It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Suspends North Korea Exchanges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   

China Suspends North Korea Exchanges

www.bloomberg.com

June 1 (Bloomberg) -- China suspended government exchanges with North Korea after Kim Jong-Il’s regime last week tested a nuclear device and fired short-range missiles, Yonhap News said.

China has halted plans to send officials to North Korea and won’t accept visits from Kim’s government either, the Korean- language news agency said today, citing unidentified diplomatic sources in Beijing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Now, is this just political posturing by China or are they really being genuine in their opposition to North Korea? When I see China take some actual measurable stance against NK, then I will believe that they are being serious. Until then, I think they are just doing what they think the world wants to see.

I guess time will tell.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Does not matter what China does, military, or diplomatically, North Korea will turn a blind eye. They do not care what the world thinks. North Korea are determined to obtain a nuclear arsenal. No matter what the consenquencies might be.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I disagree. I think that it matters a great deal what China does in this situation. Any real action against North Korea will need the green light from China. If they really want to put in more effective sanctions, China has to be a willing participant. If China opposes action against North Korea and chooses to side with them, that will make any military response that much more difficult.

In my opinion, China is pivotal in this situation.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Without Chinas support they are doomed.
Iran could lend a hand still I guess tho.
Without one of the worlds superpowers behind them then they are a sitting duck.
Ole Kimmie should watch his step now.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Without Chinese assistances or support, the regime is vulnerable to potential rebellion from within or from external sources.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
... What would happen if perhaps Iran declared a mutual defense pact?
Perhap something similar to WW1 Allies

'' If Korea's attacked, we will consider it an attack on ourselvs '' sort of deal..

I think China have pulled the plug on support because they know the real lengths of Kims madness, but Iran could see it as the '' innocent '' entry into a conflict with Israel/US

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
can`t see Iran doing that - they have there own situation to deal with and with the upcoming elections the front runners have there hands full

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Interesting.

I think China is being sensible and making the right move here.

If NK is deemed as a serious threat to global stability, several countries in the region would be justified in attacking.
Even if it was (and it probably would be) a strategic strike on nuclear sites, there is a risk to China in the aftermath.

They don't want NK playing around with nuclear weapons any more than the rest of the world, because they are right next door and as soon as something goes wrong, they risk either direct environmental and public health problems, and a massive influx of refugees from NK.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Does not matter what China does, military, or diplomatically, North Korea will turn a blind eye. They do not care what the world thinks. North Korea are determined to obtain a nuclear arsenal. No matter what the consenquencies might be.

Actually it does matter Laurauk. China was the last country trading with North Korea and NK can't survive without that trade. This is the vital step necessary to bring NK to it's senses and get a peaceful resolution.

Bravo Beijing... better late than never

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Honour and respect are important to Chinese and is engrained in their 'psyche'.

For China to do this signifies a big snub to NK and a indicates a switch in policy.

If Russia, China and Japan are all in agreement then I suspect it will only be a matter of time before NK change their own policy or there is 'regime change'.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
NK, already on the brink of starving to death, will fail as a state if China holds this pattern. Their assistance of food and material are what props up the regime of Il.
This could be a good sign for the region. Looks like China is tired of Il's shenanigans and does not want an unstabel nuclear power on their border.

Obs out

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Every nation is walking on egg shells now around the crazy little fat man.
It should be obvious to all concerned that he is short a few brain cells.

All the world is watching. In my opinion the only world leader that would want a war is fat boy. The rest of the nations know it could be a flash and burn war and all would lost. Nobody in his/her right mind would start WW3. Not even the US.

We have to be careful and hope the alphabet agencies get to the little man and create a change of attitude in NK. This is a perfect shot for the CIA or other organization to show what it's got and save us from becoming crispy critters.

I favor the idea of getting the situation taken care of from the inside out. Maybe the maniac will have another heart attack and it will destroy him and his people will rise up and have a coup.

When all is said and done always follow the money trail. Nobody wins
in another WW. The tunnel rats, cave dwellers, underground communities will not be able to enjoy the spoils of war for many, many years.

The collective nations have more than enough firepower to destroy every living thing on this earth.

Our wars are best fought in the economic theater. In that aspect, I Would say we are in all out war now.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by dizziedame]

[edit on 1-6-2009 by dizziedame]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sy.gunson

Well seems I am the only one with the opinion that North Korea does not care, what the outside world thinks. They basically stuck thier two fingers up to China and the rest of the world, when they launched those missiles. But supposes we are all entitled to our own opinions.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Nah I think China is sick of North Korea and realizes that nobody would benefit from a third world war.

Good on China.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Honour and respect are important to Chinese and is engrained in their 'psyche'.

For China to do this signifies a big snub to NK and a indicates a switch in policy.

If Russia, China and Japan are all in agreement then I suspect it will only be a matter of time before NK change their own policy or there is 'regime change'.

I think this is NK's turning point, as long as China hold to this, NK will have to make a decision:

1. They back down, return to discussions and change comes about through diplomacy.

2. They ignore China's response and continue regardless. This will mean an attack on SK is imminent, because without their China lifeline, they'll have no choice but to take SK by force for the infrastructure, fuel and resources to fight.

The response of NK to China now will be the deciding factor. If they ignore it, the world will know that NK has indeed lost its mind and is completely unstable.

Even if they accept it and comply with China's wishes, there will still be a lot of suspicion that they are just buying time and delaying a military response while they prepare. But at least they'll still be being watched and any potential action will likely be seen in advance.

I hope NK takes this seriously and backs down. If they don't and we get to the point where China ceases all fuel supply, and NK still doesn't back off, we can expect an attack on the south.

top topics

join