Those With ADHD Are the new race "Aquarian Children"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

I noticed that I was more focused (normal) when I stopped drinking Cola for a while, but thats when I started meditating too, so I don't know. But all other sugars an stuff thats just normal hyperness from the sugar rush I think...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I've always kinda thought of the way I think to be above the norm, on a lot of issues. Not that I'm that smart or anything misguided, just a thought process. I"ve always believe the saying applied as well, "you can do whatever you put your mind to..." I know I CAN, just I don't seem to want to...

So yea I can see how it relates to the OP. Maybe it has to do with the mind's understanding or awareness? A different level of consciousness?

But I would have always been afraid to tell someone else I think I might be on to something sometimes....they just say I think to much lol. So I keep that stuff to myself

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by king Pop!p

lol good to know we aren't alone. I always absorbed the information is the best way to describe it. In class it I paid more attention to other peoples reaction to questions and what questions they were asking than I did anything else.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Karrotz

Yeah I TOTALLY FOLLOW THAT

I guess I seem narcissistic to some people, but I always think I can handle anything, or achieve absolutely anything, without reserve. Sometimes I make the mistake of running my mouth too much about it and put myself in an awkward position...

I mean, I guess you have to trust in yourself.. but I like to think I can mentally put myself above anyone.. even though there are many people smarter than me in many things.. but I am an ultra fast learner.. so I think I can handle it..

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
btw, who PM'd me about the birthday..

Yeah, Im a leo as well.. aug 7..

perhaps we all share something there as well

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Both my son and I have this gawd-awful-totally-misunderstood-dreadful-allergy. That's how I like to refer to 'it'. We're allergic to focus and order, time-management, anything sedentary, everything slow, routines, schedules...basically everything that makes normal daily lives functional.

It really does have a stigma attached to the label, which is another reason we like to refer to it as "allergies". We both actually do have horrible allergies as well. I've often wondered if there were a link between the two diagnosis.

I have three children, he's my middle child and it just so happens the two of us really are Aquarians (January birthdates - 4 days apart)! Go figure

A few noticeable traits we share, and have found many other ADD/ADHDers also share (depending on their level/severity):

We are both considered accelerated in Math and Science. For instance, he's a 6th grader, taking 8th grade math and has been recommended/referred by the state school board for Algebra I (high school level) for next year. He'll be entering the 7th grade.

We both have 'sensory' issues (I can't think of the term at this moment), something that has to do with fine motor skills and writting (can't remember what else it entails). He's been professionally labeled with this (supposed) disability (the Psych's label), while I haven't been formally pinned with that one, but do share the same 'doctor-style' hand-writing. (I was always so jealous of the pretty girly writing of my class-mates).

High IQs; although, it doesn't really seem to matter much, since it's hard to get through studies anyway. We're usually the ones with "talks excessively or too much" on our school progress reports, that and the famous, "she/he is smart, but doesn't apply him/herself, nor follow direction".

My desk was always pushed up to the teacher's desk, sometimes even moved to the hallway.

Often times we're labeled 'Gifted' or even 'Autistic' (not sure I understand the reason for that one).

We don't seem to understand grammar or spelling rules. We never learn that way. Always have to 'memorize' the words or answers for testing purposes, as logic and sequence don't seem to make sense to us (at least not at first, if it ever does).

Oh man, I could write all day. Hey look! My mind is just going with this one. lol.

Did I mention that we're both Aquarians (ispell checker keeps wanting to flag this one, it looks correct)? My other children are Cancer and Taurus and totally 'normal'-no allergies, nor ADHD, perfectly healthy.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by SourGrapes]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Amazing how fast a thread can grow. An ADHD magnet for sure.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Its crazy how most of of can relate as if were looking at our lives threw someone else's body and experience. (did that makes sense?)Lol I stumble on my words all the time. and I also get a little to excited when some one says a joke and I drag it and get so loud that I catch my self thinking in my head like "whoa was that, that funny? *crickets sounds*" lol...

Whats amazing is that I can listen to the radio watch T.V and surf and read the net all at one time, an understand whats going on.lol indecisiveness comes with the territory my brother, don't worry about it.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by king Pop!p

whoa.. i do that all the time.. where i laugh real loud, then im like wtf..

then just like.. guess its time to hit the old dusty trail LOL

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
Yeah, I have it too, guys, and it's not all it's cracked up to be, trust me.
Karrotz, me and you are on the same page. I favor typing or writing anyday - I can facilitate my thoughts and get my points across better. But when I'm talking, I stumble (and studder a little) over my words. My brain definetly works faster than my mouth could handle.
And I catch myself getting loud because I'm impulsive. It ties in because someone will say something funny, and I'll just lose it, and next thing you know my friends are telling me (for the 3rd time) to keep it down because people are sleeping in the house.
I mean, I guess there are a few benefits, but the cons outweigh the benefits.
I can only concentrate on something (or even just DO something) better if I WANT to do it. If I don't want to do something, it's very hard. Then I get down on myself for falling short.
I also think it has to do with motivation. That word, I really believe, has alot to do with this disorder.
I can play 4 instruments, record a whole band, and do all the mixing with my hands tied behind my back - and I never even went to school for any of it. All because I really wanted to.
They say I am very smart. I see it, but I always sweep it under the rug and downplay it, like I don't deserve it or something...
But the more important things in life - like responsibilites - the things most of us hate to do, I have failed miserably. Because they're boring and not interesting. I swear I am like a big kid sometimes...
Oh, and as far as the concentration is concerned, man... It's like that commercial for some kind of ADD medication (from a a few years ago). It's like the TV just keeps changing channels, and I don't have the remote.
ADD has given me this distinct personality that either you love me or you hate me.
And I'm so damn sensitive. Also have a broad range of emotions. I'm not talking Bi-polar or anything like that, but it just seems like my (or our) emotions can mix with emotions that can mix with others, resulting in like I said - a broad range. Anyone feel me on that one?
Guhhh... A curse it is, but hey. That's what makes me that guy, right?
Anyway, S&F. I've been hoping for a thread like this, although I don't think having this disorder makes me special.
But that's just me. Or is it?
Oh, and does anyone else (with ADD) have a problem with indecisiveness?

Edit to add: Actually, I just went back and read the rest of the posts, and we are striking similar in our ways, it's almost creepy. Hell, it IS creepy.
Wow.

[edit on 6/1/2009 by impaired]

Pretty much sums it up there my friend, all around the board, ha.

I do think "we" are different, but I seriously believe it's a disadvantage, today especially. I mean, if you can't muster the will to work hard, even if you don't want to, that doesn't leave much room for success. Also, as you said, I think perhaps I pick up on the wrong things, or the things I shouldn't be concerned about, and I tend to get left behind in that regard....Besides, it just seems so pointless to try.....

Indecisiveness? lol, I switched major FOUR times in college!!! I had a full scholarship to J'W University, but, well, I had no idea what I wanted to do. School wasn't education, it was learning what you needed to to pass the test, then forget everything you "learned" so you can "learn" the next subject...

But I've only recently learned that I have ADHD, so now it's just a matter of understanding it and using what strengths it does, if any, give me and figure out what I'm good at. That's gonna be the hard part....

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

I do have bad allergies as well..

damn pollen, dust and ragweed -

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Karrotz

dude my roommate at school had adhd too.. talk about indecisive ... took him like 10 minutes when we went somewhere to eat.. he would go uhhmm.. duhhh..uuhhhh. LOL

I was never like that though, I am more of that "ANTZY" type.. like come on lets go jesus christ... etc.. HAHAHA

You should see me trying to wait on the golf course behind slow players..

I just walk in big circles in the fairway LOL

Just like I walk around my room in circles when I am trying to think of something

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
So I guess ADD/ADHD really does exist after all.

But seriously, do you folks favor music or are you guys musicians or artists? I wanna try to find a pattern here... Because I do know that if there is one thing that we can trump on a "normal" person, it's that we have a gigantic imagination, no?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   

WOW me and my son have allergies. I have sinusitis.lol and I didn't excel in math but in Science and social studies I aced, an I also have a high I.Q score (Genious supposedly).

Ahh man this thread is so interesting!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

trance.. beats... i need beats..

usually the faster the better

you will see me listening to UK hardcore (electronic) music, and be like WTF is this guy on.. well if you caught me in a club, you would def. know LOL.. but just everyday normal life stuff.. nope.. just I need the music..

That could also be from a history of other things associated lol.. but I think you get the point

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

I do have bad allergies as well..

damn pollen, dust and ragweed -

Yeppers! Same here. Coincidence?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the 'hyper'-focus. Like, do any of you go to clean a filthy kitchen and end up taking apart the faucet to clean it so perfectly that it gleams? Meanwhile you turn around to notice how the kitchen is still a hot-mess and 'oh yeah' there's my lunch I forgot to eat, like hours ago?

But, it's all good right? I mean the faucet is clean enough to drink out of...lol. Or, is it just me

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karrotz

But I would have always been afraid to tell someone else I think I might be on to something sometimes....they just say I think to much lol. So I keep that stuff to myself
Same here thats why I love ATS. Perfect place aint it?

I do think its another level of consciousness or something like that definitely.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
anyone here also have problems going to sleep at all

(well obviously)

Like right now the markets are hitting highs for the year, and all I can do is watch the charts.. i get pretty excited lol..

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

I need my rock. Just something with deep bass, nice kick drum, and powerful chords and melody. I need this stuff, it's basically a sustenance.
If I wasn't a musician or into music in general, it would be terrible. And that's an understatement.

Oh, I don't know which one of you guys said you had ADHD when younger but manifested itself to ADD. That's my case as well.
I was beyond hyper when I was younger. Now I'm chill. I mean, I have my spazzes, but I can't run around like I used to. Not since I hit puberty, as a matter of fact. That's when I lost the H part. Interesting... I just realized this. Thanks guys!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Im the straight opposite of that..

I find myself not caring about anything but.. well like I already said, equities, markets, and golf..

but if that is "your thing" then that is "your thing" like this is "my thing" there are apparently triggers we all have

But again, reference my old roomate.. he would clean and clean and clean LOL

CRAZY CLEANER LOL!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join