It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration sides with Saudis on 9/11 suit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Obama administration sides with Saudis on 9/11 suit

rawstory.com

Relatives of 9/11 victims who filed a lawsuit seeking to pin blame on the Saudi royal family for financing attacks against the United States just acquired a significant new opponent: the Obama administration.

A Department of Justice brief (PDF link) filed with the Supreme Court on Friday argues that the Saudi royal family is party to a sovereign state and cannot be sued in American courts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.startribune.com
www.nytimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Video: 9/11 Press For Truth
Free 9/11 Researcher Starter Pack

[edit on 31-5-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
This action puts the proverbial 'final nail in the coffin' on the cover up.

Should come to no surprise when you consider it took Bush six years to publicly acknowledge that 15 or the 19 alleged 9/11 terrorists were from Saudi Arabia, that the Bin Ladens are old business associates of the Bush family and that it took a group of dedicated 911 widows to push the Bush administration to form a 9/11 Commission, and then when their report failed to answer the widows' questions, they were ignored.
(covered in the documentary 9/11: Press for Truth)

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-5-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I guess that this is the change you can believe in. It starts with Bush flying the Bin Laden family out of the US while all flights are grounded before they can be debriefed by the FBI and now it ends with Obama esentially declaring Soverign Immunity on behalf of foreigners.

I am really HOPING for CHANGE now.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Obama makes me sick. He campaigned as someone who knew the law. Now he's like: hey you supporters, keep your blinders on, and I'll do it behind your backs... - Obama.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Wow! sorry for my early post I had made a mistake.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by impressme]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Maybe Obama is setting the stage for his upcoming visit to Saudi Arabia.

Scratching each other's back

Obama will visit Riyadh on June 3 in a surprise addition to his scheduled three-day trip to Egypt, Germany and France, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said on Tuesday.

Saudi Arabia, the world's top oil exporter, is a staunch U.S. ally in the region and potentially a key player in the drive for a solution to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, which Obama has declared a top foreign policy priority.

The Obama administration has embraced the 2002 Arab peace initiative, a proposal authored by Saudi Arabia that offered Israel normal ties with all Arab states in return for a full withdrawal from the lands it seized in the 1967 Middle East war, creation of a Palestinian state and a "just solution" for Palestinian refugees.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I never thought about that. Good point. It could have something to do with his visit with that Saudi person.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Saudi's had nothing to do with 9/11.

Obama knows this, just as Bush knew it. He doesn't want the truth to come out, or more accurately, those pulling his strings don't want the truth to come out.

Think about it. If these people wanted to sue the Saudi royal family, they would need evidence. There is little to none that backs up the official story. The Saudi's defense would provide a plethora of evidence to the contrary, and our government would be exposed.

This is why our government has done so much to protect the supposed perpetrators of 9/11. They don't want the truth to come out.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
More details revealed in another article:

The lawsuit, Federal Insurance Co. v. Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia, was initiated in 2003 by a consortium of insurance companies seeking to recover more than $300 billion for losses incurred by the 9/11 attacks.

The Saudi princes cited in the claims were:

* Prince Salman bin Abdulaziz al-Saud, president of SHC, who was warned in 2000 of his organization's ties to al Qaeda;

* Crown Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz al-Saud, the designated successor to King Abdullah, who received warnings as early as 1994 that some Muslim charitable groups were fronts for al Qaeda;

* Prince Naif bin Abdulaziz al-Saud, who as Saudi Minister of the Interior monitors and controls the charities operating in Saudi Arabia;

* Prince Turki al-Faisal bin Abdulaziz al-Saud, who was the director of the Kingdom's Department of General Intelligence ("DGI") until August 2001;

* Prince Mohamed al Faisal al Saud, who unlike the other princes named is not a government official but a bank manager alleged to have knowingly provided material sponsorship to international terrorism.

source: cbs2chicago.com...

[edit on 2-6-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
There is an important new angle emerging in the story of the 9/11 lawsuit against Saudi Arabia. As far as I understand one of the key impediments to a suit against the Saudis was the refusal of the US government to designate Saudi Arabia a state sponsor of terrorism.

Now as an outcome of the recent leak of 91,000 pages of documents on the Afghan war to Wikileaks, we learn that the US government made a diplomatic overture to Canada to join them in making a dèmarche to both Saudi Arabia and South Africa to crack down on Taliban fund raising in those countries.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

The United States, in a May 27, 2007 memo, asked Canada to put diplomatic pressure on both Saudi Arabia and South Africa, a Commonwealth partner.

American diplomats spoke with two senior Foreign Affairs officials, including senior director Yves Beaulieu, and asked Ottawa to join the Bush administration in issuing a joint diplomatic rebuke, or demarche, to the two countries.

"Beaulieu reacted positively to the suggestion that the United States and Canada jointly demarche Pretoria and Riyadh," said the cable

"Beaulieu said although he was not surprised to hear about Taliban fundraising in South Africa and Saudi Arabia, the government of Canada would need more information about specific (U.S. government) concerns before they could agree to jointly demarche other governments or independently demarche the UAE."

It's long been suspected the Taliban have relied on sympathetic Saudi charities to bankroll them.

The reference to the UAE, the United Arab Emirates, is also not a surprise, because intelligence officers have for years expressed concern about possible laundering of opium cash through the oil-rich emirates. The allegations have never been proven.

The revelation about South Africa is new, though, and raises questions about how wide and insidious the Taliban financing network might be.

To me it sounds like the US government, though not explicitly saying so, in practice considers the Saudi goverment a de facto "state sponsor of terrorism".

Potential complainents against the Saudi government will be happy to hear about this.

Note: There is some kind of coding issue going on with excerpts from websites. I can't get the entire quote into my post.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by ipsedixit]

new topics

top topics

join