It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air France Jet Disappears on Flight From Brazil to Paris

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Air France Jet Disappears on Flight From Brazil to Paris

www.nytimes.com

Air France said Monday that it had lost contact with a passenger plane travelling from Rio de Janeiro to Paris. “We have received no news from flight AF 447,” said an Air France spokeswoman in Paris, Brigitte Barrand.

Reuters reported that there were 216 passengers and 12 crew members aboard the plane.

A Brazilian Air Force spokesman, quoted by The Associated Press, said that the plane disappeared over the Atlantic Ocean and a search is under way near the Brazilian island of Fernando de Noronha.

The plane had been scheduled to land at Paris’s Charles de Gaulle airport at 11:15 a.m. Paris time after a nonstop flight that left Rio 7 p.m. local time on Sunday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-6-2009 by grover]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
They like to say that air travel is the safest form of travel... except when it isn't.

It has probably gone down in the ocean and depending on how it landed there may be some survivors but sadly I doubt it.

Such news makes me nervous especially since I am flying half way around the world in December.

Let us hope that they are safe and if not died quickly.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Any news on the aircraft's last altitude? Was it decending or did it just disapear? From what I have seen on the news it looks like they lost contact just off the coast of Brazil and the MSM is blabing about it just disapearing.. Makes me wonder about what the webot alta 6 report said.

Sailor

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Currently watching Sky News where this is receiving a lot of coverage.

Experts have stated that there must have been a 'catastrophic event' for both engines to fail simultaneously fail and a total communictions breakdown.

This twin engined plane should have been able to glide for quite some time in the event of engine failure giving plenty of time for a communication to hve been relayed somewhere, none hs been received?

Apparently these type of aircraft's flight paths must remain within 400 miles of a deversionry runway.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Hmmm...bad news.

The information in the BBC news report does not add up...

news.bbc.co.uk...

The flight took off at 2200 GMT, and was supposed to land at 0910 GMT, ie. 11:10 hours later.
The distance is 9225km, so an average speed of 826kmh, thats ok.

It says they lost contact at 0600 GMT, so the plane should have covered about 6,608 km, which would put it right on the Canary Islands.

But they are searching around Fernando de Noronha, which is only 2,500 km from Rio.

Perhaps they know the plane turned around, mid-flight? Or the info is wrong, I think the 0600 figure is wrong.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Yeah, just saw this on the "DailyMail" nexs site..link

As usual I wonder who was on the passenger list and why it was lost.

Seems like there's more and more of these incidents happening quite regularly....or perhaps we are just hearing about them more.

Why can't they just let the public use the high-speed underground tunnels that criss-cross the globe instead of sealing themselves into metal projectiles that have so much that go wrong with them.

Not much hope of survivors now and we'll just have to wait for more reports.

My sympathy for the families and friends of the passengers and crew.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Frobnicate

Sources from France suspected the plane disappeared off the North West African coast, east of The Canaries.

However, Brazilian officils hve just said contact was lost off their coast near Rio?

link   
Already here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the existing thread, thank you

Thread Closed

link   
reply to post by Frobnicate

As with everything in these situations, the details will be drip fed to the media. They will know within 2-300 sq miles where the plane went down (if it did go down) and hence why they are searching that location.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Edit: Thread already closed.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Gemwolf]

join