meantime, one of the settlers' escorts slashed the four tires of an Arab car parked nearby and smashed the front windshield.

The soldier who was with me seized the young fellow who had slashed the tires. In the meantime, the owner of the car arrived, and a fight broke out between him and the person who had damaged his car. The officer in the jeep ordered the two separated, and in the melee that followed, during which the settler girls shouted at the soldiers in the jeep and sprayed them with water, the tire slasher escaped. The girls also fled.

We were told that the police would be summoned to take our testimony. A few minutes later the regional battalion commander arrived with a police jeep. The policeman spoke to the soldier who was on guard with me but did not take proper testimony. We emphasised to the battalion commander that we could identify the rioters, especially the one who had damaged the car. The battalion commander promised that we would be taken to regional brigade headquarters to give written testimony.

When I returned to the base, I asked the operations room officer to ask battalion HQ when we would be taken to give our written testimony. The officer explained "If the soldier wants to testify, let him come to regional brigade HQ." We had no way to get there, since individual soldiers may not cross Hebron on foot unescorted. So no testimony was taken from us. The next day we went home on a two-day leave.

I was very upset by the whole incident. A group of settlers had maliciously damaged the property and sullied the honour of Arabs in front of IDF soldiers, fearless and contemptuous of us and our demands that they stop. The orders we received did not enable us to arrest rioting Jews. My repeated requests in this matter encountered an apathetic bureaucratic reaction and the incredible advice to cross Hebron by foot without an escort in order to give a statement. I heard similar stories from soldiers doing compulsory service who are on duty in the area. In every confrontation with settlers, they encounter a coarse reaction and feel powerless. My impression is that in cases of attacks by settlers on local residents, anything goes. Is this really the policy of the government and the IDF?
www.phrmg.org...

Additional "must read"
www.articlesbase.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Both sides are at fault with the blessing of NATO and UN , get over it...

top topics

join