It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Keeps His Big Apple Pledge $24,000 Date!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Obama keeps his Big Apple Pledge $24,000 Date!!!!!!

www.nypost.com

Two martinis, a swank restaurant, a Broadway show -- President Obama really knows how to treat a First Lady.

"I am taking my wife to New York City because I promised her during the campaign that I would take her to a Broadway show after it was all finished," the president said yesterday after touching down at JFK for an intimate night on the town.

PHOTOS: Obama's NYC Date

The first couple left their girls, Sasha and Malia, behind at the White House yesterday afternoon, taking two helicopter
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: All Caps Title– Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/1/2009 by JacKatMtn]

[edit on 1-6-2009 by habu71]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Absolutely unbelievable.....Obama finally delivers on a pledge..And what is it?

He spends $24,000 of taxpayer money taking Michelle to New York for dinner and a show.......

But wait, he did take a Gulfstream instead of the VC25 (guess the VC25 was doing another photo op somewhere.....

Does anyone else see a problem with this????

www.nypost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Nope. It is what I have to expect of whatever president is in office. They make tax slaves out of us all so that they can live like kings for a day.

No problem.

Nothing out of the ordinary here.

No reason to rebel.

I think I shall tivo american idol tonight because thats all I care about...

What a minute... My sarcasm button was stuck.

DARN YOU OBAMMAAAAAA!!!

24,000 for a date and we can't pay our bills because the Fed took over the banks and shut down the factories...

Sucks all the way around!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Wow BO that is a pretty pricey date even for a rich guy. Lets see, the average social security check is around $800, people live for 3 months or more on what he blew on one date. Nice..
So much for him being a regular guy who understands what the common man goes through!

If he used his own cash for the date, fine...but if it was government money then that is wrong. Must be nice.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by habu71

He did make something like $2.6 million last year.

I am sure some of it was his own cash, at least I hope so.

I will say this about Obama, he has not taken a vacation that I am aware of. I am not so sure that is a good thing since I have not really cared for anything he is working so hard on.

That being said, I really hated how Bush was always on vacation. Although I know that a president is never really on vacation.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Being President doesn't mean you are now chained to the Oval Office. He's still a human and an American citizen.
I don't think that a $24k price tag is really that outrageous. When you concider all the personel involved in security alone and the time involved to place that security for what, a 6-8hr date? I think it was thoughtful for him to take the gulfstream instead of AF1.
What do you expect him to do, take a taxi? fly coach? or better yet he just should've ordered in and brought the Broadway show to the Whitehouse.
I'm not nessasarily an 'Obama lover' but the man is entitled to alittle free time to spend with his wife and we the taxpayers do have to pay for his security and well being.
Any idea how much it cost for us taxpayers to house him in the Whitehouse for one day?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Democratic mantra: Do as I say, not as I do.

Hypocrisy #1: Carbon emissions. Two helicopters and a plane. And probably a 10 car motorcade. Hypocrisy #2: Fiscal irresponsibility. There are still Dem voters waiting for Obama to pay their mortage and gas bills, why is he wasting money on a vacation after 100 days?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Democratic mantra: Do as I say, not as I do.

Hypocrisy #1: Carbon emissions. Two helicopters and a plane. And probably a 10 car motorcade. Hypocrisy #2: Fiscal irresponsibility. There are still Dem voters waiting for Obama to pay their mortage and gas bills, why is he wasting money on a vacation after 100 days?

Talk about hypocrisy?

You mean like spending 1/3 of your time in office on vacation outside the White House like former President little boots.

Another chance at some faux controversy.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Thread Here

$24,000? I'm willing to bet that the real figure is much higher for
the taxpayers ... with security and overtime and ________ ....

The White House refuses to say how much the weekend trip cost.

Obama took his wife to dinner and to see a play about black skinned share croppers.

It's one of two campaign promises he has actually kept - the other
was to get his kids a dog.

reply to post by AllexxisF1

Bush43 went to Crawford and WORKED duiring his 'vacation' time there

[edit on 6/1/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This is sickening. Just plain sickening. Can't add much more...

just another line.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
, why is he wasting money on a vacation after 100 days?

It's not his first vacation either. Remember Valentines Day? He took AirForce One and flew Wifeypoo to Chicago for a long weekend .. and to go out to eat. All on the taxpayer ...

This guy doesn't ever work. (that's a good thing!)

He's already worn out.

NY Post - Obama

Oh ... and while we are complaining about his spending ....

Obama's Weekly Cocktail Parties

[edit on 6/1/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Conservatives never bitch about an illegal war, botched rescue of victims of Katrina, oversight of the markets and it's players while it Peter Pan'ed into the abyss or the unthinkable in the ordering of torture.

But...

They are super pissed about Obama going to N.Y. with his wife for dinner and a play.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Don't have a problem with him taking his wife out, but to go to the expense of flying and all the security, etc., yeah. I understand, he's the president and has to have his entourage of secret service and all that, but come on. Would a local restaurant and theater be so bad? Wonder why the restaurant owners and theater owners in DC aren't upset that he doesn't spend any money with them? Why all the expense of flying around the country for a date?

Plus, there are so many other things going on and the economy sucks, it was a tasteless thing to do. Or did he say the economy was getting better, after he stated we were out of money to justify the tens of thousands it took for his date.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Nice to see the president honoring a campaign promise.

You can easily break a promise to the people, breaking a promise to the wife is a different story.

Seriously, what is the big deal here?

When you are spending trillions in an attempt to fix an inherited problem, what is a few thousand dollars wasted here or there?

Being the new owner of GM, banks etc our president and wife should be able to get out and live the life of the former big executives.

For the longer personal trips in the future I suggest that the president opt to use the smaller more fuel efficient GM corporate jets the government now own rather than the huge 747 as air force 1.

Could create or save money in the long term.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Maybe in reality it would of only cost 2,400 for his whole date experience but with the hyper inflation and sucky economy the new inflated numbers are 24,000??

Eh?
Anyone ever consider that?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhead57
Wow BO that is a pretty pricey date even for a rich guy. Lets see, the average social security check is around $800, people live for 3 months or more on what he blew on one date. Nice..
So much for him being a regular guy who understands what the common man goes through!

If he used his own cash for the date, fine...but if it was government money then that is wrong. Must be nice.

Little problem with your math.

$24,000 Broadway date / $800 per month in SS = 30 months

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Why did they need 3 planes? It seems to me the only people other than Barack and Michelle that needed to be there are secret service for security. Why do the taxpayers need to pay for his aides and reporters to tag along as well?

Unbelievable.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

Some aspiring reporter should dig into this story and I know some may think this is trivial but I think it is important.

That reporter should verify the receipts from this extravaganza he put on for his wife. Do a FOI request or ask his mouth-piece Robert Gibbs about it. See if tax dollars where used, and if so, how much? Then correlate to see how much of his own income was used for this "date night," as the media gleefully refers to it as.

This man is supposed to lead by example and his fellow countrymen are struggling right now and he should take on some of that slack as a symbol of solidarity with the rest of us.

In other words, I would not take my wife on a 24-thousand-dollar date right now and even if I promised her. It's not appropriate given the current state of affairs.

Twenty-four-thousand dollars is a lot of money to many people and to find out it came from tax dollars exclusively would be devastating to people losing everything right now.

Kind of takes you back to the French Revolution era when Marie Antoinette heard that her countrymen where starving and she said to an advisor that famous line, "Let them eat cake."

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I'm surprised more Obama supporters aren't on here pissed off as all heck. There is a class war going on and the rich keep getting away with everything at the expense of the poor and middle class. This head of state/corporate CEO is taking advantage of you. We need to send a message to Obama that rich people are bad........right?

Personally I could care less what he does but this is a huge double standard.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Anjin]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soldat401
Why did they need 3 planes? It seems to me the only people other than Barack and Michelle that needed to be there are secret service for security. Why do the taxpayers need to pay for his aides and reporters to tag along as well?

Unbelievable.

Because,

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3f80ae6b703d.jpg[/atsimg]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join