It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever seen a "Toynbee Tile" ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I have, and they've always befuddled me. Wiki has a good article on it, God bless 'em. Perhaps you've seen one too and wondered about it...

The Toynbee tiles (also called Toynbee plaques) are messages of mysterious origin found embedded in asphalt in about two dozen major cities in the United States and three South American capitals.[1] Since the 1980s, several hundred tiles have been discovered. They are generally about the size of an American license plate, but sometimes considerably larger. They contain some variation on the following inscription:

TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER.

Some of the more elaborate tiles also feature cryptic political statements or exhort readers to create and install similar tiles of their own. The material used for making the tiles was long a mystery, but evidence has emerged that they may be primarily made of layers of linoleum and asphalt crack-filling compound.

Articles about the tiles began appearing in the mid-1990s, though references may have started to appear in the mid-1980s.[2]

Source:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

OK I did a quick google image search and found a few of them listed. To tell the truth they dont really look all that special to me. But if they are found in all those locations then that is a mystery.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

There's one at the major crossing of Mass Ave in Harvard Square, Cambridge MA that's been there at least since the early 80s, maybe earlier. I used to live around there and I spent lots of time wondering what the heck that was all about. Later I saw one in Philly and also Chicago...they are all over the place

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
This is really interesting to me, I have been discovering TV remote controls glued to various things in my city, Sydney. Two of them have words on them. Fear and Apathy. They are small concrete molds of TV remotes. One is glued to a mono rail support beam, another is glued underneath a red light camera outside a court.

I really like these kind of subversive art works.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I almost makes me wonder if it is just a prank from the movie companies, to uplift marketing, and it being just a publicity stunt!

Edit - Although, it does seem a little odd that they are all around the world!

Here is a pretty random video I found on youtube, try and avoid the music
:

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Piranha]

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Piranha]

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I've never seen one in person, but they are curiously interesting.
There is a new documentary about the Toynbee Tiles that digs pretty deep into the mystery, and has piqued my interest on the subject.
Here is a link to the trailer on TheFreeStyleLife.com: thefreestylelife.com...
Does anyone have any additional info to share?

top topics

join